Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

Here's another short video to bore you with, this time demonstrating the turntable.  As I have described in a much earlier post, this is the standard Peco table powered by a battery pack through a modified Expo motor/gearbox.  There is no indexing other than by the eye of the operator :D so the odd derailment is common.  On this occasion it worked perfectly.  Enjoy.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 7

The signal is now wired and switched, see below.

20190210_171407.jpg.73aea4f2b76d52ffeae18711b053b56b.jpg

The EE type 4 is departing platform 1 and...

20190210_171546.jpg.f98059a77c3d9675da54b41621461ea8.jpg

...the DMU is departing from platform 2.

Despite wiring in 2 1000 ohm resistors in series into the feather feed (after consulting Train Tech who gave the OK), the feather still looks overly bright.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

The videos uploaded via YouTube have been experimental in that they are pretty low definition and with hardly any editing so this afternoon I got the video cam out and recorded and edited the first proper high definition video.  I think it is a vast improvement in terms of picture quality.  I'll leave you to decide.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, AireValley1962 said:

That last film is the bees knees, Brian. Everything looks nicely put together. The atmosphere is great too.

William 

Very nice of you to say so William, thanks again for your continued interest.  All future videos will be taken on the handycam in future - much better resolution than my phone.  But I now have a new phone with a better camera so I'll see what the video on that is like.  I'm waiting for a case to arrive before switching over the sim and memory cards.

2 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

You made me want to fix and chip my diesel(s) :) 

My layout is straight forward cab control DC so no chips.  I do find that all of my diesel fleet are very smooth runners though.  Thanks for watching.

Regards,

Brian.

Whilst I could make, wire and plant another signal, I feel a bit of house building coming on :).  If you imagine the layout as an upside down "U" shape, the area top left between the viaduct and the signal box is an area I have christened "Little Easington" after Easington in Co. Durham where I spent many a happy holiday in my youth staying with me Auntie Sarah and trainspotting Q6s, J27s, DMUs and the odd exotica (A4, V2, etc).  This area is far from complete so I have decided to try and finish it.  Here is the current state of play.

20190214_180648.jpg.b570d19140c06558b7a291532ef31d40.jpg

The red stepped terraced houses are my attempt at making colliery houses typical of Easington (even now) using Scalescenes brick paper, windows and techniques.  The brown housebacks are standard Scalescenes kits and don't really belong.  A road will descend in front of the Easington style houses and will turn into the first arch of the viaduct.  A further stepped terrace to the left of that shown here (replacing the LH Scalescenes housebacks) is now being built.  The first steps in TurboCAD are to hand (using a bit of cut and paste from the first terrace TurboCAD drawing) shown here.

1807307247_TerracedHouseFrontsbehindbridge.jpg.bf0a23ff812af31ace5540fb2de1445d.jpg

This has been printed and pasted onto 2 mm thick greyboard.  Hopefully I'll get it finished in the next few days.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

12 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

nice :) i like to put a suttle curve in terace houses :) (see my layout)

Thanks.  Just had a very brief look at your thread and now following.  I'll have a more detailed read in the coming days.

Regards,

Brian.

2 hours ago, Brian D said:

Could be up Canada or down East?  Mind you both areas have been devastated since my boyhood, whole streets demolished as you probably know.

It's true that the 'C' streets . .  'East' have had a few removed, but Up Canada is still intact. . . .the only problem is the proliferation of private landlords who buy up anything that comes on the market.

That "uphill" terrace is similar to Holme Hill Lane, with  Jackie Burns Fish shop at the bottom.

I was born Up Canada ind lived there till moving to Peterlee at 15.

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

It's true that the 'C' streets . .  'East' have had a few removed, but Up Canada is still intact. . . .the only problem is the proliferation of private landlords who buy up anything that comes on the market.

That "uphill" terrace is similar to Holme Hill Lane, with  Jackie Burns Fish shop at the bottom.

I was born Up Canada ind lived there till moving to Peterlee at 15.

John

Thanks John,

My Aunt Sarah lived on the west side of Station Road backing onto the B streets so we used Fairs' F & C shop at the top of the terraced rows in Bede Street, just along from Walter Wilson on the corner of Seaside Lane although my Aunt and cousins always used to reckon that the fish and chips were better at Burns.  I'm talking circa  1955/1960.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Work on "Little Easington" continues albeit slowly.  I have also made another video, this time using the bridge camera which has a wider angle lens than the handycam and also gives decent definition.  The subject this time is/are coal hoppers, their formation in the colliery yard into a train, their collection by Q6 and their reversal at Deneside for the onward mainline journey.  Compared with what's gone before video wise this one is almost feature length!  Enjoy or otherwise as the case may be.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 9

Sorry, fell foul of the 10 meg rule for photos.  You'll have to wait for that pic.  These pics were taken with the new smart phone and are much better quality than the old phone but, of course, the jpeg files are much bigger.

Regards,

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Sorry, fell foul of the 10 meg rule for photos.  You'll have to wait for that pic.  These pics were taken with the new smart phone and are much better quality than the old phone but, of course, the jpeg files are much bigger.

Regards,

Brian.

I think there's a minor bug.. jf you hit upload and cancel it.. the limit goes wrong 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

I think there's a minor bug.. jf you hit upload and cancel it.. the limit goes wrong 

I'll have another go.

IMG_20190221_173011.jpg.9e34589fe9f8a26e3261a27361edf78c.jpg

Yeah! It worked this time.

Unfortunately, this pic highlights the tacky and incomplete photo backscenes in this corner.  I hoping to tackle that soon.

regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 4

On 11/02/2019 at 18:36, Brian D said:

The videos uploaded via YouTube have been experimental in that they are pretty low definition and with hardly any editing so this afternoon I got the video cam out and recorded and edited the first proper high definition video.  I think it is a vast improvement in terms of picture quality.  I'll leave you to decide.

Regards,

Brian.

Good film! 

I like the variety 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The terrace has now had the upper floor ceilings added.  These project out from the front wall by 2 mm and the overhang and a margin for error have been coloured with black felt tip to represent guttering - see below.

IMG_20190225_163433.jpg.bbf027a7183faf39faf2ff141b5f380c.jpg

IMG_20190225_163531.jpg.618e076d66ac19accf33b68907b4458f.jpg

There is also another short experimental video for your delectation or otherwise, this time the clips were taken on my new phone.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 9

The roofs have been added to the terrace.

IMG_20190226_162630.jpg.ec98f5668979ca2ff335e7542cc79e1d.jpg

IMG_20190226_162653.jpg.c4d74514271965d9f8d24398e5c7108d.jpg

This latter picture shows how the terrace tapers.  It is open at the back because it will be hard up against the back scene, as here.

IMG_20190226_163530.jpg.ae63a289680dda2bee4f467668f8a1fb.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 9