North Eastern Rly C Div Bracket Signal.

I have been sked to build several signals for a c1937 4mm model of Middleton in Teesdale ex North Eastern Rly. Unfourtantly, the people concerned don't have photographs of the actual signals, and being Central Division, nither do I. I have based this one on an example that survived at Eaglescliff until the early '60's.

The model follows my usual practice, filed main post and dolls, decking boards cut from 1mm thick strip etc, the arms etc are etched.

post-702-0-82835200-1411906313_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Dear Paul, you come from that part of the world, do you please have any photo's of Central Division signals? Many Thanks, Mick.

Only what I can spot in books, there's so many variations it gets confusing!

What spectacles have you used? I used some Stevens ones from MSE on Felton Lane's signals but had to modify them at the top.

Paul, thanks for your reply. I have since been told there are many design differences. Aparantly, "Middleton in Teesdale" was written up in the Railway Modeller years ago, as the "Layout of the Month", I will have the magazine, but I don't have a clue which issuie.

The spectacle plates and arms are Highland Rly, and from Mark Tatlow.

Paul, thanks for your reply. I have since been told there are many design differences. Aparantly, "Middleton in Teesdale" was written up in the Railway Modeller years ago, as the "Layout of the Month", I will have the magazine, but I don't have a clue which issuie.

The spectacle plates and arms are Highland Rly, and from Mark Tatlow.

Try Arthur (Kimber), he did a model of Middleton years ago so may have some info

Mick, still hunting. I know I've something somewhere. Ken Hoole's "Branch Line Termini" doesn't have anything. I know the east end of Barnard Castle had one on the goods lines so check your yahoo email for the evidence.

Regards

Steve

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

First and third images please me enormously, because the left hand (seen from the front) signal is on, but not absolutely horizontal... makes my less than perfect alignments protoypical!!

George

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

First and third images please me enormously, because the left hand (seen from the front) signal is on, but not absolutely horizontal... makes my less than perfect alignments protoypical!!

George

I believe caused by the signal arm shaft/bush being worn and the weight of the spectacle causing the arm to point up by pivoting on the operating rod.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm now back on with the Midleton in Teesdale signals. Attached picture of work to date on the Platform Starter, the model is set pre-war, so both dolls will be in use, the left-hand one a miniature arm.

The top of the main post is milled both back and front to accomodate the trimmers, likewise the bottom of the dolls.

post-702-0-76642200-1424264508_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At long last and following numerous unplanned diversions, the two Middleton in Teesdale bracket signals are finished. The arms are etches from Mark Tatlow, the ladders etc are ex D&S but altered to suite. The brackets like the posts, dolls and decking are homemade.

post-702-0-53787400-1428495853_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-60283900-1428495886_thumb.jpg

Archived