Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

Hi Phill

I'm just starting out on a Triang Hymek conversion, I'm on a bit of a budget, and using a PRMRP kit and included in it is 4 white metal castings for the air horns which are rather good, they don't list them as separate items but I'm sure if you ring Pete Besant at PRMRP he'll help you out, ive had quite a few bits and kits from him and he's a great guy to deal with and always happy to help.

Really enjoying your thread, keep up the good work.

Rob

Today I have been cutting up the wife's pan splatter guard  :O .......... :no: no not really, I saved the old one as the mesh is ideal for 7mm grill mesh  :locomotive: 

post-6992-0-74202500-1418761287_thumb.jpg

I have also done the dreaded stainless numbers on the other side...this was not without it's disasters though  :mad: .......while carefully removing the Hymek numbers of the old D7054 the 'D' pinged off into the land where annoying little bits go never to be seen again :O

Why do the etch suppliers give you only four D's.........not much room for error with no spares, anyway fear not after much searching & swearing I finally managed to find the offending 'D'......phew!!! :)

I will leave D7054 on it's side overnight for the varnish around the numbers to dry & if I get chance I will make a start on all those roof panel lifting hooks tomorrow evening.

Cheers Phill :)

• Like 3

I'd like to create the faded BR "Ferret and dartboard" totem, as carried by our old dear departed friend. I had wondered soaking some transfers in dilute bleach, but not had the courage to do so. By the mid 1970s most green diesels had very faded totems - any ideas?

Neil

I would possibly try using a white wash over the transfer?....not tried this yet for the purpose you require, although it did work well on my ex-GWR Toad  on this thread as an overall fading technique :)

My other sugestion would be to try someone like 'Railtech' & see if they could do you some faded transfers?

• RMweb Gold

It was probably pinched whilst there Phill. A lot of hydraulics were dumped here (notice the blue Pullman car in the background too), and I remember seeing them minus several cabside numerals. It was quite easy to bunk, but BR staff were obviously on the lookout for souvenir hunters as I know of several people who recommended not going due to bad experiences! Corporal punishment was rife back then - think "life on Mars"!

Neil

• Like 1

Found this pic of D7054 minus builders plate on that side in service Neil :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/7307822592/in/photolist-aCDRpQ-87GLSW-jJjc7F-eaAKLJ-gSWAsL-9PUf1J-8Rg9g3-c8Lv4f-as7WaQ-4ZS7dz-pTCHqy-kKKhz-4zGmB2-7d1HRG-6Gm2m7-atiYBx-pXsXFK-e9nzSi-e7xe3Y-9PUik1-nAh4LP-8j91gp-7jaTgX-8jcfko-9Z5q2Z

I wonder what the crowd on the bridge are waiting for?

Phill  :locomotive:

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 1

I would possibly try using a white wash over the transfer?....not tried this yet for the purpose you require, although it did work well on my ex-GWR Toad  on this thread as an overall fading technique :)

My other sugestion would be to try someone like 'Railtech' & see if they could do you some faded transfers?

Hi Guys,

I would use a 'filter' such as those used by military modellers, in fact, I have used one of the Lifecolor products which is designed for 'wood/timber' effects and this has worked very well. Filters are very, very subtle.

As Phill says a wash of white may also do the trick, for a subtle approach I would use Gouache and build up over a coat or two.

Not sure about 'bleaching' transfers as they are often pricey and delicate.

Hope that helps.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I remeber seeing your original posts before and I've just caught up with the rest of your posts today. I've only scanned through but I'm following now and plan to read through in more detail later.

I have to say this is one of the best things I've seen on the forum. There are a number of impressive efforts on here but I'll bet most people would gladly trade in a body part for this layout, and your obvious skill.

I have modelled in OO for a while but have always been tempted by O gauge. I am a little put off by the cost but I'm sure if I was a bit more focussed with my spend it would not be too more expensive over OO. I plan to go to the Bristol show in January to suss things out, but do you have any advice for someone planning to start out in O gauge? Thats probably an unfair question with a very long answer, but I'd value your opinion.

By the way, I'm interested in the same period as you.

All the best,

James

Edited by jamest
  • Like 2

Hi James :)

O gauge really doesn't have to be expensive, all the wagons on this thread cost around £15 each & a Triang Big Big Hymek can be had for around £15. I pick most of my projects up S/H at shows ..........most of my track is S/H too. I have used Lima & Triang coaches as a basis for nearly all my parcels & coaching stock, so as you can see my railway has not cost anymore than OO really, it's just a case of doing what I can on a very limited budget over the years :)

I would say go for it!

Feel free to ask all the questions you wish as I am always happy to help you or anyone else to get involved  :locomotive:

All the best 

Phill :)

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

I've never been a fan of garden railways. Having an image of American looking steam locomotives pulling a few 4-wheel plastic box vans around tight curves and over wooden trestle bridges firmly hammered into my mind...
But THIS - some of my favorite diesel loco's hauling realistic rakes at realistic speeds through beautiful gardens is making it extremely difficult for me to take my eyes away from my monitor :O 

You have well and truly converted me!
Now, if you will excuse me, i must get back to designing my terminus and fiddle yard inside my imaginary garden shed!

Will be following this thread and looking forward to seeing more.
Mike.

(...I wonder if asking for an 0 gauge class 37 and six MK1 coaches is too much this year...)

• Like 2

Nothing too spectacular to report today, I have managed to make up some lifting hooks though & glue them in place.........

attachicon.gifD7054LHKS.jpg

The plan is now to get some paint on before the handrails are made & fitted :)

Hi Phill,

As always, excellent work, when I was going to do the lifting hooks on my Tri-Ang Hymek (still here awaiting the go-ahead as a mate of mine has bought it and would like me to help him build it - he's the one delaying proceedings, honest :yes: ), I was pointed towards the USA for the hooks, but thought that small split pins may do the job - what did you use in this instance?

Thanks, with the season's greetings,

CME

Hi,

I remeber seeing your original posts before and I've just caught up with the rest of your posts today. I've only scanned through but I'm following now and plan to read through in more detail later.

I have to say this is one of the best things I've seen on the forum. There are a number of impressive efforts on here but I'll bet most people would gladly trade in a body part for this layout, and your obvious skill.

I have modelled in OO for a while but have always been tempted by O gauge. I am a little put off by the cost but I'm sure if I was a bit more focussed with my spend it would not be too more expensive over OO. I plan to go to the Bristol show in January to suss things out, but do you have any advice for someone planning to start out in O gauge? Thats probably an unfair question with a very long answer, but I'd value your opinion.

By the way, I'm interested in the same period as you.

All the best,

James

Hi James,

As Phill said, it doesnt have to be expensive - Marc Smith of this parish has an equation which basically says that the smaller the scale the more stock and buildings one tends to have in a given space etc. So less is often more on 7mm. More time maybe needed to build things, yet that makes hobby time even more cost effective and enjoyable (most of the time :) ). Look under traders' tables at shows that's where old bits and bobs of Lima and Tri-Ang can often be found, join the GOG and get along to a few of the smaller shows as there are often second-hand stalls there with lots of goodies.

Bristol is a great show to learn about O gauge as there are traders, layouts and lots of demonstrators  (lots of professional modellers) too.

Like Phill, I am on a budget, Phill's layout, along with my late pen-pal Jack Ray et al inspired me to take the plunge.

Good luck with it all!

ATVB

CME

Hi James 

O gauge really doesn't have to be expensive, all the wagons on this thread cost around £15 each & a Triang Big Big Hymek can be had for around £15. I pick most of my projects up S/H at shows ..........most of my track is S/H too. I have used Lima & Triang coaches as a basis for nearly all my parcels & coaching stock, so as you can see my railway has not cost anymore than OO really, it's just a case of doing what I can on a very limited budget over the years 

I would say go for it!

Feel free to ask all the questions you wish as I am always happy to help you or anyone else to get involved  

All the best 

+1 :yes:  :imsohappy:

I will help if I can too.

I've never been a fan of garden railways. Having an image of American looking steam locomotives pulling a few 4-wheel plastic box vans around tight curves and over wooden trestle bridges firmly hammered into my mind...

But THIS - some of my favorite diesel loco's hauling realistic rakes at realistic speeds through beautiful gardens is making it extremely difficult for me to take my eyes away from my monitor :O

Now, if you will excuse me, i must get back to designing my terminus and fiddle yard inside my imaginary garden shed!

Mike.

(...I wonder if asking for an 0 gauge class 37 and six MK1 coaches is too much this year...)

I know what you mean - we also model SM32 and whilst father likes the 'restored' engine look, we weather most of the stock, yet we like to call it 'caricature modelling' (he loathes 'plasticy' NG trains in the garden too, being an Aries he can be quite vocal about it too :whistle:  :derisive: ).

Jack Ray and Rev Peter Denny inspired me as they seemed to have the right approach to garden-railways - try and get hold of a copy of a Lifetime with O Gauge - Crewchester and Others by Jack Ray - true these guys were steam buffs, yet the inspiration is undeniable. Phill's line (and modelling) is one of the big drivers for me being 'on-line' as our generation takes up the challenge (with heavy oil locos and B&G stock etc in the garden). Phill's approach to modelling for a large Garden railway is perfect and very inspiring.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifetime-Gauge-Crewchester-Others/dp/0906899540

All I can say is; come on in the water's fine!

ATVB

CME

Mike.

I know what you mean Mike I too loathe those garden railways too, but there is a long tradition of proper standard gauge railway running realistically outdoors  :tomato:  

Phill  :good: 

• Like 1

I know what you mean Mike I too loathe those garden railways too, but there is a long tradition of proper standard gauge railway running realistically outdoors  :tomato:  

I've spent most of the morning searching the web for garden railways and have seen some wonderful sights, even 00 - which i grew up with - in the garden and must say i wouldn't mind giving it a go. I'm not quite sure where i got the idea of prices for 0 gauge from, thinking four figure numbers, really not as expensive as i've always thought. A small steam loco costing close to the same as a 00 loco. Maybe i've been looking at a larger scale in the past. :dontknow:

Even after dragging my tiny N gauge layout into the garden to work on it and seeing it for the first time in natural light and sunshine i think i've developed a greater respect for the outdoor layouts.

All i can think of now is an 0 gauge 37 split headcode in large logo blue with working lights, sound and exhaust roaring around the garden :mosking:

• Like 2

Agreed, many, many inspirational lines.

Whilst I own and have fettled the likes of LGB wagonry (they are all weathered and/or fettled), their rise, demise and rise (again) has meant that many a garden railway has them along with right-angle radii etc. I make no value judgements, each to their own, yet I cant help but think that as many as have been sold, has put many a modeller off from going outdoors.

When I looked into garden railways years back, all certain expert retailers wanted to sell me was LGB type stock (they were quite aggressive about it!), they sneered at O gauge in the garden, but you should have seen their faces when I said that I had considered '00' in the garden as I wanted to model the standard gauge!

I would love - sorry to harp on about it again - to see your line in print Phill as it would, I am sure, inspire an even wider audience.

Hi CME,

The lifting hooks on D7054 are the split pin size you get with 3 links, these are cut in half 2/3's round the loop & then squeezed up to a smaller diameter round a suitable former.

Thanks Phill, a great idea, perfectly executed!

• Like 1

All i can think of now is an 0 gauge 37 split headcode in large logo blue with working lights, sound and exhaust roaring around the garden :mosking:

Like mine....it needs more track laying though (and the sound and possibly exhaust added - dependant on if the latter gums the workings up or not) :tease:  :lol:  :danced:

That's the one! The LGB stock is the very image i've had of garden railways all these years. Nothing against it, of course. I'm sure many out there like it, it's just not to my taste.

Something else i would be interested at looking into is radio control. I've had a few RC cars/trucks years back and absolutely love RC boats. What better way to combine the two hobbies than with RC trains?! :locomotive:

D7054 & 807 Caradoc have been back inn the works this afternoon :)

D7054 has been touched up with Loco Green, Rail Grey & Silver to bring her back to ex-works, although she will be extensively weathered when complete... 

post-6992-0-30786900-1419004383_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile 807 Caradoc has been undergoing body repairs & modifications to fit her new radio controlled chassis along with sisters 824 & 832. This is now complete on 824 & 807 so I have been making a start on re-painting the effected areas...

post-6992-0-63963800-1419004983_thumb.jpg

Cheers Phill  :locomotive:

• Like 7

That's the one! The LGB stock is the very image i've had of garden railways all these years. Nothing against it, of course. I'm sure many out there like it, it's just not to my taste.

Something else i would be interested at looking into is radio control. I've had a few RC cars/trucks years back and absolutely love RC boats. What better way to combine the two hobbies than with RC trains?! :locomotive:

Likewise!

Yesterday evening I managed to remove the PRMRP horns from the Triang Hymek  & fitted them with a little modification  to the Heljan........

post-6992-0-23202200-1419073116_thumb.jpg

I have also decided to make use of the redundant Triang Hymek body as a withdrawn loco which can be on it's way to a local disposal site. This will mean I can have some fun with weathering giving the loco that long stored & partially cannibalized look.........anyone have any ideas for a suitable running number? :)

I have already made a start on fading the paintwork.....

post-6992-0-60676700-1419073767_thumb.jpg

Cheers Phill  :locomotive:

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Feel free to ask all the questions you wish as I am always happy to help you or anyone else to get involved

I will help if I can too.

Hi again,

Thanks for the advice - I'm definitely going to the show now! I've already looked into the GOG and was hoping to speak to them at the show with a view to joining.

I plan to start small and build up from there - I do have a bit of OO stock and some of it could be trimmed to fund other projects - but I'll definitely keep most of it, you never know! I'm still relatively young (although my kids wouldn't agree) so I hopefully have time to build a collection.

I must admit I was not expecting those second hand prices - thats better than OO! But I suppose there is a bigger market for OO second hand stuff. I was keeping an eye on the 08 that Dapol plan to release and planned some sort of inglenook arrangement that allowed me to build, bodge or buy my wagons as I go. Its funny you should mention the 35 though - I really like those and these 'smaller' diesels are what really interest me.

I'm still learning about the 'real' railway - the interesting side of the Barnstaple branch line disappeared before my interest was sparked in railways. I certainly don't know enough about engines and their historical details and 'rivet' positions. But my modelling skills are ok and growing and I really like the detail levels you can get to with O gauge. I'm not afraid of a challenge and I realise you've got to make a few mistakes along the way to your modelling standard.

And best of all this forum is a great way to get advice and inspiration - thanks for the kind offers of help.

Thanks again, and have a good Xmas,

James

Edited by jamest
  • Like 3