Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Faberge made model railway?

I am not much for bling, but my wife certainly is; as a result she watched the programme about the extravagant tastes of despots as catered for by Faberge. Realising that I would be intrigued by the model railway items she drew that element of the prog to my attention.

Well I never knew that. I'd guess the scale at circa 1:300, and although the prog didn't say so it had a clockwork mechanism. (There doesn't appear to be any track with it, perhaps the Faberge Track-pack egg is one of the lost ones?) A little googling - Faberge Trans Siberian is a suitable search term - turns up useful images. Unless they really did have a gold plated exterior train ( and that's not wholly outwith the bounds of Imperial excess) that appears to be the only immediately unrealistic aspect of the model; although I cannot say I am familiar with the prototype.

Anyone here know more?

I rather liked this. "The craftsman placed a complex mechanism inside the locomotive so that the miniature train could be set in motion by winding the mechanism with a tiny gold key." or as we know it, clockwork. However, a working clockwork loco smaller than Z scale* is pretty good going and, though Fabergé does indeed seem to have omitted to supply any track, the train itself appears to be quite a detailed scale model though the loco and its tender appear to be a single object but I don't think too many of Hornby's 0 gauge clockwork locos were made of platinum and gold with diamonds for headlights.

Meanwhile most of Russia's people, only a generation after serfdom, lived in poverty !!

*Assuming the coaches were about 60 foot long and the loco of similar length the train modelled would have been about 360 ft long making the 16 inch long model about 1:270th scale.

When are they bringing out their next model!?! :jester: :jester:

Seriously, fascinating stuff showing what was technically possible even at that date.

There are reproductions of the egg on sale but if you look at the train it's incredibly crude in comparison- just a silver casting- Fabergé's looks like it might even have had working valve gear (though I don't suppose the Kremlin Museum would allow an RMWeb delegation to wind it up to find out!!)

• RMweb Premium

I can't compete with faberge's craftsmanship, which is fabulous,  but we did have a bridge on Long Preston that was called Faberge bridge.  I'd made a master of the handrail stanchions on an underbridge and my jeweller cousin, suggested a firm to do lost wax xastings.   They eventually arrived slightly bent and looking as if they were made of white metal.   I rang them and asked what metal it was as I wanted to straighten them.    The reply went like this. "There's no problem, we hadn't any brass in the workshop so we used stirling silver".   I resisted the temptation to have the only hallmarked layout on the exhibition circuit , but from that day forward the bridge was always know to the team as faberge bridge.  It's now on permanent display in the Long Preston village hall.

Jamie

...my jeweller cousin, suggested a firm to do lost wax castings.   They eventually arrived slightly bent and looking as if they were made of white metal.   I rang them and asked what metal it was as I wanted to straighten them.    The reply went like this. "There's no problem, we hadn't any brass in the workshop so we used sterling silver"...  

They sound highly recommendable. Do you suppose their prices are reasonable for the 'gold', platinum' and 'osmium' range of cast to shape ballast weights that would be really useful on occasions to get awkward prototypes well balanced?

• RMweb Premium

They sound highly recommendable. Do you suppose their prices are reasonable for the 'gold', platinum' and 'osmium' range of cast to shape ballast weights that would be really useful on occasions to get awkward prototypes well balanced?

As a matter of interest the cost differential for the 24 stanchions between Silver and bras was only £1.  So if you feel like having a hallmarked gold signal weight feel free to copy the idea.   The shame about the stanchions is that they looked lovely in Silver but I had to dirty them and cover them in grey paint.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived