Rail and sleepers

JZ

As I embark on building my Gurney Slade layout, loosely based on Binegar, I was wondering about track. Now I am aware that some parts were relaid with FB rail, Midford, Templecombe from photo's. But were anything other than wooden sleepers used? I'm asking because I will be using Peco track in the country and I do like the look of Peco steel sleepered track.

I would be extremely surprised if anywhere on the S&DJ had steel sleepers.

The other option that is possible is the provision of concrete sleepers with bull-head rail. There were certainly fair stretches of this on non-electrified lines, including branches, on the Southern in the 1950s but I don't know whether this included the S&D.

I would be extremely surprised if anywhere on the S&DJ had steel sleepers.

The other option that is possible is the provision of concrete sleepers with bull-head rail. There were certainly fair stretches of this on non-electrified lines, including branches, on the Southern in the 1950s but I don't know whether this included the S&D.

The line between Frome and Radstock had sections with steel sleepers, but of course is WR.

There were some concrete sleepers around the Bailey Gate area but cannot remember precisely where. Never saw steel sleepers. Ballast was a mixture of Carboniferous Limestone (found a load of CL fossils in the ballast stones) and was coloured grey with a lesser mixture of basalt/andesite which was a brown colour. Both came from Mendip quarries. It surprised me, until reading the geology of the area, that there was basalt/andesite (a volcanic rock) in Mendip but the relevant quarry (Moon's Hill Quarry operated by John Wainwright & Co Ltd) currently supplies the brown hardstone road dressing you sometimes find on the approach to junctions and roundabouts. Hope this is of interest.  Ballast colour is an important vernacular for me modelling the S&D but I do accept that maybe I need to get out a bit more.

Concrete sleepers with bull-head rail were used for a significant stretch of line north of Spetisbury. The S & D Railway Trust recovered quite a few for use at Washford in the ealy 1980s.

I half-recollect that steel sleepers were used in some of the sidings around Highbridge, so it might be worth checking pix there.

• RMweb Premium

Please be awere that Peco's steel sleeper end offering is meant to represent that installed over the past few years on NR. As such it's design may not be suitable to represent steel sleepered track in the 1950s & 60s.

Please be awere that Peco's steel sleeper end offering is meant to represent that installed over the past few years on NR. As such it's design may not be suitable to represent steel sleepered track in the 1950s & 60s.

I shall get the bike out later and cycle to Kilmersdon where there is a section steel sleepered, though from memory this is bullhead rail.

There was flat bottomed track in many places and with concrete sleepers at Shepton Mallet, www.flickr.com/photos/tingleytim/7093545889, Shepton Montague 13581134344 and Shillingstone 12052665736.

FB with wooden and concrete in that shot. Love the stance of the woman in the pale coat, you don't see that many female railway photographers.

Archived