CV,s over 255 using Digitrax

kevinwilson

I need to adjust some cv's on a ZIMO chip using Digitrax equipment, most of the cv's I need to get at are over 255 which seems to be the max available on the controller, am I missing a trick here or do I need to download some software and use a laptop?

I need to adjust some cv's on a ZIMO chip using Digitrax equipment, most of the cv's I need to get at are over 255 which seems to be the max available on the controller, am I missing a trick here or do I need to download some software and use a laptop?

Kevin,

Your Digitrax might not be very helpful, but ZIMO has provided a way to overcome this problem.

Here's the ZIMO method to get around restrictions imposed by some DCC controllers.

Note that there are three alternative values to use in CV7, depending upon just how high in the CV range your system can address.

Special procedures for DCC systems with limited CV range:

Configuration variables #266 to #500 are used for the selection and allocation of sound samples as well as other settings. Programming CV’s in this range is no problem for high-level systems (such as the current ZIMO DCC systems) both in "service mode" or "operations mode".

There are however many DCC systems in use (some still in production) that can only access CV’s up to #255 or even worse to #127 or CV #99.

For such applications, ZIMO decoders offer an alternative way of reaching higher CV’s via lower numbers. This is done with an initial "Pseudo-Programming" of

CV #7 = 110 or = 120 or = 130

which increases the CV numbers about to be accessed by 100, 200 or 300.

For example: If programming CV #266 = 45 is not possible, programming CV #7 = 110 followed by CV #166 = 45 executes the desired programming of CV #266 = 45

or

if neither CV #266 = 45 nor CV #166 = 45 is possible, programming CV #7 = 120 followed by CV #66 = 45 also leads to the result of CV #266 = 45.

The initial CV #7 – "Pseudo-Programming" state – remains active for further programming (which means CV #267 is entered as #167, CV #300 as #200 and so on) until the decoder is powered down. ATTENTION: After re-booting the system, the "Pseudo-Programming" is lost, that is programming CV #166 is indeed accessing CV #166 again. See below to prevent this!

The "Pseudo-Programing" can also be stopped without power interruption with

CV #7 = 0

which means that the programming reverts back to the original CV #166.

Using as an initial "Pseudo-Programming"

CV #7 = 210 or 220

achieves the same results as above but remains active even after the system is powered down. This state can only be cancelled with

CV #7 = 0,

which is important to remember in order to program lower CV’s again.

Kind regards,

Paul

Older Digitrax throttles max at CV255. Newer ones don't max out, so a newer throttle on an older command station will solve the issues.

If you have an older command station, and a computer interface (PR3 or LocoBuffer) there is no upper CV limit through the computer interface.

Or, you can use the Zimo offsetting work-around outlined by Paul.

- Nigel

Kevin,

Your Digitrax might not be very helpful, but ZIMO has provided a way to overcome this problem.

Here's the ZIMO method to get around restrictions imposed by some DCC controllers.

Note that there are three alternative values to use in CV7, depending upon just how high in the CV range your system can address.

Special procedures for DCC systems with limited CV range:

Configuration variables #266 to #500 are used for the selection and allocation of sound samples as well as other settings. Programming CV’s in this range is no problem for high-level systems (such as the current ZIMO DCC systems) both in "service mode" or "operations mode".

There are however many DCC systems in use (some still in production) that can only access CV’s up to #255 or even worse to #127 or CV #99.

For such applications, ZIMO decoders offer an alternative way of reaching higher CV’s via lower numbers. This is done with an initial "Pseudo-Programming" of

CV #7 = 110 or = 120 or = 130

which increases the CV numbers about to be accessed by 100, 200 or 300.

For example: If programming CV #266 = 45 is not possible, programming CV #7 = 110 followed by CV #166 = 45 executes the desired programming of CV #266 = 45

or

if neither CV #266 = 45 nor CV #166 = 45 is possible, programming CV #7 = 120 followed by CV #66 = 45 also leads to the result of CV #266 = 45.

The initial CV #7 – "Pseudo-Programming" state – remains active for further programming (which means CV #267 is entered as #167, CV #300 as #200 and so on) until the decoder is powered down. ATTENTION: After re-booting the system, the "Pseudo-Programming" is lost, that is programming CV #166 is indeed accessing CV #166 again. See below to prevent this!

The "Pseudo-Programing" can also be stopped without power interruption with

CV #7 = 0

which means that the programming reverts back to the original CV #166.

Using as an initial "Pseudo-Programming"

CV #7 = 210 or 220

achieves the same results as above but remains active even after the system is powered down. This state can only be cancelled with

CV #7 = 0,

which is important to remember in order to program lower CV’s again.

Kind regards,

Paul

Many thanks for all this help, I have ordered a couple of the latest controllers so that will help. If I go the computer route which is the best software do you think?

Many thanks for all this help, I have ordered a couple of the latest controllers so that will help. If I go the computer route which is the best software do you think?

Kevin,

Can't help there, I'm 'old school'.

Can your Digitrax be connected to a computer?

Paul

Yes Digitrax can connect to a PC, most often with their own PR3 or third party devices like Locobuffer.

Software is a bigger question, but JMRI Decoder Pro is free, very good and probably the most used software for changing CV s from a PC

Archived