Croydon North Street - NSE 3rd Rail 1980s/90s

Pete 75C

Thanks... the end is in sight. In a couple of weeks, it will be almost exactly 16 weeks since the first piece of wood was cut. If I'm honest, I think my first love is in the building of a layout and I am fully expecting to get twitchy about what to do next. Once the depot entrance is built, I need to disassemble North Street and move it down one floor into a room that's 90% complete (ie: painted). I need to make a few electrical tweaks and then clean everything and make sure it all works properly. Aside from the lighting fascias, there won't be much else to do...

I have an idea about what to build next but if I let my head make the decisions instead of my heart (always difficult), getting this house sold should be the first priority... One thing's for sure, it will be portable and trains are likely to run round and round and round and round and round... etc.

• Like 2

Fantastic work there pete . Your layout has given me great ideas for the mk2 version of my plank now including a station and fiddle yard and of course 3rd rail. Keep up the great work

Stuart

Be warned... 3rd rail is addictive and there is now so much RTR available, you'd be daft not to... You have my utmost sympathy!

• Like 2

Being a kent man im going to Stick to my routes with the 3rd rail haha. But slightly further back in time more around the late 70s early 80s i just need to pick up a 3 way point and then all the track work can be fitted and wired with slow action point motors.

• Like 3

Very nice Pete, I do like the NSE livery, especially with the stripes going up at the ends. In my opinion it really suited EMUs and locos, I much preferred 47s and 50s in the original rather than the revised NSE.

I quite fancy a model of 47573 as it stayed in that livery until 1991.

Croydon North Street is really coming on, I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the low relief shed. Concrete pad looks very good!

Don't get me started on house moves, not long moved in here and with any luck it'll be the last time!

Couldn't agree more... it can be a little stressful, to say the least! We've moved 3 times in 7 years. One more move (local) when we've sold this house and then we're off abroad in 5 or 6 years time, if all goes to plan.

• Like 2

Hmmm... that's true... when we last lived abroad, we did spend most of our time outside. Gauge 1 around the pool? Now there's a thought! I've no idea where I'm gonna get a 2EPB that big...

Pete

Cannot get my head around how you found the time to do so much so quickly, took me 5 years!! Great layout.

I can.

I've been keeping up with Brighton East. The time and effort you've spent getting that signal gantry to look just right... I mean, you even say that you ditched the Absolute Aspects theatre indicators for being slightly overscale and have had correct-sized indicators 3D printed and you've made them work...(!) I simply wouldn't have bothered and that's the difference...

I'm very much still a graduate of the beginners school of railway modelling and just a year or two ago, my idea of a model railway was to nail some setrack to a Track Mat! I'm notoriously lazy and if I don't have something to hand, I'll cobble something together from the bits box and say "that'll do". Don't get me wrong, I'm not belittling my efforts, but I'm the first to admit that I have a long way to go! I am very much looking forward to the journey though...

• Like 2

First attempt at the low relief depot building. Needs a lean-to extension on the right and the whole thing needs a roof. Weathering will be done once it's in place (or maybe before? not sure yet). Lego (what else?) was used to give 90 degree internal corners and to stiffen the whole structure which is clad in Wills sheets. Although it's impossible to see in the pictures, the roller shutter door does actually run in a groove made from Evergreen styrene channel strip.

post-17811-0-42716300-1420301697.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm... that's true... when we last lived abroad, we did spend most of our time outside. Gauge 1 around the pool? Now there's a thought! I've no idea where I'm gonna get a 2EPB that big...

Scratch-build it? Together with a 4EPB to go with it?

• Like 1

Thought at £11 for a a large coffee cup size it kinda stops Costabucks from being the most expensive coffee cup size dealer there :D

post-17811-0-44930700-1420446350.jpg

...at that price, ebay or charity shops might be the way ahead!

I see in the Lego Shop at Meadowhall you can buy the individual blocks on a pic n mix type basis, so at least you can get the bits you actually want rather than a set :)

Thought at £11 for a a large coffee cup size it kinda stops Costabucks from being the most expensive coffee cup size dealer there :D

At least, Pete will be able to build it in  NSE livery, avoiding,  wobbly paint lining.           Gauge 1, would be feasible.

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 1

For anyone that does have access to old unwanted Lego lying around, this is the shell that I used when making the depot entrance. Perfect 90 degree corners, and if you were to make a whole 4 - sided box, it's incredibly rigid. It also takes poly cement really well but that renders it unusable again! I can imagine that if you're careful with the glue, you could just use the shell to assemble the building and when you're sure the corners are square, save the Lego for another day. It's really useful stuff and I'll certainly be keeping an eye open for more of it. Be warned that if you buy a "lucky dip" selection on ebay (for example), you'll end up with at least half the pieces being of no use at all... it's only really the original "bricks" that are useful.

post-17811-0-18622200-1420449349.jpg

• Like 2

For anyone that does have access to old unwanted Lego lying around, this is the shell that I used when making the depot entrance. Perfect 90 degree corners, and if you were to make a whole 4 - sided box, it's incredibly rigid. It also takes poly cement really well but that renders it unusable again! I can imagine that if you're careful with the glue, you could just use the shell to assemble the building and when you're sure the corners are square, save the Lego for another day. It's really useful stuff and I'll certainly be keeping an eye open for more of it. Be warned that if you buy a "lucky dip" selection on ebay (for example), you'll end up with at least half the pieces being of no use at all... it's only really the original "bricks" that are useful.

attachicon.giflego.jpg

Very useful tip, thanks Pete,  will keep it in mind,   :drag:

Very useful tip...

Who am I kidding... I made a ferris wheel and a police car and, and, and... it's rather nice being 10 again... :yahoo_mini:

I grew up with the stuff before all the fancy Technic bits came along and it's a cool nostalgia trip. The kids think I'm mad...

On a slightly more serious note, the depot entrance and lean to is finished and glued into place. As soon as it's weathered, I'll upload a couple of pics. It's a nice corner filler... I certainly couldn't think what else to do with that space.

• Like 1

the double shadows are more selhurst park than selhurst depot Pete! I read somewhere that you should angle all your lighting in the same direction because all natural light comes from one direction (the current bun)

Been trying to give some credence to your display lighting.

Dependent on where you exhibit, and also the direction of the compass your end boards  are pointing.

More thought is required, in casting the shadow's over your layout,between the hour's of 10am to 5pm., in sync. with the sun,on the day(s).

:nono:  :nono:  forget it...........you can say it's overcast on both day's 

• Like 1