UID Western Help Needed

slilley

I have just acquired some negatives of various locomotives and this one was in amongst. It is from around 1963/4 so I am told, the small yellow panel would leave me to think that is a possible. I cant make out the name on the nameplate, though a feature that might help narrow it down a bit is that the OHLE warning flashes are relatively low compared to some that I have seen on Westerns at that time. I think the picture was taken at Old Oak.

Any suggestions as to which Western this could be?

Thanks ever so much for your help.

Simon

post-10427-0-13766300-1410541117.jpg

Hi Simon - a very nice photo that, many thanks for sharing it.

The 1963 / 64 date looks correct as the headcode is for a Padd-Wolverhampton Low Level / Birkenhead service and it's definitley one of the Swindon built Westerns. It looks like one of the maroon / small yellow panels machines with a medium length nameplate and checking the position of the OLE flashes against photos I currently have to hand it could be D1006, D1007, D1008, D1009, D1012, D1013, D1014, D1016, D1017 or D1021. If you have any other similar shots it might help to identify this one.

It looks like there's a D8xx Warship in the background but the amount of wagons dotted around makes me think it's not Old Oak shed, although the track layout does sort of 'fit'.

Edit : at first glance I htought it might be one of the green / small yellow panel locos as the window pillars look quite dark, but the plates look as though they have dark backgrounds (ie: black) and the pillars could just be very dirty. Also, the bufferbeam are looks black which would make it a maroon loco.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon - a very nice photo that, many thanks for sharing it.

The 1963 / 64 date looks correct as the headcode is for a Padd-Wolverhampton Low Level / Birkenhead service and it's definitley one of the Swindon built Westerns. It looks like one of the maroon / small yellow panels machines with a medium length nameplate and checking the position of the OLE flashes against photos I currently have to hand it could be D1006, D1007, D1008, D1009, D1012, D1013, D1014, D1016, D1017 or D1021. If you have any other similar shots it might help to identify this one.

It looks like there's a D8xx Warship in the background but the amount of wagons dotted around makes me think it's not Old Oak shed, although the track layout does sort of 'fit'.

Edit : at first glance I htought it might be one of the green / small yellow panel locos as the window pillars look quite dark, but the plates look as though they have dark backgrounds (ie: black) and the pillars could just be very dirty. Also, the bufferbeam are looks black which would make it a maroon loco.

I agree about the background Nidge - I couldn't make it fit for Old Oak due to the wagons however the roof of the building in the right background (which is on the other side of the canal) does fit for OOC and that would put the '1000' on the 47 Road as far as I can make out.  In view of where the 'Warship' is standing I wonder if the wagons might be explained by depot demolition/rebuilding which was around 1964?

Mike - having looked at the photo again I'd agree (likewise TSE ;) ), one thing which threw me a bit this morning was not seeing any evidence of the roundhouse beyond the corner of the Factory where the Warship is passed, so I'd say the photo is probably late '64 or very early '65, around the time the bulk of it was demolished, but before all the trackwork was altered. The general murkiness of the shot suggests Autumn / Winter which would also 'fit'.

Thanks very much everyone for their input. I did wonder if it was a bit of a long shot but getting it down to one of 10 is excellent. I had a feeling that the OHLE flashes would be a bit of a clue.

Alas this is the only picture and the person who took it and gave it to us could only remember it being probably 1964.

Best wishes

Simon

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I agree about the background Nidge - I couldn't make it fit for Old Oak due to the wagons however the roof of the building in the right background (which is on the other side of the canal) does fit for OOC and that would put the '1000' on the 47 Road as far as I can make out.  In view of where the 'Warship' is standing I wonder if the wagons might be explained by depot demolition/rebuilding which was around 1964?

Not in any way challenging your and Nidge's far superior knowledge, but if it is Old Oak and 1M09 is for a Padd - Wolverhampton Low Level / Birkenhead service, why is the headcode on the London end of the loco, rather than the country end as one might expect...?

• RMweb Gold

Not in any way challenging your and Nidge's far superior knowledge, but if it is Old Oak and 1M09 is for a Padd - Wolverhampton Low Level / Birkenhead service, why is the headcode on the London end of the loco, rather than the country end as one might expect...?

Various possible reasons - the loco could have been turned (at least two ways of that happening) or it's carrying the same headcode on both ends to help various folk see what it is to work.  And of course someone might just have put teh code up on the wrong end - wouldn't have been the first time I bet!

(One thing you learnt on some parts of the railway was not to believe what the headcode said - that was one reason why they ceased to be displayed)

Archived