St Pirran modern day Cornwall.

Rhys Underwood

This is me and my dad's layout, St Pirran. The layout is 19 foot x 9 foot and is set somewhere in Cornwall. The station has both a mainline and a branchline with a loop on the branchline inside the station area. Just out side the station is two sidings that are used hold locos and wagons. There is also a goods loop that runs from the north end of the fiddle yard. Behind were I sit is the 10 road fiddle yard and the branch line terminus whitch I intend to extend in the future. In the left hand corner of the fiddle yard is a engine shed that is used to house our collection of steam locomotives. All the woodwork has bone done along with track, cork and electrics. I can't upload any photos due to the 1MB upload limit, so they will have to come later. Edit, photos of the station and approach now added.

post-20140-0-65893100-1412880632_thumb.jpg

post-20140-0-10847800-1412880646_thumb.jpg

Hi all, this post is flowing on from the intro with some photos of the engine shed, fiddle yard and branch line station I talked about. One good thing about the layout is that it can double up as being set in the Bristol or South Wales area. This is because of the large collection modern stock I have. I can easily switch between them when I want to. There are two photos showing this as well. Enjoy.

post-20140-0-58624500-1413045226_thumb.jpg

post-20140-0-80587500-1413045237_thumb.jpg

post-20140-0-93569300-1413045291_thumb.jpg

post-20140-0-09882200-1413045313_thumb.jpg

Hi all, last night I finished a loco stabling point on the layout. It's loosely based on the stabling point that was Newport station before platform 4 was rebuilt. It can hold up to 5 or 6 loco's on it and we also have the loop beside it that can hold a loco. I've still have to put cork under it but I'm running low on the stuff so it will have to wait.

post-20140-0-31072400-1413203960_thumb.jpg

post-20140-0-53017100-1413203970_thumb.jpg

post-20140-0-03237200-1413203981_thumb.jpg

post-20140-0-06915300-1413203994_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I hope to do one this side of Christmas if not around boxing day. There has been a change in the layout sine the last update. The layout is running in its preserved mode at the moment. But a shift back to modern is always just around the corner with the amount of stock I have.   

Hi all, this is a very quick update on the layout. I'm with at the moment so I'll do it now. The major change is the stabling point and bay platform are no more. I have put this side back to how it was before with a goods shed. The main reson for this is that stabling point was hit and miss one day it would be fine and the next it would not want to know. With the removel of the bay platform the branch also went but the board it ran to still remains. I am still plaining the extension to it but I'm looking to build a long rock TMD type depot to keep my two HST's and sleeper on. On the loco front my 50 has returned and I have also gained another 66 in the form of 66050 from Lord and Butler and I have also gains another 60 from them. The coal train that is pictured has also gone from 5 to 8 wagons one I was given but the other two are for Christmas. As I said the layout is running in its preserved stae at the moment. But the layout has moved to the South Wales area when in modern stae and I will change the topic name to show this but it is still St Prrian when in preserved stae. As I said the layout can change when ever I want because of the stock so with this mind I do hope give a bit of verity to the topic. Also I have done a bit of scenery to the layout. This being the farm, around the end of the down platform and by the line. I shall show all of this in photo form next week. So don't worry I haven't given up!

• 1 month later...

Yes there is! One update is that the station is no more. I had noticed there was a rather large drop as trains came in to the platform. We had packed this at first with 3 layers of cork, but it still was noticeable. So yesterday I removed all the track work and platform to find that one board was ever so slightly higher than the other. My dad and I have corrected it and we just need to put the screws back in to hold them. Locomotive wise there are some members of both the steam and diesel fleet. I shall get some pictures and put theme today. Now that the station has been removed we are looking and building a new one. Depending were I get with it I will also put some pictures up of that to.

So St Pirran has had a few changes sine the last update. The first change has come with the station being removed from it location and moved to left hand of the attic. The new platform can take a 3 car DMU happily but the 5 car HSTs are of curse to long. This is not going to be much of a problem as HSTs aren't going to be calling there all the time. On the other end of the layout another station has been built. This station to be known as St Pirran Holiday Park. A cheesy name I know but the stations main job is to serve the Holiday camp that will be built behind it. I'm not 100% sure what to do with the camp yet. I had only planed to model the top half of it with the rear of the clubhouse facing the line, but, now that the loop has been removed from the top end I am tempted to move the engine shed up there and model more of the camp. The camp will be based loosely on the John Fowler camp in St Ives. Moving on to where the old station was, there is now a long siding I plan to make this a loop so China Clay trains can be parked to units and HSTs by. On the same board I plan to put a pub in the corner by the roof beam with a bear garden etc. The road will run along all of the boards through a traffic light controlled tunnel by the roof beam. So this sums up what been happening. If I have trouble with the photos they will follow later.         

So with the help of Xerces Fobe2 of the parish in the form of photo resizing I can post some of the photos. With the help of photoshop and Xerces you can see what it would look like with a road in place in steed of bare board. By doing this it gives me and you an idea of what it should look like when its finished. Thanks again to Xerces for the help.

post-20140-0-61386500-1423169878.jpeg

post-20140-0-11423700-1423169902.jpeg

Archived