The LSWR Van Enigma

Garethp8873

Hello guys,

A few years ago I posted the question 'What's this LSWR Van?' up on RMWeb. Several years on, I am still at square one with this van. As it's been several years since I posted the question, I have decided to start afresh and see if the answer can be found several years on.

From my knowledge, I can tell it is a blend of a several types of LSWR Van. It has the ends of the standard LSWR Vans and the outside frames and vents of the meat, butter and fruit vans. The doors however are what puzzle me. I have only seen doors like these on a example that was once preserved on the East Somerset Railway. Link is here to the van at East Somerset. The wagon has a Coopercraft magnet on the underneath of it and from what I have seen on the Southern E-Group they seem to say that the van is of Chivers origin. I have asked Chivers about it and I got no where with them sadly.

I hope that this wagon can be identified as I would like to it to be eventually restored for running on the layout.

Good luck!! Garethp8873.

IMG_1617.jpg IMG_1618.jpg IMG_1624.jpg

Whats it made of? If its Resin it might be from John Arkell, but I believe he is a member of SEMG so should have seen your question, but then again rather a lot of us old-timers in SEMG have give up on it as a group utterly unable to stay on topic.

Jon

Whats it made of? If its Resin it might be from John Arkell, but I believe he is a member of SEMG so should have seen your question, but then again rather a lot of us old-timers in SEMG have give up on it as a group utterly unable to stay on topic.

Jon

She's a plastic or resin kit built van. Bought in a large lot several years ago with three plastic/resin standard LSWR Vans and a LSWR Open who's origin as well cannot be explained. I actually asked SEMG about it a few years ago and I think they told me to speak to Chivers which I did. Chivers weren't of much help sadly.

Gareth.

• 5 months later...

Recently, I've realised that this van could not be a Chivers model as all LSWR wagons made by Chivers were metal kits wheras this is plastic.

Jon

Do you know how I can contact John Arkell at all Jon? I am up for going down any route to get this wagon officially identified...!!

• RMweb Premium

I think you spoke to my son who said he would ask me, but you never came back. I would have pointed you straight to John Arkell and, knowing John a little, I would expect it to be accurate. He traded for a short time under the name of Maple Models.

Roger

Recently, I've realised that this van could not be a Chivers model as all LSWR wagons made by Chivers were metal kits wheras this is plastic.

Do you know how I can contact John Arkell at all Jon? I am up for going down any route to get this wagon officially identified...!!

http://www.hmrs.org.uk/stewards/stewardslist.php look up SR then John is the SECR steward.

Jon

http://www.hmrs.org.uk/stewards/stewardslist.php look up SR then John is the SECR steward.

Jon

Right, I have just received an email from John Arkell:

Hello Gareth I've had a look at your photo and can say that it is not one of my kits. Allmy kits had 'Maple Models' moulded underneath. There were two possibleaddresses. Seaton, Devon or Sundridge, Kent. The model you have has severalfeatures that make it similar to LSWR vans but I can't quite tie it down toa true design. It has four triangular vents on the side timbering indicatingit is a ventilated van of some type but all the photos of ventilated or meatvans I have seen in Southern Wagons books show LSWR vans had sliding doorswith matching 'X' bracing, not full height cupboard doors. On meat vansthere is a fifth vent on the door itself. Also the underframe is wrong, itis not fitted with LSWR axleboxes and appears to have GWR OK oil axleboxessuch as you would find on a Ratio or Coopercraft underframe. The possibilityexists that the van body is scratchbuilt with an injection mouldedunderframe from a kit. I hope this helps, at least it has ruled it out as an old Maple Models kit.Regards John ArkellTunbridge Wells

Trying to think which route to go with now... :(

• 1 year later...

Archived