Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

Just out of interest what train lengths are you planning to run?

The maximum fiddle yard siding length is 54 inches.

Passenger Services

The fiddle yard and some of the platforms will therefore accomodate a large pacific (A1, A2, A3 or A4) or big diesel (Deltic or a type 4) and four BR mk1s but I will only run such a consist when I am slightly suspending reality.  54 inches will also accomodate a Britannia, B1, D49 etc and 5 short Gresley gangway/corridor coaches (I have some short Gresley Kirk kits stashed away awaiting construction).  Obviously a 5 car dmu could also be accomodated.  So anything shorter than this could be used on the layout and will be, especially on the single track branch.

Goods

a Q6, O1, O4 or a WD and upto ten 21t coal hoppers and a brake van will fit in the fiddle yard but the goods arrival/head shunt situation will only cope with one or two wagons knocked off these lengths.  Standard wagons eg BR minerals are shorter that the coal hoppers so more wagons can be accomodated per train.  Again, anything shorter can be used.

I hope this answers your question, if not please come back.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

I reckon a West Country, a Schools and a couple of Ns would look pretty good on there with some nice green coaches, too ;)

Yes indeed but the tangerine running in boards might give the game away :no2:

Regards,

Brian.

Another mile stone has been achieved this week.  I have completed all electrics of all track laid to date so I can now drive trains over the viaduct towards the fiddle yard, albeit I then have to back the trains back where they came from.  Anyway, to celebrate here are a few pics of various trains crossing the viaduct.

Firstly a V3 on a costal service.

post-1115-0-33328000-1481827018_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-93271700-1481827063_thumb.jpg

Now a Q6 and coalhoppers.

post-1115-0-93818600-1481827144_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-60914700-1481827183_thumb.jpg

Then a J50 on a short freight.

post-1115-0-06023600-1481827257_thumb.jpg

And finally, a dmu arrival passes the departing coal empties.

post-1115-0-38349900-1481827351_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the camera phone pics, I've tweaked them in PSE as best I can.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 11

Thank you very much for the update on the train formations :) That's very much like mine! I wanted to be able to run 6 coaches but ended up with the space to only run 4 realistically, love the new pictures looks great!

I got a V3 today it's epic! I love the look of the Gresley tank against my LMR 4P tank and std 4!

Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the update on the train formations :) That's very much like mine! I wanted to be able to run 6 coaches but ended up with the space to only run 4 realistically, love the new pictures looks great!

I got a V3 today it's epic! I love the look of the Gresley tank against my LMR 4P tank and std 4!

Keep up the great work!

No problem and thanks again for your interest in my ramblings.

My V3 is one of my oldest locos, dating back to 2004, of so called split chassis design and still going strong.

Regards,

Brian.

This afternoon I thought I'd swap over dmus to check clearances over the viaduct curves so I got out my Hornby Metro Cammel (101) sets.  Some problems came to light.

1. When I bought these 2 3-car sets I removed the awful couplings and endeavoured to close couple them with a crude plastic bar arrangement (painted black you can barely see how clumsy it actually is).  However, when running over and beyond the viaduct including some reverse curves using the cross over at the "bottom of the U" buffer locking was clearly causing severe problems.  The solution was reasonably easy - I just had to fabricate some slightly longer plastic bars which I did this afternoon and this has cured the problem.
  2. More seriously, I thought I detected a faint rumbling from the dmu as it traversed the Scaleway track and I fear that the Hornby (ex Lima) wheel flanges may be a tad course - the flanges may be riding slightly on the sleeper chairs.  There is a solution however - Ultrascale do a conversion pack of replacement fine scale OO wheels.  It is a simple "drop in" replacement apparently.  So that's the way to go but not cheap for 2 3-car sets.

Regards,

Brian.

I only managed to modify the couplings on one dmu set yesterday and did the other one this afternoon so I thought I'd take some pics to post here.

Firstly, the original bar type coupling.

post-1115-0-73795200-1481996031_thumb.jpg

Secondly, the new slightly longer bar...

post-1115-0-37491900-1481996148_thumb.jpg

...with a 3mm setscrew and bolt securing the bar to the bogie at one end and the screw from an electric connector at the other end forming a hook which is located in a hole in the corresponding bogie, the distance beween the two screws being 23 mm having been increased from 21 mm.  It all looks very clumsy but once fitted in place it doesn't look too bad and is an effective remedy removing the old Hornby (big) hook and bar couplings and affording an element of close coupling - see below.

post-1115-0-98573500-1481996923_thumb.jpg

So now both sets traverse the various curves without any buffer locking problems.

post-1115-0-85285500-1481997009_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

Excellent job Brian, it makes such a difference to the big gap that was, now how about form Black Foam in the corridor connections?

Thanks Andy and an excellent suggestion.  However, I'll probably go down the folded black paper route as i have done before - see my Thompson coaches below.

post-1115-0-63051400-1482081269_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-51893400-1482081295_thumb.jpg

The same rake is shown here behind the B1.

post-1115-0-95478900-1482081396_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 8

The last few days, in between Christmas shopping, I have loosely placed a yard of track on the fiddle yard deck and have been trial running various trains in and out.  Because there was no juice in the yard of track, locos had to start from the beginning of the sceniced area.

post-1115-0-35764900-1482427436_thumb.jpg

This morning I remembered that I had a Peco Loco lift so I placed that on the end of the energised track and it successfully conducts juice to the yard of track, see below.

post-1115-0-74007400-1482427490_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-24951200-1482427541_thumb.jpg

I have also been giving some thought to the fiddle yard electrics, trying to get my head around how to electrify/isolate the various roads, allowing for the fact that the fiddle yard moves sideways so that all storage roads are served by both up and down lines (also the facility to operate both up and down lines simultaneously at times).  I think I understand what I'm doing so a number of switches have been ordered and a panel designed.  These are the constituent parts.

post-1115-0-78673000-1482428181_thumb.jpg

The mimic diagram was drawn in TurboCad, printed on plain A4, glued to the (wardrobe back) ply and covered with Transferseal.  The circles indicate the various switch positions.  Because the vast majority of the wires leaving the panel will connect to track or point motors on the fiddle yard deck, it will be attached to the "floating" fiddle yard probably in the position shown below. 

post-1115-0-38979700-1482428365_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 6

The last few days, in between Christmas shopping, I have loosely placed a yard of track on the fiddle yard deck and have been trial running various trains in and out.  Because there was no juice in the yard of track, locos had to start from the beginning of the sceniced area.

attachicon.giflocolift1.jpg

This morning I remembered that I had a Peco Loco lift so I placed that on the end of the energised track and it successfully conducts juice to the yard of track, see below.

attachicon.giflocolift2.jpg

attachicon.giflocolift3.jpg

I have also been giving some thought to the fiddle yard electrics, trying to get my head around how to electrify/isolate the various roads, allowing for the fact that the fiddle yard moves sideways so that all storage roads are served by both up and down lines (also the facility to operate both up and down lines simultaneously at times).  I think I understand what I'm doing so a number of switches have been ordered and a panel designed.  These are the constituent parts.

attachicon.giflocolift4.jpg

The mimic diagram was drawn in TurboCad, printed on plain A4, glued to the (wardrobe back) ply and covered with Transferseal.  The circles indicate the various switch positions.  Because the vast majority of the wires leaving the panel will connect to track or point motors on the fiddle yard deck, it will be attached to the "floating" fiddle yard probably in the position shown below. 

attachicon.giflocolift5.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

It must be satisfying to be able to run a train all the way from the fiddle yard to the station now!

Clever idea using the Loco Lift to enable the power to get to the fiddle yard. 

All the best,

Peter

Thanks guys.

It must be satisfying to be able to run a train all the way from the fiddle yard to the station now!

Clever idea using the Loco Lift to enable the power to get to the fiddle yard. 

All the best,

Peter

Smiles all round when things are completed and they actually work.  Yes, very pleased mate.

Control Panel looks really neat Brian, some good thinking going into this project mate, well done.

The switches for the panel arrived today so I asked my wife to wrap them up for Christmas!  I need to buy the four points, point motors and plain Peco track to finish the fiddle yard off - at least that is the plan.  Hopefully early in the new year I can start playing trains running services properly.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

post-1115-0-14612500-1482577441_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has followed my ramblings on here this year.  Your support and comments are greatly appreciated.  All the best to you and yours this Christmas and for 2017.

Best Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Thanks Brian, the same to you and all your Family mate,

Here's to running Trains in 2017.

Very happy Christmas thank you for the posts and updates in 2016! Looking forward to 2017!

Merry Christmas to you and the family Brian

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Wishing you all the best for 2017,

Peter

And all the very best to you all for 2017.

Best Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian

Just read all 36 pages of your topic and have really enjoyed watching the progress. Will carry on watching this develop. Keep the pictures coming

Scott

Dear me Scott - you must be a glutton for punishment :jester:

Seriously, I am so pleased you have enjoyed reading my ramblings and of course I will keep posting progress here.  The next step is the fiddle yard - purchasing and laying several yards of track, four points and motors and wiring it all up.  Blow by blow account to follow.

Best Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3