Birkenhead to Chester Line- Bache to Chester (junction) section

Siphon208

Hi Does anyone have any information about the section of this line from what is now Bache, into the area before Chester station (around the Alsthom shed), and how it has been restructured over the years? My late aunt had a flat in a tower block overlooking the area, and it was amazing the amount of traffic that Chester station generated.

For instance, just before the line went under the old CLC bridge, I'm pretty sure there was an old factory there, with a small siding, that once had something to do with the railway? There are new houses on the site now. Any info gratefully received!

• 1 month later...

my grand parents had a house one stret up from the Bache so i will watch this with interest, unfortunately i was young and remember more about the cakes we could buy in the shop just by the bridge.

Have done some digging, about this site- it belonged to a company called Hirst and Brook, I think they made electrical switchgear- Haven't got any pictures yet, but I'll keep looking!

• RMweb Premium

Had a quick look at a 1947 OS 6-inch map, which seems to show the connections to the turntable.

A view on a 1:2500 map might be better, but Old-Maps has gone all fancy and I couldn't get it to work on my tablet.

post-1060-0-02781500-1417430045.jpg

(I take it the lines shown as +++++++++++ are single tracks and those like a line of boxes are double track)

Mornin' all,

There are some lovely DMU/station images of that line on this site

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/12639432535/in/set-72157634859506815

The locations may not match exactly but all useful information

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Mornin' all,

There are some lovely DMU/station images of that line on this site

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/12639432535/in/set-72157634859506815

The locations may not match exactly but all useful information

Dave

those pics, as nice as they are, are from the other line through chester (mickle trafford to dee marsh via northgate), i especially like the sealand picture 

Archived