The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Somewhere in the Forest of Dean

The Engine Sheds were not where assumed, where the rolling stock is. They were before the Station, more or less a bit further up & behind where the Diesel Group's sidings are. The land was sold off after Lydney Shed closed (c. 1964 IIRC) and is now occupied by Road transport companies.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments. Apart from the big signal box I really struggle with relating old photos with the 2015 Lydney Junction. Easier to do in other locations. This level of desolation and abandonment is more like 1950's London as I remember that. brianusa is probably right about the effect on return visits if passengers get out of the train briefly - better to stay in your seat. The contrast with Parkend at the other end of the line is very strong.

Hi all

the building at the end of the platform at lydney junction  is the top apart of the  old walnut tree junction box from just out side taffs well near Cardiff .the frame you can see is from the box .  as far as I know the frame is due to go to another railway  to be used .

where the rolling stock is this just where the yard used to be  head to otter pool junction

any more question I try and answer if I can

regards

rob

Interesting pictures of the 'warts and all' side of preserved railways.  Fascinating stuff for those interested but not so good for impressing Mum and Gran to return.

Brian.

To be honest, those shots of the far end of Lydney Junction, & the Diesel Group sidings, are not really 'open access' to passengers. Lydney Junction is what it always was - a bit of a bleak area with a set of exchange sidings in place. I'm not 100% certain, but I think most of that track is original, & not been relaid by the DFR.

As modellers we are fortunate to be able to create Hidden Staging yards, where our clutter is out of view (although in my experience - both as Viewer and Exhibitor - Fiddleyards are just as interesting as the layouts!!). Real Heritage lines don't have such a luxury; their junk & clutter has to be stored somewhere, often in view of the paying public. But... does anyone know of any instance where someone actually has complained about such things, or stated categorically that they would not be returning somewhere because of that issue??

• Like 1

I doubt many tourists join or get off the train at Lydney Junction, other than the mainline station there's nothing there. It's a bit of a walk to the town, the first half is desolate, the second bit is better either by following the line or, better still, walking around the boating lake.

It's no worse than the 'scrapyards' most preserved lines have and it's all collected at one end. Most passengers join at Norchard, visit Parkend and maybe Lydney Town, all of which are very presentable.

So, no, I don't think it's a bigger issue than with any other preserved line.

Having been prompted by Arthur's links to more pictures of Lydney Harbour in 1950's and earlier I have researched more about the dock area and expanded my knowledge a bit. Later this week I will shoot some more shots of this regenerated area concentrating on the bits that had train activity. Finding where the old Severn Railway Bridge came ashore on the Lydney side would be a plus since all the photos I have seen are from Purton on the Gloucester side.

The Lydney Junction photos seem to have generated some discussion. I tried to make them as characterful as possible (might have another go with black and white film). Later on I will try to find the matching areas of the West Somerset Railway, and the Severn Valley Railway.

Thanks very much for sharing all the extra information.

Edited by ParkeNd
  • Like 3

Hi all,

Lydney Junction Yard is a bit of an unusual place.  One of the lines is still a part of Network Rail and is connected to the main line by a recently renewed point  constructed of flat bottom rail.  The line is used to 'park' PW machinery and to hold cripples if required.  The S&T depot seen surrounded by the grey paling fence on the RHS of several of the photos is also shared with Network Rail.  The cottages to one side of the site are tinplate workers cottages, the remains of the tinplate works are still standing.  I had a friend who lived in one of them some years ago.  The works was rail connected and I believe had their own loco.  It's still possible to work out where the line left the S&W just after St. Mary's Halt and crossed the road.

A fair amount of effort has gone in to attempting to clear wagons and coaches from the yard in the last couple of years, although I can understand those who find that hard to believe.  The 5 plank wagon currently at Norchard with a big blue polytarp covering it was a resident at this time last year, complete with three birch trees rooted in the floor planking.  One of the XP64 coaches is resting at the far end 'off limits' owing to asbestos contamination and awaiting disposal.  

Various schemes have been devised to improve the area over the years, but the ground is very soft and won't support much by the way of structures.  On a plus side I can vouch that the wild strawberries growing on the trackbed are very tasty.

Hope this is of interest.

Tony Comber

• Like 1

Thanks Tony for the additional and fascinating information.

I revisited Lydney Harbour again this morning and took more photos which compare with the photo links Arthur gave me. Having rained overnight it was a very clear day with visibility for miles and I will post some of the pictures when I have processed the Raw files.

After the harbour I moved on to Lydney Junction with the Nikon F100 film camera loaded with Ilford XP2 black and white film. Will publish a selection when developed and scanned. I reckon Lydney Junction was made for black and white.

Next port of call was Norchard after I failed to find the access to St Mary's Halt. The treat waiting there was fantastic and sent me running back to my car for the digital camera to augment the black and white. The Owners Salon which has just finished restoration was pulled up alongside the low level platform behind 5541. The restoration is absolutely stunning - inside and out - with sparkling paintwork and fabulous lounge style furnishings fit for Royalty. I will post some photos.

Edited by ParkeNd
  • Like 3

As promised above a few photos first of what I think is some of DFR's most sparkling restoration work - the Owners Salon behind sloped prairie tank 5541. It's Friday 29th April 2015 and apparently the last few brushstrokes of paint had just been applied. So it doesn't get any fresher than this.

_DSC3122_zpspzytqzzm.jpg

_DSC3124_zpswdqvjffd.jpg

_DSC3121_zpsgl5mf10j.jpg

Couldn't manage to avoid the reflections on the windows.

_DSC3126_zpsn2zl0qw4.jpg

• Like 4

At risk of boring you with new photos - but moving on to Lydney Harbour anyway. :declare:

This is the link Arthur gave me to "The last of the Coal Tippers:

http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Lydney-Glos/images/LYDNEY-DOCKS-1950-s.jpg

And here is the same spot seen yesterday 29th April 2015. Note the ridge visible above the lock gates.

_DSC3104_zps3ikxkpa2.jpg

The area is billed as a Heritage Site but the heritage part of it is actually being obliterated except for some informative sign boards. Try as I might I couldn't find a hint of a rail anywhere.

_DSC3093_zpswkeroosp.jpg

But you can see the physical areas where the history once stood. Coal Tipper No 9 used to stand here and just a bit of woodwork remains.

_DSC3106_zpsgms7etgd.jpg

_DSC3105_zpshc1e6act.jpg

A siding came right up to this pin along the general line of the path in the photo.

_DSC3109_zpsumstlz15.jpg

Coal Tippers 1 to 8 stood along the edge of this basin and the area of grassland on the edge of the photo was a dense mass of sidings.

_DSC3114_zpsismxfttf.jpg

All this was sidings and the earth is still black with coal where the grass gets scraped away.

_DSC3118_zpsmtr70dy9.jpg

The regeneration work is just that though - what was once pretty grim and dilapidated has become very attractive and is well visited.

This stone commemorates the men who died when the two barges collided in fog and knocked down part of the Severn Railway Bridge.

_DSC3091_zps4uqqvxbr.jpg

The Severn Railway Bridge crossed from the construction jutting out into the river from the bank on the other side of the river on the horizon of this picture. Note how huge the river is with the tide in.

_DSC3092_zps763s7i4x.jpg

By contrast here is the river at low tide - the two Severn road bridges can be seen on the horizon - if you zoom into the picture that is.

_DSC3117_zps8nkwkt28.jpg

• Like 8

St Mary's Halt is seldom photographed by my reckoning so this will be the venue for my next new pictures. First I have to find the entry point from a road and then plan my way around a month long series of road closures for resurfacing. The two week planned closure at Whitecroft proved to last 4 months!! The few old black and white photos in books show a crane stored there as well as the elaborate footbridge you can see as the train passes through. I'm guessing that entry from Lydney Park might be the solution.

You can access it two or maybe three ways, the closest point to the road is the footpath which emerges onto the by pass immediately adjacent to the line and the level crossing.

I think that you might also be able to access it from the boating lake. I'll pop over and walk the dog that way this week, recce the area and clarify the various routes.

Finding the elusive St Mary's Halt. I took the dog for a walk there this morning, very pleasant as the sun was out whilst we were exploring.

The easiest point to access the Halt is from footpath which runs on the north side of the line from the barrier controlled level crossing on the A48 Lydney bypass. That's just beyond the roundabout from where you would head east towards the Junction and docks.

From that point, the Halt is no more than 50 yards, and you can clearly see the platform ramp from the level crossing.

Footpaths do run down from that footpath, behind the Halt, towards the boating lake which can be readily seen through the trees to the right, just 50 yards away.

Should you carry on past the Halt, it's a pleasant walk through woodland towards the town. The Lyd, looking more like a narrow canal at this point, runs between the path and the railway. The path brings you out on Swan Street, walk along there to the main road, Hill Street, turn left and you'll see the gated level crossing just ahead of you. Lydney Town station can be approached via the access road, on the left, behind the Indian Summer restaurant.

Finally, there is a footbridge over the halt and line, now closed off. It linked the footpath and boating lake with St Mary's church yard. You can, and people clearly do, walk diagonally across the line from the ramp end, though a gap in the far wall and into the churchyard. Through the churchyard, out of the Lych Gate and onto Church Road where there is limited parking outside the church.

Industrial archaeology is one of my interests especially if there is a railway connection.  Whereabouts is the line to the bridge in respect to the pictures.  I have visited Sharpness docks over the other side of the bridge and found it equally of interest.  Once upon a time there was a preservation project on the branch.  Is it still there or what became of it and are the rails still in situ?  Thanks for the pictures.

Brian.

Industrial archaeology is one of my interests especially if there is a railway connection.  Whereabouts is the line to the bridge in respect to the pictures.  I have visited Sharpness docks over the other side of the bridge and found it equally of interest.  Once upon a time there was a preservation project on the branch.  Is it still there or what became of it and are the rails still in situ?  Thanks for the pictures.

Brian.

I honestly don't know. Even the OS maps don't show it on the Lydney side unlike the Sharpness side. But I will find out.

The bridge has, not surprisingly, been mentioned here before, here's one thread with some more info;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55363-severn-bridge-dismantling-1967/

Incredible that the hulks of the barges which crashed into the bridge are still there, sunk in the mud, and visible at low tides.

Have a look on Google Earth. Find Purton on the West Bank of the Severn, a little north of Lydney. There's a 'bulge' into the river just south of Purton and just inland you can clearly see an arc of trees, curving south, which mark the original line. You can follow it pretty much all the way to the Gloucester-Lydney line and there are some photos linked to it.

Edited by Arthur

Thanks for the new info. Armed with an OS map I finally found the embankment with the very sharp left turn off the lane at Pirton so will visit and photograph from the Lydney bank - I have never seen a photo taken there.

Using Google satellite view and your instructions I found the St Mary's Halt footbridge visible through the trees Arthur. I have also spotted the path running past the back of the church from Church Road to the Halt. Will visit and photograph if this rain ever stops.

• Like 1

Thank you Phil - I have looked now but had not found the thread before. I have so far concentrated mainly on about a dozen books I have bought over the past 18 months from the truly incredible DFR bookshop at Norchard - they are better than any source I have found so far. However my absolute favourites for containing details for building my layout are Martin Wynne's photos of D6320 (Class 22) at ParkeNd - they set the loco plus wagons progressing up from Marsh Wharf, across New Road, and then down behind the Stationmaster's house. One of them includes the only shot I have ever seen of the original asbestos built semi-detached bungalow with the long corrugated shed that Alan, who now lives at the Stationmaster's house, told me housed a lorry. These photos are somewhere on this forum.

Edited by ParkeNd

Yes, the Norchard bookshop is very good indeed. Excellent selection of prototype and modelling books and mags, much of local interest but by no means limited to that.