'0395' kit from 'Golden Arrow'

Bruciethefish

This is not one that I've been actively promoting, but the muse struck me a week or two ago, with the result that I've just completed the moulds for the Adams '0395' class kit, which has been on my 'to do' list for several years. This has been conceived around the loco-driven Hornby '4F' chassis, suitably shortened, but could possibly fit almost any of the 8ft+8ft6" 0-6-0 chassis out there with a little tweaking. There's enough room between the splashers for 'P4' wheelsets, in which case the Comet '4F' chassis would be ideal..

This kit is not yet on the website, but I should have a few of the first examples available at the R.E.C. Woking show this coming weekend, priced at £55, & I hope to have them added to the website sometime next week for anyone wishing to purchase them by mail order, though I can email paypal invoices to anybody wanting one straight away. Images will follow as soon as I've built up a sample....

These simple & robust locos had a long service life, introduced in the 1880's & lasting into the late 50's. Most of the class were requisitioned by the war department during WW1, & ended up in Egypt, Palestine, Mesopotamia (Iraq) & Salonica;- Twenty remained in Britain, & were useful enough to survive well into BR days on the Southern,, with a couple of examples spending many years hired to the Kent & East Sussex from WW2 onwards. I've chosen to model a 'typical' example with Adams boiler featuring the characteristic sloping smokebox front, & a Drummond chimney. Provision is also made to build either the long or short-framed versions.

As usual with this range of kits, I only put in the box what I can manufacture in my own workshop, so you'll need the usual buffers, handrails & other small detail fittings, as well as some 16mm tender wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived