Left or right

AMJ

In various places in Europe different countries run on either left or right on double tracks.

At Aachen trains from Brussels switch from left to right.

On a trip from Paris to Mulhouse there is a flyover.

• RMweb Gold

Sweden drive on the left

Not since about 1965!

I remember being there in 1975. Some of the older buses in country areas were still right-hand drive so passengers had to get on and off in the middle of the road. Not a very safe arrangement!

• RMweb Premium

Most of the former Austro-Hungarian empire use left hand running. This is a legacy of when this was the rule on public roads. The change to the roads was made when Hitler annexed/invaded those countrys in the late thirties. The Alsace-Loraine lines were mostly built when the area was under German control from 1870 hence the right hand running.

Not since about 1965!

I remember being there in 1975. Some of the older buses in country areas were still right-hand drive so passengers had to get on and off in the middle of the road. Not a very safe arrangement!

Later than that! I drove there in my RHD Ford Zodiac from Gothenburg to Stockholm switching over at the border from right to left of the road.

Incidentally, US trains run on the right!

Brian.

Incidentally, US trains run on the right!

Not everywhere, and not always. The most famous example was the Chicago and North Western, which ran left-handed. Nobody seems absolutely sure why, but the explanation I've seen most often involves the location of existing stations when its mainline was doubled. I believe Union Pacific still run left-handed in ex-C&NW areas.

There was also left-handed running on significant parts (several hundred miles) of the Santa Fe mainline across New Mexico, Arizona and California.That happened because, when the line was doubled, the new line, with easier eastbound grades, was built to the north of the existing line. However, with tracks now signalled for bi-directional running, it means either track can be used in either direction (obviously!), so there is now no need to enforce left-hand running in these areas.

Bi-directional signalling on other lines also means that trains can now be seen running left-handed in areas where they had previously always run on the right.

(Edit - I should sort out eastbound and westbound!)

• RMweb Gold

Sweden changed the side of the road you drive on from left to right on 3rd September 1967, the railways stayed on the left.

Patrick

I knew that it was about then because I remember it happening while I was at boarding school and listening to the radio reports.

• RMweb Gold

Not everywhere, and not always. The most famous example was the Chicago and North Western, which ran left-handed. Nobody seems absolutely sure why, but the explanation I've seen most often involves the location of existing stations when its mainline was doubled. I believe Union Pacific still run left-handed in ex-C&NW areas.

There was also left-handed running on significant parts (several hundred miles) of the Santa Fe mainline across New Mexico, Arizona and California.That happened because, when the line was doubled, the new line, with easier eastbound grades, was built to the north of the existing line. However, with tracks now signalled for bi-directional running, it means either track can be used in either direction (obviously!), so there is now no need to enforce left-hand running in these areas.

Bi-directional signalling on other lines also means that trains can now be seen running left-handed in areas where they had previously always run on the right.

Last weekend some one asked why we were running on the worng side on Santa Barbara till I mentioned that the lines are bi directional (really a very long passing loop).

Some times the platform furthest from the station building gets used even if nothing is on the other line.

Of course, your are right!  C & NW was the odd one and ran on the right and its been said that this was because of financing by British banking interests. 

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been told that Luxemburg has some left and some right, lines are bidirectionally signalled but most is right hand running (including to Germany and the Lorraine region of France) with left hand running on lines to Belgium only. Old signals were on the 'outside' but new signals are all on the right, even on lines with left hand running.

Spain - some lines were built by British contractors, some by German: those that were built by the British are left had running, those by the Germans right hand. I don't know which was which, though. My recollection is that Madrid - Seville was on the left.

Spain - some lines were built by British contractors, some by German: those that were built by the British are left had running, those by the Germans right hand. I don't know which was which, though. My recollection is that Madrid - Seville was on the left.

Didn't the same thing happen in Argentina with the British influence on the railways?

Brian.

Archived