Small 4'x2' layout - modern image - no turnouts but working signals

hsthero

I have been wanting to build my first layout for some time. My original thoughts on a layout was for a continuous run so I have been collecting mainline stock, I currently have several HST sets with Mk3 coaches, Voyagers, Diesel locomotives, bogie wagons and even a Midland Blue Pullman but no layout to run them on.

Due to space restrictions in my hobbies room I have abandoned plans for a continuous run layout and I have decided to build a simple 00 gauge end to end layout using up some base boards I built last year. The intention being a layout to learn railway modelling skills and for admiring and photographing my fleet of rolling stock.

Here is a drawing of the 4'x2' scenic board which includes half of a through station, a short length of electrified mainline and a siding. I intend to have working LED signals but I am not sure yet where these will be placed. The drawing shows preliminary signal locations with those I am not sure about marked with a question mark.

My layout 1

As far a operating this layout with unprotypical short trains (ie front and rear HST power cars and two coaches, four car Voyagers etc) they would enter the scenic area from the cassette fiddle yards, slow to a red signal, stop, wait for a green or yellow aspect and move off scene. I have some untested ideas which could make the signals automatically change aspect by using track detection and timers.

I am interested to hear what you think about a layout like this without turnouts, would a station or mainline crossover add interest and if so where

would it be located and would it effect signal placement?

Not yet found how to make posted images large so double click image to see it larger.

Colin

You could make it a terminus - this way the power car and two coaches of the HST would enter the scene.  You could have four car through EMUs.  This way you would only have signals on the right hand side for the through trains on the electrified lines.

Thanks for your comments Jon. I have decided to proceed with the station and mainline tracks as per my plan. I have had a change of mind regarding the fiddle yards and will make a traverser at each end, and have obtained some ball bearing drawer slides for this purpose. I can always add crossovers in the scenic section before ballasting the tracks if I need them.

As for signalling the layout I'll post a specific question in the signal forum sub-section.

Colin

Archived