Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

NFL - American Football

Ian J.

The NFL rules for a tied game at the end of regulation time seems odd.  Win the toss and score a touch down and you win without the other team getting the ball!  Any ideas why the rule is this way?

The NFL rules for a tied game at the end of regulation time seems odd.  Win the toss and score a touch down and you win without the other team getting the ball!  Any ideas why the rule is this way?

The NFL has had 'sudden death' playoffs for a long time. There were two tied overtime games this season so they don't always produce a result even after 15 minutes..

At one point they had different overtime rules in the regular season and the playoffs, but they are the same now - the playoff overtime rules being adopted. The SuperBowl cannot end in a tie.

It's not a given that the team receiving the ball will score a touchdown. If the defense can get a stop, the momentum goes to the team that kicked off at the beginning of overtime. Also if the defense scores - a touchdown or a safety, then the game is over.

If the team that receives the kickoff scores a field goal in their first possession, then the other team has an opportunity to score.

Fundamentally it is about player fatigue - hence the 'sudden death' rule.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

The Canadian Football League has different overtime rules. In my opinion, they are fairer, depending much less on the result of the overtime coin toss.

SECTION 8 – TIE GAME

In the event that the score is tied at the end of the second half of a game, each

team will be given the opportunity to score using the following procedure:

• The first team, as determined by coin toss, shall scrimmage the ball at the

opponent’s 35-yard line and may advance by consecutive series of downs until it

makes a score or loses possession.

• The second team will then scrimmage at the same 35-yard line and proceed

as above.

• If the score is a touchdown, the convert attempt must be a two point attempt

scrimmaged from the 3-yard line.

• If the score is still tied, the procedure shall be repeated at the opposite end of

the stadium.

• A winner is determined only if both teams have had equal opportunities to

score.

• If a winner is not determined after two attempts the game will be declared a

tie.

• If the game is a playoff or championship game and a winner must be

determined, the same procedure shall continue until a winner is finally declared.

Edited by pH

The NFL has had 'sudden death' playoffs for a long time. There were two tied overtime games this season so they don't always produce a result even after 15 minutes..

At one point they had different overtime rules in the regular season and the playoffs, but they are the same now - the playoff overtime rules being adopted. The SuperBowl cannot end in a tie.

It's not a given that the team receiving the ball will score a touchdown. If the defense can get a stop, the momentum goes to the team that kicked off at the beginning of overtime. Also if the defense scores - a touchdown or a safety, then the game is over.

If the team that receives the kickoff scores a field goal in their first possession, then the other team has an opportunity to score.

Fundamentally it is about player fatigue - hence the 'sudden death' rule.

Rugby Union rules are 2x10 minute periods of extra time, if the scores are still tied at that stage then a further "sudden death" period of 10 minutes in which the first score of any kind, ends the game. Failing all that, a kicking competition akin to soccer's "penalty shootout" - although things have only reached this stage on one occasion (Leicester v Cardiff in the 2009 Heineken Cup)

Personally, I'd think it most likely that the Super Bowl uses a "first score" system because of the commercial pressures to end the game as quickly as possible at that stage.

Edited by rockershovel

I don't really think so much of the current NFL overtime rules, because one team can lose without ever having a chance to possess the ball. There's still too much riding on the coin toss.

I would abolish OT in the regular season and accept that there would be a few more ties, and only go to sudden death in the playoffs once both teams have had a possession.

I don't really think so much of the current NFL overtime rules, because one team can lose without ever having a chance to possess the ball. There's still too much riding on the coin toss.

I would abolish OT in the regular season and accept that there would be a few more ties, and only go to sudden death in the playoffs once both teams have had a possession.

Long time Packers fan

For OT, I would like to see the coin toss abolished, as too much rests on it, and the team with the least fouls get automatic first try. Whilst no team would play to be the least foul!, it would at least reward cleaner and fairer play.

YMMV

Regards,

Tiffy

• RMweb Premium

How is who gets to pick the overtime coin toss decided?

The Patriots got the starting toss, which they called wrongly, as visiting team. I heard that in commentary. Again why were they the visiting team, as it was a neutral venue?

They also got to pick the overtime toss, which they called correct. Was that the same rules or something else?

Rob

The "home" team alternates between the AFC and NFC. It only affects coin tosses and jersey colour choice as far as I can tell.

This year the NFC/ Falcons were the "home" team, and they chose to wear red. (Almost all of the last 10 Superbowls were won by the team in white, oddly...).

• RMweb Premium

Apparently KS is going to run the 49ers offense himself... :scratchhead:

Meanwhile we've taken someone called Steve Sarkisian as replacement OC and have let our DC go, so there's a bit of a coaching staff change over happening. I gather from NFL news that this is supposed to have been in the works from sometime during the regular season, so not as such caused by the SB collapse.

Regarding dark omens for our defeat, yes, I read before the game that choosing a red jersey was a 'bad idea'. Also, no MVP for the regular season has gone on to be in a Super Bowl winning team since Kurt Warner in 1999. So we were kind of screwed no matter what we tried to do... ;)

Edited by Ian J.

Sarkasian apparently has had drink trouble in the past, though I don't know any more than that.

I'm OK with KS being the OC as well as the HC. He got the job on the back of being an excellent OC, so I wouldn't want him to hire a bad one... Chip was basically his own OC, but so was Bill Walsh, and he did alright really.

Not totally shocked by your DC. The defense was definitely the weakness over the season (weakness is a relative term), though if the game had ended differently he probably wouldn't have gone.

Meanwhile we've taken someone called Steve Sarkisian as replacement OC 

Steve Sarkisian has a long history in college football.

He was head coach at Washington (in Seattle) and then moved to USC as head coach. Ultimately he was removed at USC with alcohol related issues and hired by Alabama as a 'consultant' in 2016. The OC who helped Alabama get to the NCAA Championship game left for a new head-coaching job the week before the college championship game making Sarkisian the OC with a rookie QB he had never worked with. Alabama lost the championship game to Clemson. This happened last month.

I like Tiffy's idea of the team with fewer penalties getting the ball first, and then each team getting possession until there is a winner.  Will it change?  It would make for an exciting finish. And wouldn't it be good for TV ratings?   We live on a reasonably busy street in Utah USA and it is at its quietest during the Super Bowl and that includes Christmas Day.

Like my friends in the US who think the best of soccer is penalty kicks to decide a draw, I think college football overtime is its most exciting.   

Heres a silly question - which channel has the TV rights for NFL in UK next year? - TBH I hope it is BBC, I prefer their presentation with the guy with the beard (whose name I can never remember) with Osi and Jason doing the talking ball by ball, to Mick Luckhurst and that other guy - as ex players they seem to know much more about the game

• RMweb Premium

The BBC's coverage deal last negotiated in September 2015 was for two years from then, so I think that's now run out. I've not heard anything yet about which broadcaster (other than Sky) will show NFL for the 2017 season, if any.

• 3 weeks later...

It's an exciting time to be a former bears backup QB, if you want to live by the bay.

Not sure what to think of all these free agents we're signing after the last few years of signing precisely no one. It's a totally alien experience...

• RMweb Premium

We seem to be doing little on the free agency front so far. I think that defensive line of rookies and second years has allowed us to hold on to our more seasoned players.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

So. The 2017 schedule is out, and it appears that we're playing against the 'Hawks again, and Green Bay again (first competitive game in the new stadium) and there's a rematch with the Pats... gonna be fun ;)

• RMweb Premium

When's the draft? Is it this weekend, or next?

Scratch that, just read that it starts on Thursday 27th.

Edited by Ian J.

Draft day is here! In a way it's exciting, but it's also teams I don't care about choosing players I've never heard of.

Whatever we do with #2, we'll end up with a player who has a name and a position. Hope he turns out to be good, whoever he is.