Croydon North Street - NSE 3rd Rail 1980s/90s

Pete 75C

Absolutely, Steve. I have some deflectors I made up for Waddon Marsh but never got around to fitting them. The absolute final finishing touches including weathering, will have to come later because, as said, I'm a little conscious of spending too much time on any one area when there is still so much else to do. Pan the camera round to the left hand end, for example, and although the track is 3rd rail'ed and ballasted, it's still just bare board. Also, I haven't even ballasted the part-scenic section of the right hand board yet! To be honest, if I had any sense, I shouldn't have fitted lamp posts and street signs on the bridge just yet as I'm sure to damage something. With that in mind, I do think the next logical thing to do would be to continue the walkway along the backscene so I don't have to keep leaning across as work progresses!

Well, after a week's worth of decorating, Saturday dawned and I thought it was time to do something that didn't involve taking the lid off another tin of Magnolia emulsion.

I've added around a scale 200 feet of back garden fencing and walling along the backscene. I've also begun to add some concrete post fencing to the walkway. I need to add some weeds and debris to the path and when I'm (relatively) happy with that, I'll upload some pictures.

The main reason for posting is that I've decided "Manor Road" as a layout name isn't very geographical. Almost any town of any size will have a Manor Road. After Waddon Marsh, I didn't want to revisit the pifalls of modelling an actual location but I thought a name was needed that would tie the layout down to a particular area. I grew up near Croydon (lucky me) and used to spend my pocket money on the high street known as "North End". Croydon already has its fair share of mainline stations... East and South on the Brighton line and also West Croydon on the lines towards Sutton and Wimbledon (before Tramlink). In fantasy-land, I've decided Croydon can be greedy and have another station. "Croydon North End" didn't really work for me but "Croydon North Street" has a nice ring to it in my mind. Nothing else has changed, just the name, but I will have to bin the Network SouthEast "Manor Road" station nameboards that I'd already made!

More soon.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, after a week's worth of decorating, Saturday dawned and I thought it was time to do something that didn't involve taking the lid off another tin of Magnolia emulsion.

I've added around a scale 200 feet of back garden fencing and walling along the backscene. I've also begun to add some concrete post fencing to the walkway. I need to add some weeds and debris to the path and when I'm (relatively) happy with that, I'll upload some pictures.

The main reason for posting is that I've decided "Manor Road" as a layout name isn't very geographical. Almost any town of any size will have a Manor Road. After Waddon Marsh, I didn't want to revisit the pifalls of modelling an actual location but I thought a name was needed that would tie the layout down to a particular area. I grew up near Croydon (lucky me) and used to spend my pocket money on the high street known as "North End". Croydon already has its fair share of mainline stations... East and South on the Brighton line and also West Croydon on the lines towards Sutton and Wimbledon (before Tramlink). In fantasy-land, I've decided Croydon can be greedy and have another station. "Croydon North End" didn't really work for me but "Croydon North Street" has a nice ring to it in my mind. Nothing else has changed, just the name. but I will have to bin the Network SouthEast "Manor Road" station nameboards that I'd already made!

More soon.

You could have gone for Central and kept that station open a bit longer than early last century :sungum:

Anyway your chosen name still sounds good.

Edited by roundhouse

Ian, I had completely forgotten about the very brief existence of Central Croydon station. After a bit of Googling, I'm reminded that the station was built as a spur off of the Brighton line to take the railway closer to Croydon's high street and growing shopping areas and market (North End). Rather spookily, that's exactly the idea I had in my head for the fictional "Croydon North Street"... The old Central Croydon station was located between Katharine Street and Mint Walk shown in red on the map below, and you can see the close proximity to the high street.

Personally, I always found West Croydon station convenient for the shops, situated at the other end of the high street (North End) at the beginning of London Road. East Croydon station on the Brighton line was not exactly a million miles away either - roughly a ten minute walk from the high street and Whitgift Shopping Centre. No wonder Central Croydon station didn't last... Actually, maybe it did, was severely rationalised and renamed "North Street"? Thanks for the idea!

post-17811-0-91880500-1414915724.jpg

• Like 3

Pete

Have you been to East Croydon since they opened the new foot bridge and entrance into Lansdown Road directly opposite the Whitgift Centre?

I haven't been anywhere near Croydon for the best part of 6 or 7 years. I'm tempted to Street View the area as I'm getting a bit nostalgic for it as I get older!

Edit: The closest I get these days is Wallington when I visit Dad, but not Croydon itself.

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Gold

I haven't been anywhere near Croydon for the best part of 6 or 7 years. I'm tempted to Street View the area as I'm getting a bit nostalgic for it as I get older!

Edit: The closest I get these days is Wallington when I visit Dad, but not Croydon itself.

Just had a quick look on street view and the new entrance is shown

I told the wife what you said and won't repeat the response...! Couldn't agree more though...

I'm using Wills bridge abutment kits and their excellent VariGirder kits to make up the road bridge(s) at the moment. The girders will get a base coat of red primer and then I usually strategically "drizzle" some fine table salt into the moulded seams. This is followed by the top coat of paint. When all is dry, the salt is washed off under a running tap and it's probably the most realistic "rust" effect I know of.

I got hold of some Bachmann Scenecraft 1 tonne aggregate bags and have been trimming and painting some concrete sleepers. These will all get scattered alongside the front siding and give the impression that some major track work is about to start. My local model shop is selling their last few of these Bachmann Plasser Cranes for a good price and I'm thinking one might look good running up and down with a single spoil wagon. Amazingly for something so small with little room for a motor, never mind a decoder, it's DCC ready with an 8 pin socket. The wheels are tiny, and I've heard the mechanism is a little on the noisy side so I wonder how well it will run?

attachicon.gifowb10.jpg

Should fit in well, the original was based at Redhil. Now preserved on the Torbay and Dartmouth

More scenic progress. I had planned to use CR Signals 3 aspect colour light signals as the two platform starters but I've had a couple of Dapol semaphores lurking in a cupboard for a while. LMS-pattern, so not correct but hey - suitably weathered to remove the "shininess" I think they look ok. In my mind, it all adds to the run-down pre-privatisation urban look. Semaphore signals hung on at West Croydon until at least 1983... new to the railway, I remember having to climb them to clean the lenses!

The pedestrian walkway and fencing along the backscene is complete. I've been careful to vary the style of fencing as no two back gardens are the same. I now need to build up the baseboard flush with track level at the station entrance end and try to get a believable transition between high street and platform. Does anyone know when ticket offices were abandoned and smaller stations became "open" with just an information display and a couple of ticket machines?

post-17811-0-87554900-1415265228.jpg

post-17811-0-17817000-1415265230.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Very, Very nice Pete, Looking superb... Definitly need to up my game!

No idea about ticket machines, but I too need the same infor for Apagele, as that will be abandoned/boarded up.

Those semaphores really set it off. Could this layout be further from what I normally model, but its drawing me to a little 4mm BLT! *resist* *RESIST*

Steve, (off to look at Heljan cromptons)

• Like 1

Steve - don't look at Heljan Cromptons... I did just that whilst in the Bure Valley shop in Aylsham picking up some discounted N gauge bits and pieces. I ended up coming home with this...

post-17811-0-45703200-1415275271.jpg

...in my humble opinion, one of the nicest RTR locos I've ever seen. Coming home with this in a carrier bag was the beginnings of Croydon North Street. The blue 1970s/80s ones are luvverly too. I've also just managed to get a Blue/Grey 2EPB for a good price which needs to be run in and chipped. They seem to be a little thin on the ground online and in model shops (I wonder if a new batch are due from Bachmann - I'd love a NSE-liveried one, but I think that was a limited edition). Realistically, the Crompton, the 2EPB and a couple of wagons are all that is needed for a minimum  space OO SR layout a lot smaller than Croydon North Street... Go on, you know you want to! Just finish Apagele first, 'cos it's an absolute gem.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Steve - don't look at Heljan Cromptons... I did just that whilst in the Bure Valley shop in Aylsham picking up some discounted N gauge bits and pieces. I ended up coming home with this...

attachicon.gif3433.JPG

...in my humble opinion, one of the nicest RTR locos I've ever seen. Coming home with this in a carrier bag was the beginnings of Croydon North Street. The blue 1970s/80s ones are luvverly too. I've also just managed to get a Blue/Grey 2EPB for a good price which needs to be run in and chipped. They seem to be a little thin on the ground online and in model shops (I wonder if a new batch are due from Bachmann - I'd love a NSE-liveried one, but I think that was a limited edition). Realistically, the Crompton, the 2EPB and a couple of wagons are all that is needed for a minimum  space OO SR layout a lot smaller than Croydon North Street... Go on, you know you want to! Just finish Apagele first, 'cos it's an absolute gem.

Just like 'Wet Paint - Do Not Touch' and 'Caution Hot'....

I can feel myself at the top of a slippy slidey slope, I only have Apagele, Boxhorn and Melton to do, oh, and a micro layout for the Dapol 0 gauge 08 if that ever turns up.... (although I do have another 'prototype' box on the way soon which will need filling)

I don't know the first thing about southern TLA's but like the look of them and they always fascinated me when I did see them (almost like foreign loco's do).

• Like 1

Wow. I've just learnt something... the self service ticket machines that I remember from my early 20s were called the "Ascom B8050 QuickFare" - they were the basic ones that let you choose from a limited number of push-button destinations. If you needed to travel somewhere less common, you still had to visit the ticket office. These began to be seen on Network SouthEast from around 1989. The smaller "Permit to Travel" machines began to appear a year earlier in 1988. That would tie in reasonably well with Croydon North Street. I wonder if you can buy them or if I have to carve some plastic sheet and get out the red paint?

post-17811-0-44875200-1415282451.jpg

These files are made available under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Wow. I've just learnt something... the self service ticket machines that I remember from my early 20s were called the "Ascom B8050 QuickFare" - they were the basic ones that let you choose from a limited number of push-button destinations. If you needed to travel somewhere less common, you still had to visit the ticket office. These began to be seen on Network SouthEast from around 1989. The smaller "Permit to Travel" machines began to appear a year earlier in 1988. That would tie in reasonably well with Croydon North Street. I wonder if you can buy them or if I have to carve some plastic sheet and get out the red paint?

attachicon.giftickets.jpg

These files are made available under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication

Print out those photos at a suitably reduced size and mount on pre painted red boxes made out of styrene.

• RMweb Gold

This is looking lovely, Pete. The Quickfare machine needed the PERTIS machine alongside for the time when it didn't work and you had to convince the conductor that you had attempted to buy a ticket to avoid a penalty. Penalty fares legislation was new then.

Having worked in Croydon in 1967-73, and been a resident (Broad Green) in 1973-4, this vibrant town (as it then was, maybe still is) could certainly support an extra station. ISTR when I wrote the Investment Submission for rebuilding East Croydon, the £ take was the biggest outside the London Terminals - Birmingham New Street maybe excepted, I think.

• RMweb Gold

All the canopies at east Croydon are currently being rebuilt again using the existing Victorian columns and trusses. It looks as if it will get a central pitch roof section (can see some new steelwork) over the buffet and waiting areas, maybe with glass in them but not easy to tell at the moment with all the scaffolding and sheeting.

Edited by roundhouse

I've definitely finished throwing the green scatter material around. I'm conscious that otherwise, Croydon North Street will start to look more Ashburton, Devon, than The Ashcroft Theatre, Croydon! Time for lots of concrete and faded brickwork at the station entrance end of the main board.

This is looking lovely, Pete. The Quickfare machine needed the PERTIS machine alongside for the time when it didn't work and you had to convince the conductor that you had attempted to buy a ticket to avoid a penalty. Penalty fares legislation was new then.

Didn't the Permit to Travel machine require a minimum payment of 5p? It's a wonder anyone ever paid any more than 5p... I remember at the newly-rebuilt Wallington station, there was one by the side gate as the main entrance was never opened until around 6.30am and the ticket office was quite often shut until at least 7am.

It's looking very nice. How about a Bratchell 456 (you can buy them in NSE) on the layout too?

Bachmann's scenecraft range might have the ticket and permit to travel machines...

Tempted by more than just the Bratchell 456... the 455 and 319 would fit snugly in Platform 1 (obviously not at the same time)! I'm not a huge collector of stock - I tend to just buy what I need for whatever layout I'm building, but I do find myself drawn more and more to the area I grew up in. With that in mind, if I acquire some Central Divison 70s/80s/90s units, they will be sure to see service on any future build. I also like the 4PEP, ever since I got nosey and climbed all over one whilst it was laid up in Clapham yard.

I'll take a look at the Scenecraft range, but as Ian (roundhouse) says, it would be simple enough to make. I'm pretty crap at scratchbuilding, but a simple ticket machine would be a good start!

Superb work. The speed of your progress puts me (and most others I'd guess) to shame.  I still live in Wallington (but down the leafier green end).

You've done much better with the Scalescenes road markings on your various layouts than I managed - could never get the tarmac sections to match.

There's a Bachmann Scenecraft pack 44-502 that contains a couple of ticket machines  (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-44-502-Train-Station-Modernisation-Pack-OO-Gauge-/231378655982?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35df3e1aee) and several ebay sellers sell card ticket machines but I would have thought you'd be perfectly capable of a great DIY job anyway.

I don't know the first thing about southern TLA's but like the look of them and they always fascinated me when I did see them (almost like foreign loco's do).

I'm probably just being a bit dense and will surely kick myself but... what's a "TLA"? I googled it and I'm sure it's not "The Littlehampton Academy"...

• Like 1

Thanks pauln. Wherabouts in Wallington? I was in Osmond Gardens, just off Demesne Rd. Mellows Park was the closest green space when I was a kid but we used to go down to Beddington Park simply because it was huge and more fun. I used to hang around by the ponds at the Hackbridge end of the pedestrian path that led from Croydon Rd down past the grammar school. Happy days.

I used the Scalescenes tarmac sheets a couple of times on N gauge layouts but I was never happy disguising the joins either! For this I've used cut vinyl markings:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realistic-looking-A4-Cut-Vinyl-Road-Markings-for-OO-HO-Gauge-Hornby-Layouts-/281485280591?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4189d4854f

...they're good quality and a doddle to apply. A bit shiny, but they can be weathered with powders once in place. A pet hate of mine is visible joins in roads and car parks etc. I've got in the habit of using copier paper to make a template and then cutting a piece of 3mm MDF. The road surface is weathered, then the vinyls applied, then weathered again.

Thanks for the link to the Scenecraft station pack. I'll have a go at making them myself but it's nice to know there's a lazy option if it all goes wrong! I do remember there used to be an ebay seller "dustylionflower" that supplied pre-painted NSE red metal benches, station clocks etc. Wonder what happened to him?