Bachman Pannier Syndrome

sn

I call it BPS or Bachman Pannier Syndrome!  I have 4 of these. 3 have, one-by-one , developed a problem where when you place the loco on the track they will move only incredibly slowly. After about 5 mins they will get up to only about a scale 30 mph. Start them up the next day and the problem returns.

I treat them just the same as all my other bachman locos and this is not apparent in other types.

It is driving me crazy!

Help!

Len

I call it BPS or Bachman Pannier Syndrome!  I have 4 of these. 3 have, one-by-one , developed a problem where when you place the loco on the track they will move only incredibly slowly. After about 5 mins they will get up to only about a scale 30 mph. Start them up the next day and the problem returns.

I treat them just the same as all my other bachman locos and this is not apparent in other types.

It is driving me crazy!

Help!

Len

Motor lost its magnetism?

Are we talking split chassis or the later type?  I have a scrapped three split chassis types as the motor burned out and the wheels came loose on the axles, not necessarily in that order but I have neither serviceable motor nor usable wheels, the coupling rods are handy for re wheeling K Chassis with Romfords though.

I guess sluggish running plus big OnTrack power unit equals burned out motor.

I had one conventional wiper chassis Pannier Tank do this - a combination of the white grease per The Signal Engineer`s post and the keeper plate being too tight (the two central screws on this particular one (not my other PTs) need to be on the verge of falling out). Did you also do anything to the spring on the central axle? Nonetheless, definitely could be the motors.

...3 have, one-by-one , developed a problem where when you place the loco on the track they will move only incredibly slowly. After about 5 mins they will get up to only about a scale 30 mph. Start them up the next day and the problem returns...

You have a direct comparison between the one good example and the other 3. Disengage the worm from the drive train and assess rollability from 'cold'. If the 3 problem locos are draggy compared to the good one, there's your trouble.

But I associate this problem description with oil inside the motor can getting onto the commutator and brush graphite. Some of it gradually removed by running the motor, but a new film develops when the loco stands. Replacing the motor the practical solution.

Archived