33 snowploughs - how to fit?

vac_basher

There are two holes in the back of the bufferbeam that the "pointy-out bits" (don't know the technical name!) at the top of the snowplough fit into. They need to be glued into them. I have done several of mine; they stay in place well and the bufferbeam pipework can be fitted in place easily enough. I have used superglue; don't get any on the body paintwork though!

In my case i cut off the NEM-shafts for easier access. I've cut the pointy-out bits slightly for fitting easier in the holes. It was glued with normal liquid plastic glue.

Werner

With Heljan detailing components I have found that I have had to either (i) cut off the pointy-out bits to basically make them half the width e.g. for hoses; or (ii) cut the pointy-out bits off completely e.g. for the route discs.

With the snow ploughs I tend to use superglue as I figure there is the possibility of stronger forces ...

am I right in thinking that on the prototype, the ploughs are attached to the bogie rather than the buffer beam?

The two side ploughs were on the bogie, bolted to the guard irons if I remember correctly. The centre section hung from brackets on the bufferbeam.

Chris

• 1 month later...

The two side ploughs were on the bogie, bolted to the guard irons if I remember correctly. The centre section hung from brackets on the bufferbeam.

Chris

Although this thread is over a year old, I do have the same issue with my Heljan Class 26. The snow ploughs provided are identical to the Class 33 prows, only the recessions at the back of the buffer beams are missing. My ploughs also don´t fit over the NEM coupler pocket. As I intend to install Kadee couplers, I need to keep the ploughs clear of them. I will cut down the centre section to a mere "bridge between the side ploughs and intend to glue this to the coupler pocket. Has anyone tried this?

Although this thread is over a year old

:blink: Doesn't the time fly!

Still, I believe we're almost in April 2010, so that makes this topic nearly 2 months old - phew! If the year went by in 2 months we wouldn't be able to accomplish much in our lifetimes ;) :P

The post man brought the Kadee couplers I had ordered about a week ago, so I could start my attempt of fitting the snow ploughs to my Heljan Class 26. It was one of those file and fit jobs, that took a little more than 2 hours to accomplish. The ploughs are now glued to the NEM coupler pocket and swivel with the bogies.

Here are some pictures:

P1020068.jpg

P1020067.jpg

43110. That cl. 26 is awesome! smile.gif

Thank you. I cannot take all the credit. I did all the detailing work but weathering was done by a good friend, fellow club member and RM web member DaveC46026. As you can see I was more than happy when I saw the final product.rolleyes.gif

As you can see I was more than happy when I saw the final product

I bet you were! That's smashing!!

I'll upload some pics of my 33 when I finish it (still need to sort out the lamp irons as they broke when I was putting them back in. I think I probably have some Bachmann 37 ones which should do the job alright. Hopefully I'll be able to get that done over the Easter weekend.

EDIT: Just realized. The cl. 33 I'm refering to is in another topic. I'm getting old :(

Archived