GWR Ground Frames

81C

• RMweb Gold

Well that one can only go on one side Bob as there's no room for it on the other side.  

Ideally it should be at the toe end of the point and preferably slighty beyond the toe end of the point so the person working it can handsignal a movement back over the point after making sure it is properly closed.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Mike, I think I will connect that one to the box and have the next turnout along on the frame, Its me being lazy as I did not want to put so much rodding in.

Second question if you would be so kind, the second turnout does not have a trap point covering it so will the lever be locked from the box and interlocked with signals if so will shunting disc be suitable bearing in mind this is all an area of sidings, again I'm trying to redue the amount of point rodding but I do want it to look right.

It really all depends at what happens at the other end of where they go to Bob - any chance of a pic looking in the opposite direction?

I believe the reason for a catch point is to prevent runaways from fouling the main line. So it's not so much of an issue that the turnout can be locked from the box, but what's going to stop stuff rolling from where it's supposed to be. An alternate option to a catch point is to have a headshunt, even a short one, where you switch to the head shunt when traffic is not transitioning from the main.

Looking at photo #2, assuming that the headshunt is the terminating line on the right of the photo, then it is protecting anything that is out of shot to the right of the turnout there. All the other sidings(?), the 5 alongside the station road are unprotected - this leaves the question is the station road a passenger line or will it be fenced off and used for freight only? In which case you may only need a trap point (or headshunt) before it joins the two track main off scene behind the camera.

There is a head shunt, I can work the yard without interfering with the mainline.

If there is a headshunt, you don't need a trap point. The headshunt serves that purpose, and tounouts controlling access to the headshunt/main line would be under the signalman's control.

Mark A

With this latest picture, if the (fully visible) point on the left side, leads to main & headshunt, then you're covered, no trap required. This point and the turnout from the main to the yard would be box controlled (linked) - with everything from the point underneath the screwdriver on switched locally in the yard.

• RMweb Gold

The line by the platform is a siding there will be a fence along the edge, it had to be wide to take a standard foot bridge as it was part built when purchased.

Excellent  - all the siding points, except the connection into the running line will have individual hand lever boxes as can be seen in some of the pics in this thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1563/entry-14262-sproston-hand-point-levers-and-some-signalbox-progress/

Bob at Alton did have some a while back in his 'clearance' box on the counter but I might have bought all of them, but on the other hand I might have missed some ;)

The only point worked from the signalbox, as a crossover with the running line end, is where the yard lines join the running line (bottom left of your most recent pic)  and there will also be a signal there.

• 11 months later...

As far as I remember (1982) a single lever controlling both ends of a crossover was common in ex GWR and other railways mechanical boxes. The end nearest the box would be (say) 18a and the end furthest away 18b. Two compensators required on the run, one for [box to a] And another for [ a to b].

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Mike I've just come back in from the man cave, that's 2 Wills signal box kits to buy, I had to go larger for the box as the Blue Anchor was too small next up was 2 Ratio kits spliced together and that looked naff.

Another question if I may Tyseley box had a crossover, one road to another on the same lever was that common practise on the main line or did each switch have it's own lever & rodding ?

Standard arrangement is a single lever working both point ends - in fact unusual for it to be any different but there were sometimes reasons for it to be done 'unusually'.  Depending on distance a single ver could readily work several point ends; the heaviest lever I have ever worked - admittedly with the rodding in a poor state - had one end of a single slip and one end, but both switches, of a double slip on it so it was working 3 sets of switches.

Far less common but it did happen - and was a right pig to get working smoothly - was to use one lever to work the Facing Point Locks at both ends of a facing crossover - also a major nuisance during disconnections hence the idea wasn't much liked by anybody!

PS the newest Ratio GWR signalbox really doesn't work out at all when trying to double or increase its size - which is also a right nuisance.

Archived