Hornby R2183A Class 2P Locomotive

Hi

I am looking at buying this loco Hornby R2183A Class 2P Locomotive,but after i looked at the service sheet it look's like the loco is tender drive?.

Did Hornby do a loco drive one of this loco?,and can any one tell me which one it was.please.

Thanks 

Darren01

Hi Darren

Hornby R3028 is a loco drive BR version.  I think the reviews have been rather mixed because it has rubber tyres on the driving wheels.  The earlier Hornby versions are tender drive and based on an old model issued under the Mainline label.  The tender drive mechanism used for the original Mainline model was almost identical with the one used by Airfix for their 4F suggesting that the 2P perhaps also owes its origin to Airfix.- 1977ish?

Regards

Ray

Hi Darren

Hornby R3028 is a loco drive BR version.  I think the reviews have been rather mixed because it has rubber tyres on the driving wheels.  The earlier Hornby versions are tender drive and based on an old model issued under the Mainline label.  The tender drive mechanism used for the original Mainline model was almost identical with the one used by Airfix for their 4F suggesting that the 2P perhaps also owes its origin to Airfix.- 1977ish?

Regards

Ray

Ray is right in that the origins of the 2P tender drive are Airfix, and it takes exactly the same size traction tyres as the Airfix 4F.  However, the 2P motor is considerably smoother and quieter than the older Airfix models - but it is still tender drive, so the newer loco drive would be preferable.  I have a tender drive 2P, and it is the best running loco of my tender drive ones.

• 1 year later...

Got a question about this locomotive's livery.  I can't find any photos on the web of a 2P with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' written on the side that has lining.  Would this locomotive have carried this livery or do I need to remove the lining?

Edit: Couldn't find one, now I have one.  Ignore this

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I am looking at buying this loco Hornby R2183A Class 2P Locomotive,but after i looked at the service sheet it look's like the loco is tender drive?.

Did Hornby do a loco drive one of this loco?,and can any one tell me which one it was.please.

Thanks 

Darren01

The most recent version of the loco drive 2P (R.3315, BR late crest) is currently obtainable new in Hatton's "bargains" section for a very reasonable £61.

Mine runs very nicely!

They also have R3316 in S&DJR Prussian blue for the same price.

John

Ray is right in that the origins of the 2P tender drive are Airfix, and it takes exactly the same size traction tyres as the Airfix 4F.  However, the 2P motor is considerably smoother and quieter than the older Airfix models - but it is still tender drive, so the newer loco drive would be preferable.  I have a tender drive 2P, and it is the best running loco of my tender drive ones.

I agree. The Hornby 2P while retaining the Airfix tender drive design is a much better runner than it's predecessor. Just as an aside though, the tender drive is 6 wheel drive and may have better haulage power that the loco drive one. Don't let the tender drive put you off. They run very well and both Roco and Fleischmann have used them for years - there's nothing wrong with either.

Got a question about this locomotive's livery.  I can't find any photos on the web of a 2P with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' written on the side that has lining.  Would this locomotive have carried this livery or do I need to remove the lining?

Some ex-LMS  2Ps did have the early (1948-49) BR black lined (officially "Mixed Traffic/Secondary Passenger") livery with "BRITISH RAILWAYS" in Gill Sans Font but I reckon the lettering size was not as large as on that Hornby Model. 

Ian

Many, if not all, carried that livery in early BR years. the first of the class 563 was photographed on the S&DJR by G.F.Heiron in that livery in 1953.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dan700/9320420979/in/photolist-edCchn-deqegu-fHrAY9-deqfFR-e4pkLX-deqejd-jPr898-gE83YQ-iLcFbP-fcBArr-pxMkLt-q1A84U-ySiFYc-e4puFM-e4uWV1-a6fxE9-roaj9i-B3xkLK-FWVJ7V-GVT5cc-EmzYf9-FxticU-AaCpjz-FDbqiZ-GcNpVG-Go9Nwj-zyjmUp-Ggryzd-yeFXNk-jFgkzB-bNvxxc-zY5yVe-zVXWUm-btLSAh-AWKxQh-CskESU-EMxkxc-CCzM6F-xMFQdm-xkasRt-AoimYv-BszaVt-tbv6Ai-Ev7tUc-DxJ2YX-ygiBPw-tmmKi5-GrzEfS-yRw9zK-yjq5N1

Archived