TERRACED HOUSE BACKS

Gravy, thanks for the kind words. The bricks are "Slater's Embossed" sheet, stretcher bond. The mortar is Humbrol cream, the bricks are picked out at random with various Humbrol colours. I cut the windows from various thickness sheet, not "Microstrip", since I posted the picture, I have thined down the sash bars on the end house, a tremendus difference. Still plenty to go at, and thanks for your encouragement.

• RMweb Premium

I now have the roof inplace and the back kitchen chimney stacks, when these houses were new, hot water for washday etc was boiled in a coal fired "Copper".

The cooking facility would have been a coal-fired range as well. They were being fitted into new houses, especially social housing, well into the 30s. My previous house (a 1901 terrace) still had the chimney for it, and my current house (1936 terrace of 4) was built with one. My late aunt who lived on a 30s council estate outside Bangor still had one in the 80s. Many of the neighbours still used theirs for hot water even in summer. 

Your terrace is coming along well. Re brick bonds; I don't know when your terrace dates from, but in some districts cavity walls were required by the late 19th century so stretcher bond would be used. My 1901 house had it. The inner skin was mostly broken brick, halves and bats, with a lot of mortar. Drilling for shelves was a hit and miss affair; I learnt to use long screws.

Pete

Pete, thanks for your interesting comments. I was brought up in one of the houses I'm modelling, and by pure chance we now live next door. I well remember the coal fired oven in the middle room, actually the same coal fire apart from heating the room also heated the bath water etc. "Our" house was built c1895 and has solid walls.

Hi Mick, I was reading Iain Rice's book about Making the best of Will's Scenic Materials, and in one of his sections, he describes how he puts 40' thou plasticard on the return window reveal inside the windows so they have a visual  depth to the wall thickness internally, which I think is a great idea, I am not sure if you have already done this though, forgive me if you have.

Best regards & happy modelling

Craig.

I have considered laying the slates individualy, but has the model is to be set well back, I don't think it warrants the effort.

Hi Mick, forgive me for butting in but many a good model has been let down by a poor roof. Individual tiles/slates is the way to go and even if the building is set back you will notice the difference between individual slates/tiles and long strips of paper curling up all along the edges - you're doing a really great modeling job there Mick, don't ruin it now mate just for a few hours work.

Cheers.

Allan

If you are going to lay slates individually, don't forget the soaker row at the bottom, a lot of modellers forget that row.

I'm amazed that you say you have never done this before, close up the results look great, even having the joins in the guttering and spouting shows an amazing attention to detail.

I wouldn't even attempt to build some thing like this, I prefer to rely on the expertise of Mr Metcalfe & Co !

Peter, apart from my Hull & Barnsley Rly "Sallyfield Jct" signalbox, the houses are my first serious attempt at scenic modelling. OK, and fair does, I have spent years scratchbuilding loco's and signals etc from metal, so I'm used to marking out and making proper fits. What I have not done in the past is the "Artistic" side of modelling making, and I have surprised myself how it has come out. I'm certain I have been helped by actualy living in the house I model, and I was obviously able to stand in my "Own Backyard" and study the brickwork and colours etc.

The roof is a "Slab" of Will's plastic sheet, I was already passed the point of no return when Alan advised/suggested I lay proper slates. I shall probably now do that.

Graham, please advise of the "Soaker Row", I can no longer look at the houses nearby, they all now have "Modern" roofs.

Many Thanks to you all, for your help and interest. Mick.

post-702-0-08390700-1415313863_thumb.jpg

As promised I've found your terrace! looking really good too. Has someone has had a bit of a damp problem under their back window?

Paul, a lot of these houses had a damp problem, and I too paid out a few quid to get our pad sorted. A lot of the houses had the brickwork "Tarred" over to windowcill height. Ence, my unfinished "Black" on the end house.

I have now added the Bathroom to the Posh House, this would originaly have been the outside tiolet and coalhouse, but with an overall slate roof to form a Varanda. Next door the green painted house remains very much as built, though some crude weather boarding has been added. The extension is not yet fixed in place and needs more work to detail it etc.

post-702-0-09315500-1416398487_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-14217900-1416398519_thumb.jpg

Archived