The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

NFL - American Football

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

A good idea - yes or no? This is the best article I've found on the subject - more background than others.

http://wreg.com/2016/12/11/proposed-law-would-let-guns-inside-stadiums-in-washington-state/

A bad idea - for so many obvious reasons pointed out in the article itself.

• RMweb Premium

Well, we won against the 49ers, though it was expected. I can't see the actual game itself, but I follow the score and plays online, and it appeared a bit scrappy on our part so not a good indicator of us being a strong team, yet. We have at least now got a winning season. But the NFC South title fight will probably go to the wire as though the Buccs lost against the Cowboys, they're only one game behind us.

Next week on the road at Carolina, with the final game of the regular season at the Saints. Both are winnable for us, but we could still stumble against either or both of them.

So the Lions come crashing back down to earth after defeat by the Giants.  Potentially going from no 2 seeds in the play-offs to missing out altogether (two tough games to come against the Cowboys and Packers)!

I feel your pain! The Redskins had the playoffs in the palm of their hand had they beaten the Panthers, as most people expected. Needless to say, they lost, and it looks as if we too are not going to be playing beyond week 17.

• RMweb Premium

Yay! The Hash Browns won one!

So did we. Puts us 10-5, with just the Saints left. Will be interesting to see how the Buccs do tonight. A tie or loss and we take the NFC South.

Edit: got up this morning to see that the Buccs had lost to the Saints. That hands us the NFC South, and cements a playoff berth. Right now we're No 2 seed - I didn't expect to see that. But I think we still need a win against the Saints next week to be in with a chance of holding that place and getting a first round bye.

Bad news for Raiders though with that injury to Derek Carr, ouch.

Good news for the Hashs as they got their first game of the season proper and evaded the 0-16.

And a win for the 49ers too :) You're competing with the Browns for the first picks in the draft!

Edit: apparently, a win against the Saints on Sunday will seal the deal and we'll get the first round bye, and a second round homefield advantage. The Lions-'Boys game tonight will have bearing though, as I believe if the Lions lose, we will take the 2nd seed based on tie break procedures (though I'm not 100% sure about that).

Edited by Ian J.

One game left in the penultimate round of games, and I find myself having to support the Dallas Cowboys for tonight's game, if we are to retain our destiny in our own hands.

For a Washington Redskins supporter, this is similar to a Manchester City fan having to support Manchester United!

Well that's over.

And back on the coaching carousel. I'm sure we'll get the premium candidates now we'll be onto our 4th coach in 4 years. No way they'd pick the Denver job over SF...

Baalke needed to go, but I think firing Chip as well was a mistake. Bill Walsh wouldn't have got much more out of the roster we had this year, and we just look even more stupid now.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like the 49ers are having a bit of an off period. Hopefully it won't last as long as the Raiders poor decade (and some). The Falcons have managed to get the 2nd seed and the playoff bye, which hopefully bodes well. Apparently sometimes the break can be disruptive and actually playing through the wildcard round can keep a team on its toes, whereas having the break can cause complacency. We'll see. I don't fancy us facing either the Seahawks or the Packers again, but it seems it must be so.

Unfortunately, our problem is the owners. Hiring Harbaugh was a "blind squirrel finds nut" moment in the dismal near 20 years of York ownership. And they ran him out of town over a personality clash. (Not that JH is the type to stay anywhere long, but we fired someone who went to 3 straight NFCCGs over an 8-8 year - we're miles from getting back to that level, never mind contending...).

Anyway, it's playoff time now. I'm rooting for the Chefs, or failing that, anyone but the flippin' Stoolers.

Anyway, it's playoff time now. I'm rooting for the Chefs, or failing that, anyone but the flippin' Stoolers.

Unhappy times for Niners fans and has been ever since the Alex Smith/Kaepernick QB debate. 

They are a team with a proud tradition of having elite pocket-passing quarterbacks. They broke with that tradition by hiring Alex Smith and compounded it with Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick was great at Nevada but the (then) Western Athletic Conference is not the NFL.

Despite the success of Russell Wilson and Cam Newton it's still not clear to me that read option college quarterbacks can be really effective franchise quarterbacks (like Brady, Rogers or the Mannings) in the NFL. Russell Wilson might be the exception but the Seahawks are now very inconsistent on offense, in part due to this year's "budget" offensive line that was a consequence of meeting Wilson's contractual requirements. Newton and the Panthers didn't even make the playoffs.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Kap was - briefly - very successful, but it seems he just hasn't developed as hoped. But he was actually mostly OK this year, not worth his cap hit (though we've got so much space that's academic), but he wasn't part of the problem this year.

The problem was that most of the team were backup level talent, and we finished with 20 players on IR, meaning that most of our starters at the end of the year were Practice Squad level talents.

Still, it's a smouldering ruin now, and we have to hope that Jed can somehow attract a decent GM and Coach to help with the dumpster fire. Being the only GM vacancy this year should help.

• RMweb Premium

Well, the 49ers are apparently interviewing our OC Kyle Shanahan. While I desperately want him to stay on with the Falcons, I doubt we would be able to offer a paycheck big enough to keep him and the prestige of getting a head coaching position might be enough for him to move on.

So you may get our OC, and if so, I hope he can do for you want Dan Quinn and he did for the Falcons.

• RMweb Gold

Happy that Miami made it through to the playoffs as I started watching when Dan Marino was flinging things around to great effect but more importantly the pack have got through and Aaron Rodger is playing out of his skin. Thing is though I just don't see it being enough.

Who would I go for from the last 12? I think it will be the Patriots or Chiefs V Dallas in the big game with Dallas coming out on top.

Well, the 49ers are apparently interviewing our OC Kyle Shanahan. While I desperately want him to stay on with the Falcons, I doubt we would be able to offer a paycheck big enough to keep him and the prestige of getting a head coaching position might be enough for him to move on.

So you may get our OC, and if so, I hope he can do for you want Dan Quinn and he did for the Falcons.

He'll be a HC somewhere sooner or later. I doubt SF will be the choice if it's this year though, he can probably pick his spot.

Apparently the favorite for the 49ers (according to bookmakers) is McDaniels. The same guy who thought Tebow was worth a draft pick. I hope he's learnt from that experience.

• RMweb Premium

So in a few minutes the Raiders go into their wildcard playoff game against the Texans with a quarterback who has never started a game before. This should be interesting...

• RMweb Premium

I think the result of Raiders@Texans was inevitable, unfortunately. Cook needs much more practice and active play before being in a situation like that. However McGloin looks to be just as ineffective even when fit. They need to get Derek Carr back up and healthy for next season and work on Cook as the secondary. They might even release McGloin in the off season.

To what matters though: the 'Hawks beat the Lions comfortably, meaning the Falcons face them next weekend. I think I'd rather have the Seahawks than the Packers though. Either way it would have been a rematch, but we lost to the Hawks and there will be desire on our part to get one back, while we won against GB by one point and they will want revenge. Also I think they are the tougher team of the two, with Rodgers and Co having improved immeasurably in the last few games of the regular season.

Yeah, they were one and done the minute Carr went down. At least Houston have had all season to practise how to be moderately successful with bad QB play.

I hope you stamp all over the squawks (lions were never beating them). Divisional rivals and that...

If both teams play their best, I think the Seahawks will win. Having said that the Seahawks have been very inconsistent this year. They will be missing a couple of key players and this coupled with their inconsistency gives the Falcons a very good chance to win the divisional round and do so convincingly. This is a very hard game to predict.

Maximum seachicken is probably better than maximum falcon, but the squawks definitely miss Earl Thomas, they're far from invincible this year.

It has the making of a really good game actually. Divisional round is usually the best week of the season (other than week 1, when hope springs eternal, even for Browns fans), so I'm looking forward to all four games.