Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

This morning Ivo Peters managed to chase the Withercombe-Barnstaple-Exeter (all stations) & catch the train at a few locations along the branch.

Withercombe platform 2 see's Hymek 7017 backing down to the train....

post-6992-0-86676000-1433521127_thumb.jpg

Departing Withercombe....

post-6992-0-41656200-1433521198_thumb.jpg

Through the wooded valley.......

post-6992-0-00836000-1433521247_thumb.jpg

Crossing the second major bridge on the line...

post-6992-0-83154000-1433521480_thumb.jpg

A couple of views in 'Box Cutting' ......

post-6992-0-50160900-1433521505_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-22350300-1433521534_thumb.jpg

And finally 7017 can be seen crossing bridge 3 towards Barnstaple & beyond.....

post-6992-0-03654500-1433521605_thumb.jpg

Phill 

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 19

I built up the bridge abutments for the new viaduct yesterday evening.......

post-6992-0-86861600-1433581344_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-04214700-1433581558_thumb.jpg

The present line in this area & the raised ground it's on will be completely removed once the viaduct is built & the new line is up & running.

Phill

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 6

That is going to look amazing Phill. :sungum:

I have just ordered my reinforcing bar/rod . I have now decided to cast the pillars in sittu as opposed to casting them then fitting them. ( Still in discussions with my engineer ).

Looking forward to the next lot of pics.

Rob :boast:

• Like 2

I'd love a garden railway , wife would kill me

I'd love a garden big enough for one bigger than N gauge ....!! 

Your railway looks fantastic fun Phill, top job!!

Keith

• Like 1

That is going to look amazing Phill. :sungum:

I have just ordered my reinforcing bar/rod . I have now decided to cast the pillars in sittu as opposed to casting them then fitting them. ( Still in discussions with my engineer ).

Looking forward to the next lot of pics.

Rob :boast:

Having your own engineer sounds very impressive!, are you casting pillars in situ & then adding arches cast off site? :)

Hi Phill,

Cracking photos and work - as always.

Looking forward to seeing the progress of the viaduct too.

Kindest,

CME

I'd love a garden railway , wife would kill me

Isnt it your garden too, or is it a case of swmbo? :mosking:  :secret:

I'd love a garden big enough for one bigger than N gauge ....!! 

Your railway looks fantastic fun Phill, top job!!

Keith

What about this sort of size?

(See Post # 161)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77273-down-ampney/page-7

Kind regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Seeing as I've never shown any interest in plants etc, she may get the jist if I suddenly did...

Bless you, Im no gardener either (my father is, he has green fingers and its like a form of meditation for him - hes always on the go), I like nice gardens, yet the railway and the garden need to look nice so its a good incentive and even just light fettling of the garden is very therapeutic.

I had no interest in plants either, but the garden railway changed that Rob....a garden railway running through weeds would look rubbish lol ;)

I agree fully Phill.

At a guess, I'd say that's about 200% bigger than our garden! (which does have its benefits in that it takes about 5 minutes to mow our lawn...!!)

Keith

You could always have a short branch - a shunting plank in the garden would still be bigger than an indoor one?

ATVB to one and all,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

You could always have a short branch - a shunting plank in the garden would still be bigger than an indoor one?

I have to admit CME, that I've never been that bothered by garden railways, it's only seeing gems like Phill's & yours in development, that sparked any interest. I can't think of much better on a day like today than to sit out the garden with a cold one, watching a Hymek hauled express rattling aroundpast me every couple of minutes...!!

Keith

Keith, i am new to garden railways and it is taking time to build. But mine is geting there and you are right there is nothing better than watching trains run round in the sun with a drink. I cant wait for the day when i can do that in my own garden. Soon it will happen .

I am just about to post a few pics of a train in the garden ( Outdoor Railway section ).....................although its not moving it is very inspirational just posing.

Rob

• Like 1

I have to admit CME, that I've never been that bothered by garden railways, it's only seeing gems like Phill's & yours in development, that sparked any interest. I can't think of much better on a day like today than to sit out the garden with a cold one, watching a Hymek hauled express rattling aroundpast me every couple of minutes...!!

Keith

Hi Keith, :)

Thanks for the kind words, its great to have Down Ampney mentioned in the same Post as Phill's lovely layout.

Its what I am aiming for, although a complete loop isnt possible at the moment, so the next best thing is a 'U' - send a train out from the fiddle yard and 5 mins later it arrives on the other side of the garage in the scenic section. With DCC I can pre-prog a DMU and sit by the viaduct and watch it shuttle back and forth (again next best thing). I may be able to create a full loop at a later date :secret:  :mosking:

Kindest,

CME :)

• Like 1

Hi Keith, :)

Thanks for the kind words, its great to have Down Ampney mentioned in the same Post as Phill's lovely layout.

Its what I am aiming for, although a complete loop isnt possible at the moment, so the next best thing is a 'U' - send a train out from the fiddle yard and 5 mins later it arrives on the other side of the garage in the scenic section. With DCC I can pre-prog a DMU and sit by the viaduct and watch it shuttle back and forth (again next best thing). I may be able to create a full loop at a later date :secret:  :mosking:

Kindest,

CME :)

So Martin where are the pictures, Dudley port is starting to have life breathed into it.

• Like 1

Just found this thread and am so glad I did. What a stunning railway and lovely modelling. You are to be congratulated Phill on your efforts. My garden line is steam/diesel transition but I am strongly coming to the conclusion that your route of battery powered diesels is the way to go. (Mine are green though!) I also love the way you have made the models realistic by weathering thus removing the train set look. It is all very inspiring and I am very grateful to you for sharing your model journey with us. I am now plucking up the courage to dirty my HJ locos.

Martin Long

• Like 1

Just found this thread and am so glad I did. What a stunning railway and lovely modelling. You are to be congratulated Phill on your efforts. My garden line is steam/diesel transition but I am strongly coming to the conclusion that your route of battery powered diesels is the way to go. (Mine are green though!) I also love the way you have made the models realistic by weathering thus removing the train set look. It is all very inspiring and I am very grateful to you for sharing your model journey with us. I am now plucking up the courage to dirty my HJ locos.

Martin Long

Hi Martin,

Do you have a a layout thread? .......sounds like an interesting garden line, so far I have 3 radio controlled loco's, but I must admit that  having dipped my toe in the water I do wonder why I ever bothered with track power at all!

Phill  :locomotive:

• Like 1

Phill

No ( or rather not so far). I have found it difficult to post photos on this site! Addittionally I have encountered nothing but trouble with my outside track with movement both of the rails and the timber sub structure. As an example the bridge unit which goes across the garden path last yar was a tight fit in the slot where it lives. This year there is almost a 3/4 inch gap which I conclude has arisen due to the wood drying out whilst it has been stored overwinter in the garage. I have also had issues with track expansion so much so that I am in the process of relaying it in an effort to get a better ruling radius. Ho hum!

I read that you use the Red Arrow equipment. A local frend who has an extensive line uses this and is very happy with it. It is a trifle expensive if you have as I do, several locos to fit up. So far I have not made any move on the control kit but I am watching developments with interest. I do feel that this is the way to go and that DCC is only an expensive step along that way. For diesels the missing link is sound and I am sure this facility will soon be available on battery power systems. The other issue is that HJ diesels are often current hungry though this can be reduced by removing one motor from the drive system.

Anyway I am grateful to you for your postings and the encouragemant that they provide. One day I will be up there with you!

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

I have used  Phenolic Ply & Tanalised timber without issues(although some friends have used fake Phonelic Ply with disastrous results). I am a happy user of the Red Arrow R/C system although I too would like some sound from my loco's at some stage.

I hope you can overcome your photo posting issues (perhaps the Mods can help?) as your line sounds very interesting & I would love to see it.

All the best

Phill 

Martin on watery lane I actually fell quite lucky and got the lift out section made in steel, the bit that stays out al year is stainless and the rest of it mild steel, with phenolic ply on the top. mine has moved but this is due to the frost actually settling the wall so I have to fettle it back in.