Bachmann Set L/L 37 418 fitted with Loksound SELECT

tractor_37260

My Bachmann "Highlander" set arrived safely earlier today.

I'm very pleased overall with it. However, I was surprised to find the loco is fitted with a 21pin Loksound Select not a V4.  The sound/control is very similar to a Lok 4 fitted Bachmann 37, BUT it would appear that the Loksound Select does not allow for the sound file to be re-programmed with a reblow etc. 

I'm sure those more knowledgeable will come along and advise/confirm this.

A point worth considering prior to purchasing this set.

It also raises the question, will future sound fitted Bachmann locos also come fitted with a possibly (un-reblowable) Select ? especially when you take into consideration the latest RRP of forthcoming sound fitted locos.

The Select appears to be cheaper to purchase new than a Loksound 4, but it's mainly sold/used in the USA.

That's interesting, tractor. Are the class 37 sounds the same as their previous releases?

Compared with an earlier Bach 37 417 Highland Region fitted with a Lok 4, the overall sound/s appear more or less identical. There are however differences in the F key layout/options. The (37 418) Select fitted version does not have "notching" but it does have a priming pump on F5.

F Key list for the latest Loksound SELECT fitted to L/L 37 418

F0 - lights

F1 - Sound on/off

F2 - Horn 1 playable

F3 - Horn 2

F4 - Brake Dump

F5 - Triple Pump/Primer

F6 - Coupling

F7 - Cab lights

F8 - Blank

F9 - Flange Squeal

F10 - Spirax valves