drawing an elliptical roof profile LSWR - is there a drawing?

jonhall

I'm looking to try my new silhouette cutter out by producing a few partitions for a Roxey LSWR elliptical roof coach, this would seem to be much easier if I had a drawing to work from that showed the relative arrangement of 'centres' for the various radii. I feel I've seen one of these, but cannot lay my fingers on it - can anyone help? 

Thanks,

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Could you not stand the roxey roof (or one of the ends of the coach) on end on a scanner, and then import the image into the studio software and then draw around the inside of the roof curve?

This is the way I have draw some odd things. I quite often cut out a plasticard prototype and then when I'm happy with the shape, scan it and then draw it in studio for reproduction later.

Andy G

Many old draughting offices (they were never called studios in those days), would likely have a set of Leitz ellipse templates, which are milled, not moulded and are as accurate as you'll ever get, but there is a technique for generating ellipses, which requires you have the major and minor axes, then you simply plot with a paper trammel according to the measurements you need.

Regards,

Boatman

• RMweb Premium

Can I expand on the studio drawing technique here? With your scanned roof or end, draw a single straight line from the outer corner to the other side. Then using the pointing tool click on the line, and them right click and you will see simplify. This will then show a point at each end. You can then click on the line and add more points. I would start with one in the middle and drag it up to the top of the profile. Then click (in the menu on the rhs) make curve. A grey box will appear next to each box and you can drag it out and around to make the curves any shape you want. By adjusting each end you will be able to get your ellipse to the profile you want.

Andy G

Archived