The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Somewhere in the Forest of Dean

Following a trip into Lydney yesterday on domestic duties, Poppy and I decided to loop around via Parkend on our return with the intention of a stop somewhere to walk in the woods.

At Parkend I was taken with the idea of visiting somewhere I had always planned to visit but never had.

So, through Parkend, round onto the road to Bream and, just before entering the village, a right turn up a stony track into the Forest.

And we were here;

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.7580&lon=-2.5753&layers=171&b=1

Flour Mill steam restoration centre.

Marked on the map as Flour Mill Colliery and Oakwood Chemical Works.

Not open to the public but you can drive into the yard as it also gives access to Forest Lubricants. I was just curious to see what was there.

So, under the cover of walking the dog, I wandered by and around taking a few iPhone photos. Not the best, it was a very bright day with lots of shadow low down.

There is basically a large, clerestory roofed building looking not unlike a giant version of the old Airfix loco shed kit. Some buildings run on from it and in front of it there is a yard in which is parked and stored a number of locos, cranes and bits.

The approach

post-6861-0-36813000-1473980164_thumb.jpeg

The Yard

post-6861-0-65146600-1473980341.jpg

Two looking back along the building

post-6861-0-12348300-1473980374_thumb.jpeg

post-6861-0-39076300-1473980410_thumb.jpeg

And, walking around the other side, the yard and buildings

post-6861-0-20101300-1473980446_thumb.jpeg

Considering the undulating nature of the terrain and its, currently, heavily forested nature it is very difficult to see how the former network of lines and tramways ever existed.

It also pondered as I left on the 'road' to Flour Mill. It is anything but a road. It's a typical forest stone track, wide enough but hardly smooth or flat. No problem with a car but it must make low loader access challenging.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 6

Thanks for adding the photos Arthur. I did go down the track in my company car days but now that I have to buy my own cars, this one with lowered suspension and low profile tyres, it's a site I shan't see again for a while. Must have been very hard getting Black Prince down there.

Dissapointing. At 10.52 Saturday the guest railcar didn't appear around the curve from Whitecroft - so I waited and waited. Finally phoned DFR office - railcar broken down - won't run today and dubious for Sunday. So no pictures of Iris. Went home since only Class 108 DMU running.

To cap it all - whilst I was waiting (with my car in my full view) 2 of the local lowlife stopped in grey van and were about to try and break into it having walked around it several times and peered through each of the windows in turn. Shouted at them and photographed the van and its number plate - they left in a hurry.

Update 4.50pm Sat.

Phonecall to DFR informed me that Iris is running again - so tomorrow hopeful.

Edited by ParkeNd

• RMweb Gold

Dissapointing. At 10.52 Saturday the guest railcar didn't appear around the curve from Whitecroft - so I waited and waited. Finally phoned DFR office - railcar broken down - won't run today and dubious for Sunday. So no pictures of Iris. Went home since only Class 108 DMU running.

To cap it all - whilst I was waiting (with my car in my full view) 2 of the local lowlife stopped in grey van and were about to try and break into it having walked around it several times and peered through each of the windows in turn. Shouted at them and photographed the van and its number plate - they left in a hurry.

Update 4.50pm Sat.

Phonecall to DFR informed me that Iris is running again - so tomorrow hopeful.

Should have gone to Perrygrove, 6 locos in steam.....didn't take many pics, as was guard on the mixed train.

post-18087-0-91840400-1474140482_thumb.jpg

post-18087-0-86590600-1474140508_thumb.jpg

post-18087-0-59529100-1474140534_thumb.jpg

post-18087-0-27574500-1474140583_thumb.jpg

post-18087-0-26771200-1474140606_thumb.jpg

post-18087-0-24169300-1474140634_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Tim, thanks for posting the pictures of Perrygrove. I have to confess that I was so pissed off as Scumbag No 1 got ready to smash one of the passenger side windows (to pull forward the rear seat to see what was in the hatchback?) that I had had enough of Forest hospitality for one day. Right now I feel that it is not a safe place to leave a brand new £30K car unattended at the weekend (seems better on a weekday)  - so I took it home.

However I had just taken this photos which was a practice run for Iris covering the same piece of track. But Iris never came.

_DSC2090_zpslyw0p0qr.jpg

Edited by ParkeNd
  • Like 2

I trust the local Constabulary have been contacted, and taken an interest in said photographs.? :yes:

I went to Norchard today to ride on the trains - there were about 40 cars in the car park but the station was virtually deserted - no visitors at all, and only three DFR staff. Apparently there was some kind of problem and no trains were going to leave but just an outside chance of a steam train at 12.45 maybe. A family who came in just behind me left, and I went home. No explanation was offered and nothing appeared on the DFR Facebook page to keep customers warned or informed.

Edited by ParkeNd

Arrived at DFR today to ride on Iris - just behind the recently disgorged first 2 of 6 coach trips!! There was fifty foot X four wide queue of very old ladies at the ticket office. Fortunately all travelling in reserved carriages behind the prairie apparently - which lifted my depression. Gave the queue a miss and decided to pay on the train. Iris is great to ride on (more like a light aircraft after a Boeing 737) with huge windows. Will publish some interior photos and a shot at Lydney Junction if you have the stomach for it. For "brianusa" - destination outbound was Worcester Foregate Street, and Weston Supermare on return!!

• Like 2

No-one screamed "No don't do it" so here goes. My next visit to DFR will be 15/16 Oct so I won't see what I think may be Iris's last day at DFR next Wednesday. So here are a last few photos from me anyway - the first is at Norchard with Iris about to move over to the lower platform No 1 - and the other three are at Lydney Junction.

_DSC2151%201_zpsljjiz2uv.jpg

_DSC2168_zpsfrzzwkit.jpg

_DSC2165_zps5bkotsg4.jpg

_DSC2170_zpsu9f0yxm7.jpg

Edited by ParkeNd
  • Like 2

Thanks for the pictures. Why do I like Iris more than the current crop of DMUs?

Brian.

It's maybe because Iris is such a cutie. It's quaint in the manner of the old American street cars, in fabulous restored condition, and suits the route so utterly perfectly? I think DFR shouldn't give it back. :no:

Edited by ParkeNd
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

One of the quirky features I love is how every time you see it, or every time there is a different driver, it has a different light combination! I've no idea the technicalities or whether they act as a headcode, I haven't been around whilst it's running (except yesterday, but doing Lydney Crossing you can't really ask the driver as he sweeps by...),  it's just a fun little thing about it. The amount of miles it's travelled whilst it's been here has been a lot too, the furthest I've seen was Skegness on the front, Westen-Super-Mare on the back - must have been a seaside town tour..!

• Like 1

I think it must be the traditional styling, curved ends, rounded roof and certainly no corridor connection to mar the ends. Traditional colour green helps with the whiskers instead of a yellow panel which doesn't do anything for the appearance of the front and rear and what a relief it must be for the driver with a full width view, instead of peering through a tiny 'porthole'!

Brian