Falcon paint colour

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I have a Heljan Falcon which I have just indulged myself by having some etched nameplates made. As you can see from the photo they are a tad too small and although I am not too worried I would like to paint over the underlying transfer at some stage.

I am not sure if it could be removed with t cut but am reluctant to go down that route, I would rather overspray the underlying Falcon plate.

My problem is that I have a severe form of colourblindness which allows me to see the colours but I don't know what they are...it's like seeing words but not being able to interpret them. It is not a problem unless I try to do something like match paints ( my wife picks all the paint to decorate!).

Could anyone help by pointing me towards the correct shade that would be commercially available?

Thanks in anticipation

post-7211-0-90681500-1410347675_thumb.jpg

post-7211-0-94907300-1410347823_thumb.jpg

I fear this is not as straightforward as it seems.

Having looked at a lot of photos of the real thing, and bearing in mind the variances in film colours, processing, and final printing in a book or magazine or indeed appearance on a website, I'm not at all convinced that the Heljan colours are correct, nor indeed am I sure anyone knows what they really should be. Which means we can't say, for example, its BR Sherwood Green as produced by Precision - which it almost certainly isn't by the way. Some years ago I did a Silver Fox resin kit with L&J grilles, and did mixes for the green, brown and roof cream, and I'm not convinced by any means I have the right answer -  I will say that my green is somewhat brighter and less brown than Heljan's!

I presume that the idea here is to stick with Heljan's colour, right or not, otherwise a total respray would be needed, not to mention masking all the grilles. I suspect a mix will be needed, probably starting with a lightish BR green such as Sherwood, and then adding some brown. Maybe someone out there has actually done it?

Sorry to be so unhelpful.

John.

Archived