Furnace Way Sidings

Alcanman

Neil, the building is a standard Hornby R9733 Works Office which comes pre-painted.

However, the bricks and mortar are rather bright so I toned them down with a grey wash to dull the mortar and weathered the bricks with Tamiya weathering powders.

After the gloomy weather last week, this week's sunshine has provided the opportunity to take some pics of the layout. I do prefer taking pics in natural light.

Here we have 6S45/9.32 (SO) North Blyth - Fort William alumina tanks arriving and reversing at FWS.

post-7898-0-36087600-1417602704_thumb.jpg

loco uncouples ...

post-7898-0-47777000-1417602750_thumb.jpg

...and runs around

post-7898-0-66374200-1417602791_thumb.jpg

the real 6S45 arrives at Newsham where it will reverse

post-7898-0-38917900-1417602858_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've filled in the gaps between the trees with more sea moss and I'm reasonably happy with the results.

attachicon.giffws 3.11.14 001.jpg

attachicon.giffws 3.11.14 004.jpg

New addition to the Class 66 fleet is Gbrf 66731 which will be used on North Blyth - Fort William Alcan trains.

I'll lightly weather the loco later, most Gbrf 66s I've seen appear to be reasonably clean. A Legomanbiffo sound decoder will also be fitted.

attachicon.giffws 3.11.14 005.jpg

attachicon.gif66737 at Newsham 30.08.14.jpg

Hi Mal, I'm giving myself a break so I can enjoy your work, Excellent! Captures the locality beautifully.

I'm particularly interested in the sea-moss. I have a box full that I picked up second hand for next to nothing. The way you've done it I like the way its natural delicacy is filled out. I'll be copying that.

Regards, Hal.

Over the weekend I've started weathering the low relief warehouse. This building was added simply to provide a break in the trees.

I'll probably add some security fencing later.

attachicon.giffws 9.11.14 001.jpg

attachicon.giffws 9.11.14 002.jpg

In addition, the yard office has been weathered and now looks more like the one at Tyne Yard (see earlier pic)

The ground area around the building still needs some work done.

attachicon.giffws 001.jpg

I recently looked at Furnace Way sidings on Google Maps and was amazed to find how similar the track arrangement is to my plan.

A loop with 2 sidings plus the crossover on to the B&T 'main' line. (The latter not modelled)

Also, Google Earth shows a set of Alcan PCAs in the loop.

Here is a pic of Bedlington South signal box which used to control arrivals and departures into FWS. The box is still in use today.

attachicon.gifB&T 12.9.14 001.jpg

Love it!

I badly need some North Eastern signalbox plans... Any advice?

Hal.

Sadly, I have to confess it was a quicker trip through your thread than it deserves, but I thoroughly enjoyed it - very realistic. And I enjoyed the videos, too. 

You know, since green diesels captured me I really like contemporary work. Under other circumstances I could do it.

Anyway, wor lass bought me a Bachmann sound 40 for Christmas, bless her. (she didn't realise how loud it is though!) I'll have to video it one day. :) It'll have to be re-numbered as its west-coast, but that's not a problem, that and a small yellow panel.

Cheers,

Hal.

Archived