Trestles for portable layout

I am currently in the process of redesigning Fal Vale because the original plans are too big for the space available.  

In the meantime I have decided to work on the trestle supports as these wont need to change whatever design I end up with.

Does anyone have typical dimensions that they use / would recommend to be used to save me doing a hit and miss approach to get the height right for a typical exhibition layout.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have typical dimensions that they use / would recommend to be used to save me doing a hit and miss approach to get the height right for a typical exhibition layout.

Thanks in advance.

Our Club layout is around 42", I am using between 39" and 40" on my stuff, mainly because of what's available to use, (I'm using a fold-up ladder as a base). On top of this you then have the board construction, often between 2" and 4".

Most ready made trestles tend to be around this (40") height and this is also around the average for exhibitions, the new Modular Standard is 45" to rail height.

It's as much about operator comfort as anything, if you are particularly tall you might want to lift the level a bit or lower it if short, after a couple of days leaning over a layout you tend to notice, it's worth experimenting a bit, the Public are only looking at it for a short while, you have to live with it for a bit longer.

• RMweb Gold

To echo Peter's comments. It is a very personal thing. At our club we use between 42" and 48" to track height. My own layout is 48". In my own opinion anything less than 42" gives too much of a birds eye view, but others may disagree.

Think about whether you want to operate it sitting down or standing up, or a bit of both.  No good building a layout at 48" high for seated operation if your eyeline is lower than the baseboard!  My layout is at 38" which allows me a good side view when seated and is comfortable to run when standing.

Edit for typo

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

If I may resurrect this topic for a brief question: how far apart do you place the trestles? 

I realise this may depend on weight and board thickness but is there a rule of thumb to bear in mind here?

I'm going to be buying some for Llangollen in OO which is 15' long by 2' wide, and built from 6mm ply on a 2"x1" frame and would appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks

David

I've always used 4ft boards and put a something - whether trestles or a set of legs covering both sides under a board joint and of course one at each "end" so on a 16ft layout made out of 4 x 4ft boards that would be 5 sets.

Not sure if that helps at all - I think, like many other aspects of layout building, there are too many variable factors for there to be one single right answer that suits everyone.

• RMweb Premium

I've always used 4ft boards and put a something - whether trestles or a set of legs covering both sides under a board joint and of course one at each "end" so on a 16ft layout made out of 4 x 4ft boards that would be 5 sets.

Not sure if that helps at all - I think, like many other aspects of layout building, there are too many variable factors for there to be one single right answer that suits everyone.

Yes I was thinking of maybe 4 - one at each end and every 5' in between, but I can see I may need to revise that; there's only two baseboard joins at 6' and 5' so maybe another one to space them out might be better...

Thanks for the input

David

I am currently in the process of redesigning Fal Vale because the original plans are too big for the space available.  

In the meantime I have decided to work on the trestle supports as these wont need to change whatever design I end up with.

Thanks in advance.

I would ask you the simple question, "How good are the muscles in the small of your back?". If you have a layout that is too low you will suffer. There have been in the past a line of thought which said layouts should be almost at ground level but look after your health it's more important.

To be positive a height of 3ft 6ins as always suited me. I would advise you to try and make all support points the same so as your trestles will be all the same. No searching for a particular one, the first to hand will do.

Incidently, I have used what your great grandmother would have used to dry washing on, "clothes horses" for my supports across two baseboard joints. 

post-276-0-07998800-1422012895.jpg

Archived