O gauge class 15

zoro

Plastikard round a Lego shell - how did you do that. Any photos of the inside.

Paul R

Unfortunately, this is the only photo I have of the underside.

post-8805-0-49248400-1413023012_thumb.jpg

Basically make the lego shell smaller than the overall model, and laminate your outer "skins" to it. Lego takes mekpack very well. If you are a little clever with the lego you can obviously make bays for the motor etc to fit in. It makes for a very strong model, and, almost certainly square model.

As you can see from the picture, attaching the bogies using lego turn tables also makes for fast and easy maintenance.

By coincidence, a standard 4 x 2 lego block makes a perfect track guage ( in O guage ). I also use it to make buildings around, and it is brilliant for making jigs for gluing square corners etc. It will even take a soldering iron to a certain extent.

EDIT:- You can also use it to locate buildings etc to base boards with complete accuracy. Just glue a Lego locating piece to the base board, and another to the object to be located.

Stunning job, it makes all the work I put into finishing an 'El Crappo' kit worthless.

Your scratch-build using Lego as a base looks absolutely brilliant, I should have gone down that road instead, if I could have achieved a similar standard, and it would probably have taken less time!

Lovely model, captures the prototype beautifully. I remember these machines working out of 34G and always preferred their look to the more successful EE machines. One of these would look good on Dock Green!

Chaz

Can't be skilled enough with lego and plasticard but here is a couple produced by more conventional means involving  Steve Beatties kits as a basis, both with a solitary class 16 will be at Colchester MRC on the 26th October.

Terry

post-5754-0-57000700-1413203969_thumb.jpg

post-5754-0-75635300-1413203998.jpg

Archived