Euston to St Pancras by tube - quickest option

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Normally when we head abroad by Eurostar the weather has been fine and it's been quite pleasant to stroll between Euston and St Pancras (even though London seems to move at twice the pace we do) but the last time on our return we were knackered and decided to try the tube. We took the Northern line, but seemed to walk just as far as we would have done on the surface. Could any tube aficionados tell me if the Victoria line is any quicker/easier on the legs?

Hi Neil,

How about a holiday in Britain and avoiding London? If your good lady protest and still wants to go abroad, then don't give her so much to carry therefore she will not be so knackered and will be able to take a pleasant stroll along Euston Road. :)

Alternatively, to avoid the tube altogether, you could try:

Euston - Bletchley - Bedford - St Pan

Might take a tad longer though.

Or Overground from Euston to Willesden Junction then to West Hampstead and walk to West Hampstead Thameslink.  It will probably have stopped raining by then. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil,

How about a holiday in Britain and avoiding London? If your good lady protest and still wants to go abroad, then don't give her so much to carry therefore she will not be so knackered and will be able to take a pleasant stroll along Euston Road. :)

Hello Clive, for many years we took our holidays in the UK. When the kids came with us it had to be somewhere within easy /quick reach of home (are we nearly there yet). When we lived in the bustling metropolis that is York we'd come to a quiet bit of the Welsh coast. Now that we live at the far end of a quiet valley in mid-Wales we head off to European cities for our hols. As Mrs R can't fly and I won't this means taking the Eurostar and hence the Euston - St Pancras transit. As it looks as though the tube won't save time or legs perhaps I'll wire ahead to check the availability of hansom cabs or sedan chairs.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Clive, for many years we took our holidays in the UK. When the kids came with us it had to be somewhere within easy /quick reach of home (are we nearly there yet). When we lived in the bustling metropolis that is York we'd come to a quiet bit of the Welsh coast. Now that we live at the far end of a quiet valley in mid-Wales we head off to European cities for our hols. As Mrs R can't fly and I won't this means taking the Eurostar and hence the Euston - St Pancras transit. As it looks as though the tube won't save time or legs perhaps I'll wire ahead to check the availability of hansom cabs or sedan chairs.

Now Neil she will be knackered carry you in a sedan chair :nono: :nono:

• RMweb Premium

i think thats what i have, i just do as you say, add money to it as and when i need to

i take it 'resident' oysters are linked to a bank account or card and debit the money as you go?

When I got one a few years ago (at London Bridge) it was very simple. Basically there was a sort of vending machine attached to the wall machine on the wall into which you put a small sum of money (a couple of quid IIRC) which then dispensed a 'pay as you go' Oyster card. I then had to go to a ticket machine to actually activate the card and add some credit as the 'vending machine' charge was basically to cover the cost of making the card itself. At no stage was I required to link the card to my bank account - or even link my private details to it.

The only downsides are that if it was lost stolen or simply stopped working then any credit on the card would be lost (if a card is linked to you personally, a replacement can be issued like season tickets can be replaced) and periodically I would need to top up via ticket machines.

Oyster can do this because when you 'touch in' the system checks your card and ensures you have enough credit on it to cover the maximum daily charge (£8 IIRC). If you have enough credit then the maximum charge is taken from the card and when you 'touch out' the difference between the actual journey and the maximum charge is credited back to the card. If you don't have enough credit when you touch in then the gates won't open until you put more credit on the card.

Now as with PAYG mobiles topping up manually can be a hassle and that is when the automatic top up via a linked bank account comes into play, however as with PAYG mobiles there is no obligation to do this.

Ultimately therefore anyone using Oyster can be just as anonymous as someone using traditional tickets if you want to.

• RMweb Gold

Alas Oyster cards are not necessarily anonymous in use - it is possible for various parts of the London transport network, including even the machines on some 'buses, to print out the complete travel history of a card.  So if, for example, TfL know that Mr A Smith has Oyster Card No. 27654 (which number might not even be on the card) they can download a complete travel history for that card from the system's records.

Any PAYG cards will of course be anonymous if paid for with caseh but those bought online will not.

Not a fan of the Great Wen, Brian? Are you tired of life? :drag:

Born in London, proud of it and can still walk it without a map...(North of the river only, please). :mail:

Best, Pete.

North of the Euston Rd is bandit country.

Dave - South London Boy

When I simply have to travel up from the country to see to affairs, I find a helicopter most suitable, whether from Euston to Kings Cross or to my club. Once my men have cleared a landing place on the Euston Road it's a simple stroll from my private carriage.

If you should need more information please feel free to ask to get your man to enquire of my man, he is very obliging.

Not quite as daft as it seems; remember in about 1968 an RAF Harrier jump jet departed from the St.Pancras coal depot to New York. The pilot had previously started from the Post Office Tower by helicopter to St.Pancras.

The RAF won the race to New York!

So the quickest way from Eus to STP should be by helicopter!

• RMweb Premium

For a slightly different perspective, bus from Euston (not sure offhand of the location of stop) to KGX. If using route 10 or 390, you will get a "New Routemaster" LT class, aka "Borismaster". Worth the experience, they are different.

Stewart

Though not in summer if the following reports are to be believed ;-)

http://www.boriswatch.co.uk/2014/07/22/which-idiot-in-charge-decided-to-buy-buses-with-windows-that-dont-open/

http://www.boriswatch.co.uk/2014/07/19/roastmaster-round-up-what-a-difference-a-year-makes-oh/

http://www.boriswatch.co.uk/2013/07/17/has-the-new-bus-for-londons-air-cooling-been-fixed/

http://www.boriswatch.co.uk/2013/06/30/great-boris-lies-12-it-has-got-amazing-new-air-conditioning-revisited/

Not quite as daft as it seems; remember in about 1968 an RAF Harrier jump jet departed from the St.Pancras coal depot to New York. The pilot had previously started from the Post Office Tower by helicopter to St.Pancras.

The RAF won the race to New York!

So the quickest way from Eus to STP should be by helicopter!

Interesting. There's quite few pics of the Harrier at St P, although I've not found a 'best' site to links to. Worth googling

XV744_St-Panc_Web.jpg

Just to remind us bumpkins there are visitors Oyster cards. They are pre paid cards which you dont link to an account but use cash or card to top up at a ticket m/c. You swipe same as a normal Oyster. The only real downer is that if an infrequent visitor you may have a few £ tied up on a card but there is no time limit on spend. We got ours 18 months ago and daughter borrowed it for a trip to the smoke and worked OK. A significant advantage is you do get the daily Oyster cap, the max you get charged in a single day. On one of our days the trip back to Abbey Wood (caravan club site) from Charring Cross was free.

You can always return the card. You get your full deposit and any remaining money back.

Alternatively you can use a contact less debit or credit card which also allows daily caps

Archived