The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Somewhere in the Forest of Dean

Todays DFR is 'dressed for success' or at least some of it is.  It may not please the muck and mess that some enthusiasts like, but it makes a big impression on the paying Mums and Dads. Leave a bit for the diehards by all means but consider the overall impression that people carry away with and hopefully return.

Brian.

• 1 month later...

I thought I might post this here. This is the rebuild of Railway Cottages on my Parkend N gauge layout using the nine colour photos that show them in the new Neil Parkhouse book. Now there is no excuse for showing them in white rendered form as now - and in any case my scratch building skills have improved marginally since I built the originals.

2015-12-16-11.55.03%20ZS%20DMap_zpswr7fw

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

I had plans to visit parked on a monday when the support group has their working day - to get some photos in these trainless months. But the weather has made it fairly unpalatable - so what have I been doing?

The Parkend goods shed and the station building were my first two scratch built model buildings so I have continued after the rebuild of Railway Cottages to tackle the goods shed. This is now built and work is started on the station building. Early on I chickened out of detail I thought I couldn't handle but I am having a bash at it now.

A few photos below of the goods shed - I will photograph it "planted" when the station building is done. I wanted to see it with the doors open and John at the museum was good enough to let me have some photos of the interior to help.

2015-12-02-17.02.49%20ZS%20DMap_zpsy0txv

2016-01-11-12.06.51%20ZS%20DMap_zpsizzqi

2016-01-11-12.18.21%20ZS%20DMap_zpshvjxy

2016-01-11-12.30.26%20ZS%20DMap%201_zpsl

• Like 5

_DSC1115_zps4nfsn8sm.jpg

I get the feeling my monitor is playing up, this does not at all look like GWR Light and Dark stone, to my eyes the capboarding is nowhere near the colour I have been supplied by Precision Paints, that looks almost grey to me.

On the subjectof Hi-Vis, a study was done recently in Australia on it's true effectiveness.

Motorist were shown a video from the viewpoint of car driver and had to say how many people they saw dressed in hi-vis clothing, of the 100 people tested none got it excatly right, and over 70% only saw 50% of the people in hi-vis.

The conclusion they came to was that because it is becoming more and more common, we are getting to be blind of it. 

The survey also noted that if the clothing wasn't spotted before a vehicle got within 100ft of the wearer, the effectiveness was lost completely.

The most efficient Hi-vis colour is dayglo yellow, day or night.

It's well known (or I thought it was) that the DFR doesn't use the 'authentic' GWR colours on it's buildings. I've no idea why. There was a rather ill-natured Thread in this Section complaining about the fact & the OP urging more-or-less a boycott of the DFR because of it... :rolleyes:

It's well known (or I thought it was) that the DFR doesn't use the 'authentic' GWR colours on it's buildings. I've no idea why. There was a rather ill-natured Thread in this Section complaining about the fact & the OP urging more-or-less a boycott of the DFR because of it... :rolleyes:

I agree - they are not GWR colours.

Parkend is the grey/green end of cream. In Humbrol acrylics I can match this with 103 Cream Matt and a touch of 224 Dark Grey. About 2/3 cream and 1/3 grey. The greenish hue comes out of the grey.

Edited by ParkeNd

There seems to be a lot of extreme complaints from 'purists' if things are not just so. The average family could probably care less about the colour as long as it looks clean and tidy and they are the ones paying the bills. As it happens, it was a nice touch to be S & W colours.

Brian.

• 1 month later...

Almost time to start photographing the real thing with the 2016 timetable starting. But in the meantime I have completed rebuilding three of the buildings I first built on my N gauge layout of Parkend - I am a bit braver now and more used to the eye wrenching tiny details the scale involves. These are some photos of the three "version 2" buildings assisted by photos in the new book discussed elsewhere.

2016-01-11-12.18.21%20ZS%20DMap_zpshvjxy

2016-02-18-12.58.15%20ZS%20DMap_zpsgsb4c

2015-12-06-12.40.21%20ZS%20DMap_zps4yzsj

2016-02-28-13.10.59%20ZS%20DMap_zpst5dtb

2016-02-28-13.35.17%20ZS%20DMap_zpspiqq8

• Like 5

Exquisite models!! They are superb, well done!

Something that caught my eye, & just wondering... why you have a fence running in front of the goods shed, dividing it from the siding in front? It's just my opinion, but I reckon you could lose that fence, & it would open out the look of the yard closer to the prototype. After all, the next fence down - by the road - is the railway boundary fence.

Just a suggestion, not intended as criticism at all.

Exquisite models!! They are superb, well done!

Something that caught my eye, & just wondering... why you have a fence running in front of the goods shed, dividing it from the siding in front? It's just my opinion, but I reckon you could lose that fence, & it would open out the look of the yard closer to the prototype. After all, the next fence down - by the road - is the railway boundary fence.

You are probably right - I have seen the track arrangement only on the track plans rather than with photos or physically so I just guessed. I will sit and look at it for a while and try to imagine it with fences removed. More news later.

………………………...... why you have a fence running in front of the goods shed, dividing it from the siding in front? It's just my opinion, but I reckon you could lose that fence, & it would open out the look of the yard closer to the prototype. After all, the next fence down - by the road - is the railway boundary fence.

Well I've considered it and acted. The fence and the grass and bushes against it are gone. I have re-ballasted the edge of the siding up to the yard edge and now waiting for the PVA/water/washing up liquid mix to set. Then I will photograph it in a day or so so you can see the result.

Edited by ParkeNd
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Following F-UnitMad's suggestion that I improve the layout by removing part of it - here it is. One too many fences removed from the edge of the goods yard. and I do think it makes it more open - certainly increases the visible size of the yard. I had to reballast the trackedge to join smoothly to the yard when the fence and foliage had gone though.

2016-03-11-11.55.28%20ZS%20DMap_zpspdst0

Edited by ParkeNd
  • Like 8