Croydon North Street - NSE 3rd Rail 1980s/90s

Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

^^^

The yellow clips at the end of the sleepers are anchors to keep them in alignment on a bend.

I think the yellow shrouding around the third rail are insulating boards to protect any staff walking on the tracks there.

Did a little RMWeb searching last night for Exactoscale/C&L concrete FB sleeper bases and apparently the spacing is either "too narrow", "spot-on" or "too wide". That wasn't very helpful... 

Easy to understand the confusion as all answers could be correct (OK so that doesn't help)

In reality sleeper spacing may be adjusted to suit traffic density on the line used.

Kev S

• Like 1

Easy to understand the confusion as all answers could be correct (OK so that doesn't help)

In reality sleeper spacing may be adjusted to suit traffic density on the line used.

Kev S

I think if I'm going to use Tillig for the pointwork and bearing in mind that the concrete sleeper spacing does look a little wide (to my eyes), I'll probably narrow the spacing just a little. Still streets ahead of Peco visually, I think. Also, I'm hoping that the Code 83 will handle older stock with deep flanges better than the Code 75 does on North Street.

• RMweb Gold

Nice article in HM Pete. I got the last copy in my local newsagents, and the bottom corner of the cover was missing - is there anything interesting in the bottom right corner?

I was surprised to find out your surname is Sharps, I'd got used to it being 75c.

Good stuff mate.

• Like 1

Nice article in HM Pete. I got the last copy in my local newsagents, and the bottom corner of the cover was missing - is there anything interesting in the bottom right corner?

I was surprised to find out your surname is Sharps, I'd got used to it being 75c.

Good stuff mate.

I think you're just missing the barcode, Colin. As barcodes go, it's quite interesting though... As everyone knows, my surname is indeed Seventyfivecee and my middle name is Lifeboatman, Sharps must have been a typo.

• Like 1

I commuted for 2 years to west croydon around 2003. I remember the connex slam doors were quite good fun... jumping out onto the platform just as the train stopped!

As a driver arriving into London with a rush hour 8 or 12VEP, at least 100 people would bail out and overtake me as I approached the buffer stops...

• RMweb Gold

I think you're just missing the barcode, Colin. As barcodes go, it's quite interesting though... As everyone knows, my surname is indeed Seventyfivecee and my middle name is Lifeboatman, Sharps must have been a typo.

Thanks mate, worked out most of that space would have been barcode - the staff in Martins were too busy whinging about the barcode being missing and having "to type the code on by hand now" to remember to apologise for selling me a damaged mag. Still, I had to have it - it's not every day you have a virtual friend in print is it?

• Like 1

Have reached a milestone today with Bruce the surfing plasterer in for the last time. Just one small, odd-shaped room left to do so the end is in sight on the house renovation. That is totally irrelevant to anything but it does mean that once everything's decorated, carpeted etc, this house will go up for sale and leave with with some free time... I don't mean to keep hijacking the North Street thread with musings and questions about what I want to do next, but it does seem as good a place as any. As soon as I can find somewhere habitable and dust-free, I'll set North Street up again and get the lighting fascia sorted. After that, I'm not sure. The West Croydon approaches (that's a cr*p name for a layout - I'll come up with something better) will be portable and DCC again but I do want to plan it and think it through a bit better. Has to be a roundy because I'm lazy. There's little point starting a new thread yet as I'm not ready to even start butchering wood, so you'll have to make do with me rambling on and on here. I do appreciate all your comments over the last few months and I hope you'll stick around for the next one!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
Pete 75C, on 14 Feb 2015 - 09:13, said:

The West Croydon approaches (that's a cr*p name for a layout - I'll come up with something better)

As said above, plenty of names. I'd favour Tamworth Road as the major thoroughfare paralleling the line.

• Like 2

The area you are modelling is flanked by North End, Clarendon Road, Ruskin Road and Tamworth Road. 

As said above, plenty of names. I'd favour Tamworth Road as the major thoroughfare paralleling the line.

Absolutely. There is plenty there to choose from. I'm not sure about Ruskin Road as Ruskin was one of the houses at my old school. Not my house, and therefore "the enemy"..! I do quite like "Tamworth Road" as long as no-one thinks the layout is set in Tamworth...

post-17811-0-18794200-1423903390.jpg

• Like 4

How much space have you got Pete, I think I may have just had a thought  (Ouch)

Max 11-12ft x 5ft to include off-scene curves and 6-8 road fiddle. Visible section will just be a "snapshot" of the area and is likely to be no more than 7ft-8ft x 2ft, from the back of the North End shops at one end and I'll "reposition" the Roman Way flyover as a scenic break at the other end. Would like to move the Tramlink flyover a little and get that in somehow too. I won't be able to fit in the full length of the Overground turnback siding, but the buffer stop at the western end of the siding sits under the flyover in reality, so it won't be an obvious deception. Take an aspirin mate, thinking's bad for you.

• Like 1

Name wise, how about 'Pitlake, Croydon'.

Dave

I think I was sick in the "Pitlake Arms" once. Folly of youth...

Colin - nice pics. Yes please, PM on its way.

Curious thing in the second from last picture!  How modellable...

I can't remember where that semaphore was. There was one halfway down the Sutton platform allowing crossover to the Wimbledon branch, but that was hung underneath the platform canopy, so it's not that one. The whole place is very modellable IMHO. Fascinating.

Edit: Duh. It is the one halfway along Platform 4. The picture needs to be turned 90 degrees to the right!

post-17811-0-62306600-1423907866_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Curious thing in the second from last picture!  How modellable...

And I just realised its come out at 90' to the perpendicular - its an upper quadrant signal and it's an M on the route indicator!

snip, Pete beat me to it!

Edited by colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

so here's my idea. It's a shame not to squeeze in the over track station building, ramps and decapitated signal box, so how about breaking the scenic section in the middle and bunging the fiddleyard behind the high wall at the back of the station?

You could still exhibit the "approaches"

Think of this as an electronic beer mat:

post-12721-0-68611900-1423908858.jpg

• Like 3

Damn and blast - that's given me even more to think about now...

post-17811-0-73423200-1423916447.jpeg

I hadn't thought of doing something scenic on both sides...

I would love to model the station itself as it has character with the two staggered bay platforms. It would look good semaphored pre-1982ish. I just don't think I'd want to compromise on length as the through platforms and the bay (platform 1) would have to hold 8 coaches...

post-17811-0-40573100-1423916940.jpg
© John Law

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes but if you put an imaginary new road across the stattion as a scenic break you could suggest longer platforms continuing underneath and just model the interesting end. I also think that would make it feel more "enclosed" like it does when you are down there.

• Like 1