The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Somewhere in the Forest of Dean

I had planned to visit both Parkend and Norchard this Wednesday just passed but poor workmanship on a central heating system component replacement kept me in so the company involved could send another guy to undo the bodge job - which he did. The weather has been most unphotogenic since so it will be next Wednesday before I get to take more photos - such as the new cafe on the low level platform at Norchard. I also want to take some photos at Lydney Junction to post on the forum and I figure a train ride would be the best method of transport. Although I know the Forest fairly well the area between Lydney town and its docks is a bit off the normal track.

Although I know the Forest fairly well the area between Lydney town and its docks is a bit off the normal track.

I live just a couple of miles south of Lydney. If it's of interest I can post directions for walking from Lydney Town to Lydney Junction, takes around 15 minutes. It's not a scenic walk but you will pass some parked up rolling stock awaiting attention. You need to do a small 'loop' at the Lydney Town end to access the footpath after which it's an obvious route. The docks are probably a good mile on past the Junction.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 1

Thanks Arthur. I'll probably take the train. The value of camera body and even one lens puts me off the idea of a footpath just one mile from Lydney Docks. I've been down that way by car just a few years back and unless it's changed its a bit daunting.

• Like 1

It's not too bad but I know what you mean, it's back streets and quiet paths. Lydney's pretty quiet generally. Mind you, it involves passing the Swan pub and, er...judging by the decor and clientele, it's a while since Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, popped in for a sherry.

Which is a bit sad really especially with a family attraction as the DFR.

Brian.

The DFR from Parkend to Lydney Town is very family friendly. From there to the Docks walking about with over £3000 in one camera fitted with one lens is probably best done in a group. Just caution.

Which is a bit sad really especially with a family attraction as the DFR.

Brian.

To be fair Lydney Docks is well beyond DFR boundaries and not really anything to do with them. There's an Industrial Estate up there and easy access by road. The rails have long, long gone, & as I recall, there's very little evidence they were ever there....

Lydney docks are also, these days, somewhat gentrified. Home of the sailing club, annual Gala, preserved locks and fittings, pleasure craft, 'heritage trail' information signs etc. There's a few, well buried, rails around at the docks end but no evidence of the lines linking docks with junction. You're more likely to meet someone walking their dog, even me occasionally, than a ne'er do well.

It's just a long walk down a quiet, windswept, road which serves a couple of industrial/trading estates.

Lydney docks are also, these days, somewhat gentrified. Home of the sailing club, annual Gala, preserved locks and fittings, pleasure craft, 'heritage trail' information signs etc. There's a few, well buried, rails around at the docks end but no evidence of the lines linking docks with junction. You're more likely to meet someone walking their dog, even me occasionally, than a ne'er do well.

It's just a long walk down a quiet, windswept, road which serves a couple of industrial/trading estates.

I haven't been down there since Rank Xerox had an offshoot of the Mitcheldean factory there - 1973?

I must nip down in the car and have a look - in fact I definitely will.

• Like 1

It's worth a look, not that there's a great deal to see, but you're obviously interested in the railway and industrial past of the area so I think you'll find it of interest.

You'll very likely be the only person there except for a couple of people on their boats. Drive as far as the barrier, there's parking in the left, and just go for a wander. Cross over the canal on the lock gates and the former coal tippler was, now long since gone, on that side. There's some information about it on one of the signs.

• Like 2

The Fountain, reputedly the most haunted Pub in the Forest. The landlady, Michelle, used to keep a 'Ghost Diary' recording the innumerable strange happenings and sightings reported by staff and guests. After a few years she stopped bothering as the 'events' became so routine. Much of the activity centres around a false door in the restaurant, built against a wall which, were it possible to open, would drop you fifteen feet or so into the rear car park.

Not surprisingly, it's a popular place for ghost hunters and paranormal investigators to visit.

Partly spurred on by Tassie Tex and Arthur adding to the Fountain Inn info here are some more shots - this time of some of the minor structures at Norchard.

The inside of the Station Masters office.

_DSC0236_zpshpjzbwpd.jpg

I reckon this is a fair reproduction of the shelter that stood on Platform 1 at Parkend.

_DSC0617_zpsglkze7w5.jpg

The entrance out of the car park - with evidence of the old Norchard power station in the background.

_DSC0642_zpsu28qjory.jpg

The building beside the crossing over the headshunt.

_DSC0668_zpsgnw5bozk.jpg

Enamel advertising signs by the entrance.

_DSC0178_zpsadakndwq.jpg

And a few more at the end of the static coaches.

_DSC0210_zpsevxdtilo.jpg

• Like 5

IRC the "Norchard Crossing" cabin isn't a 'reproduction' building like quite a few at the DFR, but a genuine GWR (or at least BR) Ground Frame cabin, from somewhere around Gloucester. Unfortunately memory fails me offhand as to where it was originally located - Barnwood Sidings, possibly??

IRC the "Norchard Crossing" cabin isn't a 'reproduction' building like quite a few at the DFR, but a genuine GWR (or at least BR) Ground Frame cabin, from somewhere around Gloucester. Unfortunately memory fails me offhand as to where it was originally located - Barnwood Sidings, possibly??

It's picture 2 I reckon is a reconstruction. I have a 1922 photo of Parkend showing a shelter on Platform 1 with a Nestles chocolate machine against the side wall facing the footbridge. I built it for my layout with some difficulty about the detailed shape of the canopy. When I had finished it I stumbled across my pic No 2 above. Since there was no station at Norchard I figured this building was a replica of the Parkend shelter mentioned above - so I could have copied it rather than the old black and white photo.

I finally visited Lydney Junction and the Lydney Docks regeneration area this morning with my camera.

Lydney Junction apart from the platform locations is very difficult to relate back to Pages 6-12 Of The Dean Forest Railway and ex-Severn & Wye Railway Lines book by John Stretton. There are lots of rails but lots of desolation too. The area needs massive work and it's not a happy place to be on your own.

Lydney Harbour on the other hand is vastly improved, and plenty of helpful Environment Agency staff around to help with knowledge. Well worth the trip.

When I have processed the raw files I will post some photos.

Edited by ParkeNd

Glad that you found the trip to the docks worthwhile. I'll look forward to seeing your photos.

I posted this link yesterday on another thread, it's also relevant here. The last of the Lydney coal tipplers in the 1950's.

http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Lydney-Glos/images/LYDNEY-DOCKS-1950-s.jpg

I think it might have been high tide......

• Like 3

Here's a few more from the same source,

http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Lydney/LydneyDocks.htm

http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Lydney/Lydney_Docks_Bledisloe.html

http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Lydney/docks_1920s.html

And talking, above, of the tides, here's two modern photos showing the range of tide in the Severn.

http://www.sungreen.co.uk/lydney_forest_of_dean/tidal_range_at_lydney_docks.html

Edited by Arthur

Thanks again Arthur. I've always regarded the Severn as an unfriendly river - in direct contrast to the Wye for instance. When I was standing on the part of the harbour jutting out into the river the tide was still coming in and it was quite scary. At Newnham people have been drowned because they were walking on the sandbanks when the tide came in at 30 mph - they just couldn't run fast enough.

I'm going to shoot more pictures of Lydney Harbour as it relates to the Severn & Wye Railway before I publish any of them - maybe a week delay. So I will concentrate on Lydney Junction first.

In the meantime for those who haven't visited DFR recently here is the new Cafe on the Norchard Lower Platform. It was Friday - everywhere deserted.

_DSC3096_zpscaiy6jjp.jpg

• Like 2

Now to Lydney Junction as seen Friday 24th April 2015.

It is pretty desolate still.

_DSC3079_zpslho0ilc8.jpg

As far as I can make out from old photos this building just off the end of the current platform is in it's original place and a small signal box stood opposite it - note the lever frame bits in the second pic below. The Engine Sheds must have been about where the rolling stock is standing.

_DSC3080_zpskmffpipx.jpg

_DSC3082_zpsfumhce3j.jpg

_DSC3083_zps3s15z9hw.jpg

This is all there is on the platform at present. There was a platform on the other side of the rails on the first pic but there is absolutely no evidence it was ever there no matter how hard you look.

_DSC3078_zps7ztmvghf.jpg

_DSC3085_zpsbxncq6sj.jpg

_DSC3086_zpsprpyllis.jpg

On the other side of the main road there is the DFR Diesel Groups refurb premises with a Class 37 and a Class 25 being repaired behind the polythene - and much more you can't see.

_DSC3076_zpsd9xhj5r1.jpg

_DSC3074_zpssdoxw4cc.jpg

_DSC3089_zpswlsn2y2b.jpg

_DSC3088_zpsxu4vhkbt.jpg

• Like 4