The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

NFL - American Football

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

Bu**er. That was not a pretty game. But it goes to show that a good D with an average O will pretty much always outsmart a good O with an average or weak D. We have work to do. Bye for week 11 for us, hopefully a couple of injured O players (Coleman and Tamme) will get back to fitness before the 49ers game in two weeks.

I've realised an error after checking the Falcons schedule this evening. We're up against the Cardinals in week 12, then it's Chiefs, Rams, 49ers, Pants and Sants.

Say ya to da u.p. eh!

Two guys from Michigan die and wake up in hell.

There's lots of rim shots to that setup:

• ... and said "At least the water is better than in Flint"
  • ....and said "wow, this is really nice"
  • ... and said "at least the people here have jobs"
  • ... and said "now I know what Ohio is like"
  • ... and said "It's still better than Wisconsin"
  • "Did they notice the difference?"
  • "A distinction without a difference"

etc.

Nothing in particular against Michigan but there's a meme here:

Or is it this or even what they think of WI or OH.

Search "Pure Michigan parody" in Youtube.

• RMweb Premium

Nothing to report in our bye week, but I was hoping for a Buccs loss, especially against the Chiefs, so I'm a bit disappointed about that. The Pats are too bloody good, I think any team would struggle against them, but you have my sympathies. GB seem to be having a torrid time of late, not good.

GB seem to be having a torrid time of late, not good.

Depends if you are a Redskins supporter. (Green Bay 24 - 42 Washington, for those who do not follow American Football too closely)

Downside, if you are a Redskins supporter is that we are in the NFC East. Winning record for the season thus far, and firmly stuck in 3rd place in the division.

• RMweb Premium

We had a good win against the Cards today, 19-38, puts us 7-4 with three home games in the last five. Saints took out the Rams. As I type, Raiders are playing against the Pants and level, and the Buccs are playing the 'Hawks and winning. Lots of time remaining in those games though. I'd still hopeful of us getting into the first round of the playoffs comfortably :)

• RMweb Premium

That was close. Disappointing loss for us against the Chiefs 29-28, we gave away interceptions and couldn't complete at crucial moments, and our defense still isn't good enough. Puts us 7-5 and potentially not making the playoffs, but conversely that game was probably the last of the 'difficult' ones of what's left (touching wood as I type).

That 2 point runback was unusual. Only saw it as a highlight.

I gave up on the 9ers, it was like 13th century football out there in Chicago - who needs the forward pass?

We'll get a nice high draft pick to waste on a DB with a blown ACL, so that's some consolation.

• RMweb Premium

I put it down to a tactical error. I feel we just aren't good enough at two-point conversions and shouldn't try them unless it's the only way to get overtime or a win during overtime. If we'd stuck for one-point we'd have been ahead and could have worked out keeping ahead from a better position. Instead the decision was made to go for the two and we got royally s*****d.

... we just aren't good enough at two-point conversions and shouldn't try them unless it's the only way to get overtime or a win during overtime.

I can't think of a situation where a two point conversion would win an overtime game. The extra point is not attempted if a touchdown is scored during overtime. With normal NFL overtime rules, the game is over as soon as one team scores a touchdown or a safety. The rules change in the post-season but it's still sudden death after two field goals.

I'm sure it's happened in CFB before as they've had that rule for longer, but it's only been an option in the NFL for a couple of seasons.

Yes. In fact it happened again on Saturday when Florida returned a blocked PAT conversion against Alabama in the SEC Championship game.

By moving the point after touchdown kick spot further away (at the 15 yard line beginning in 2015) the NFL is deliberately encouraging teams to consider more two point conversions by making a successful kick less automatic. It's working for the league.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

And a couple of weeks back they had about 12 missed PATs. A bit of a law of unintended consequences there, I don't think the NFL really wanted to make kickers more influential...

It's working as intended. Before the change the probability of PATs was 99.3%. For the 2015 season it had dropped to 94.2%.

The kicker is always an important position - plenty of games are decided by a made/missed field goal.

Not counting quarterbacks, kickers are often the leading point scorer. 

File that one under "finding a way to lose". 2 missed FGs before half time and then we lose in overtime from 17-3 up.

I knew it was going to get hard when or center was injured, since our backup center could be replaced with a cardboard cut out with no discernable drop off in performance.

At least we're not the rams.

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, the Rams sucked last night, from that first fumble onwards. We let them have a few points late on though. Next week, we're up against the 49ers. I apologize in advance if it turns out as predicted, but if you do get a win against us I'll won't hold it against you.

Well it's not like I have any influence on the outcome, but you'd have to go the the wing stadium to lose to us this season. Our only real chance of 2-14 this year is the second rams game. We'll probably lose that, but we have at least lost to pretty much all the contenders for the #2 overall now.

C'mon jags...