west highland questions 1980s

darren chpamn

i am just starting doing some research  on modelling west highland railways and have a few questions

what is the average length of of the platforms on the line (coach lenth will do fine for this) 

2 i have seen a picture with a full brake in the rake did these full brakes have scotrail branding as well as the mk1 coaches

3 how many diagrams were need to run a daily service

kind regards daz

Hi Daz

In the mid to late 80s the following applied:

Point 2 - full brakes were less common on WHL than on the Kyle & Far North lines, pretty sure some of the latter ran branded Scotrail (indeed I've branded one myself based on a 'what if' line between the WHL & Inverness)

Point 3 - from what I recall there were 7 passenger diagrams covering both FW/Mallaig and Oban routes typically, 2 of which were for the Oban turns. Freight diagrams dependent on traffic and year, generally declined as time went on.

In respect of point 1 platform lenghts vary, somewhere like Glenfinnan only holds loco plus 3/4, Corrour even less, but Crianlarch more. I've kept my own rakes to 4/5 max, not untypical for the mid 80s although sometimes rake of 2 on the Mallaig could be seen, but at peak times could more. The sleeper IIRC was 4 though from London and 3 added at GQSt.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

This thread has some formations for the West Highland area. Also veering away from passenger stock there are some pictures of the Queen Mary brake van DS56292 which resided at Crianlarich in the 1980s.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28679-west-highland-coaching-stock-early-1980s/?hl=%2Bqueen+%2Bmary+%2Bcrianlarich&do=findComment&comment=301579

There is a 1982-3 Scottish Region Passenger Train Marshalling book available on-line, (does that count as "mid" 80s) it can be accessed via Robert Carrol's Yahoo group BR loco-hauled coaching stock 1948-97.    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BRCoachingStock/info  All West Highland workings are in that book.   In general the workings were 4/5 coaches, between Glasgow and Oban/Fort William with the sleeper the longest at seven coaches, no BGs were rostered.  Mallaig services would be 2/3 coaches, and hte mixed train was still running at that time.

Jim

Archived