Vacuum cylinders

Right now for the stupid question. I am scratch build a loco from a general arrangment drawing scaled to 1-43.5. The detail under the cab is not very clear. There is a brake cylinder mounted horizonally. Now did vacuum cylinders get mounted horizontally or is it the steam brake cylinder?

Thanks in advance

I don't know of any engine with either a vacuum or steam brake cylinder mounted horizontally, what engine are you building?

It is an EX LSWR 0395 class. 

If you look at the picture of the drawing of underside part of the cab you will see there is a cylinder mounted horizontally. 

post-13601-0-41385100-1410215707_thumb.jpg

Whilst I know nothing about LSWR practice, horizontally mounted steam cylinders are known elsewhere. For example, GWR Dean Goods, Midland 1532 class (early Johnson 1P 0-4-4T, later versions had vertical cylinders). Off hand, I can't think of an example of a horizontal vacuum cylinder. Steam cylinders are typically much smaller than vacuum cylinders. At a rough guess from memory, the above examples are no more than about one foot outside diameter.

Nick

I have come to the conclusion that it is the steam cylinder and when they fitted the vacuum brake they used a combination brake valve. Using the existing steam brake on the loco and tender, and the vacuum for the train. But I am still interested in what they actually did.

Hi All,

Some industrial steam locos have horizontally mounted steam brake cylinders too. Vacuum cylinders rely on being mounted vertically to work properly!

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

It does help thank you I thought that was the case, but you never know 100%.

I am sure they did not alter the brakes when fitting the vacuum system, I am sure they just used a combination brake valve.

Hi Peter,

It depends upon the loco as to what system was used. I can only really speak from my GWR experience of course but there were some shunting only engines fitted with just a steam brake. Smaller locomotives tended to be (although not always) fitted with a combination brake - steam on the loco and vacuum for the train. The mid size and larger locos were vacuum braked throughout.

All the best,

Castle

It is a ex LSWR 0395 class which is about the same size as the old LMS 2F.  I have made the parts now on the assumption that it had a combination brake valve. If some one can prove I am wrong I will redo it. This was assumed because it was built with steam brakes, and retro fitted vacuum. LSWR like SR never liked spending lots of money unless it was powered by electricity, and even then they did not overspend. 

Archived