TERRACED HOUSE BACKS

As a change, I have decided to have a go at several typical Hull "House Backs", finding the dimensions is not a problem, I measure my own "Des Res". Though to suit my c1962 time scale I have removed all the "Plastic Windows" and reverted to the original Victorian "Sash Windoew" of c1895 when the houses were built.

Attached a couple of photo's of progress so far. The entire model is from Plasticard, the windows are cut from sheet and laminated, the sashbars of the bottom right-hand window are a little on the thick side, a few strokes with a neddle file are needed. Some work is required on the brick work, it certainly needs toneing down a little. Apart from my Sallyfield Jct signalbox  of a few years ago, my first attempt at scenic modelling for many years.

post-702-0-90473900-1414500650_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-10180000-1414500673_thumb.jpg

HUll has some quite interesting working class housing. I remember when I was a conveyancing solicitor looking at some plans and being amazed at just how many houses were crammed into such a small space.

Dean

David, many thanks for your constructive comment. I looked at several houses nearby and the bonding is "Interesting", and often "Headers and Stretchers" mixed, as you can see from the attached photo, part of my house as the "Headers" six courses apart. Short of scribing my own bricks I will live with the "Incorrect" bond. The finished houses will be at the back of the layout, and when completed, there will be no large expanses of brick work, most elavations will be broken up with doors and windows. Again thanks for your comments.

Rovex, yes there are or were some good family houses in Hull.

post-702-0-34781100-1414502431_thumb.jpg

Ps, I will build the rest of the houses from Slater's Flemish Bond brick, it will be more pleaseing to the eye, and in anycase, I'm not modelling actual houses, just typical ones.

• RMweb Premium

Are there any 4mm and 7mm scale  embosed "Garden Wall" bond brick sheets on the market? Thanks, Mick.

Hi Mick

I wouldn't worry too much about the bond if you cannot source it, most people wouldn't notice it. I say that from my own experince, I extened the Hornby factory office, the front was as per Hornby, Flemish bond and the rear was Slaters English bond. No one ever commented on it.

post-16423-0-36579700-1414505738_thumb.jpg

Clive a nice piece of work.

Re the various brick bonds, some of the contempoary houses across the road from me have Stretcher Bond and others Flemish. The houses have obviously been built "Piecemeal" and in one case they are adjecent with different bonds, and the brickwork as not been "Keyed In" to the adjacent house. Also, and for good measure the roof lines don't match.

Peter, thanks for the kind words. The windows are cut and filed out of sheet plastic. The brickwork is Slater's, washed over in cream and then wiped off with paper toweling, the bricks are then "Highlighted" individualy, and using various colours at random. A long way to go yet, and I still have a lot to learn. Best Wishes, Mick.

Lovely bit of modelling there Mick - as you say your brick colour could be toned down but they are excellent all the same and represent the random hues that bricks have.

I tone my brickwork down with brown weathering powder used sparingly. It brings bright colours down and levels out the contrast between different coloured bricks. If you don't have any weathering powders then get some - they are so good when working with bricks.

post-21051-0-19681900-1414793925_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-43903100-1414793985_thumb.jpg

Mick

Looking very good, being someone who grew up in this type of housing all be it in the south the house backs started to alter around this period. Quite a few were owner occupied and various alterations were being carried out. By the mid 60's the local council compelled all landlords to provide bathrooms, many owner occupiers had already taken up the grants by then.

Whilst when built (1900's) all would be exactly the same, by the mid 60's some would still have the outside privi and coal room, others would have had single (can't remember any 2 story then) story bathroom extensions. Some gave up the 3rd small bedroom for a bathroom, so the outside privies were kept, others were converted into kitchen extensions. Replacement windows were starting to come in, remember the louvres !! 

As for painting, if the plastic is primed and painted mortar colour, would acrylic paint look better.,

Super bit of modelling

Many thanks for your comments, the houses I'm modelling were when first built "Up Market", and had the downstairs kitchen with a bedroom above at right angles to the main building. I'm working on these at the moment. Indeed, by the mid '60's no two houses were alike, I'm also working on this, and the odd window replacement has already taken place. I too was brought up in such a house, and I recall all the changes, plus upto the mid '50's a couple of houses still Gas Lit.

The "Back Kitchen and Back Bedroom", temp assembled and put temp in place. Has you can see from the Bright Blue "Casement" windows, this is the "Modernised" house, and will have a "Proper" bathroom. The others will retain the roofed over bog and coal house etc.

post-702-0-18474500-1414841558_thumb.jpg

Many thanks for your comments, the houses I'm modelling were when first built "Up Market", and had the downstairs kitchen with a bedroom above at right angles to the main building. I'm working on these at the moment. Indeed, by the mid '60's no two houses were alike, I'm also working on this, and the odd window replacement has already taken place. I too was brought up in such a house, and I recall all the changes, plus upto the mid '50's a couple of houses still Gas Lit.

Regarding "gas lit" houses. My wife and I moved into 13 Kings Terrace, Terry Street Hull in 1965. There were 18 houses in that now long gone terrace and one of them still had gas lighting at that time. In fact the two old ladies who lived there had no electricity in the house at all! The only item they had needing electricity was a radio and that was powered by an accumulator. This was changed every two weeks by a fellow from a company called A.C.C. These letters standing for the Accumulator Charging Company. As far as I know they no longer trade these days having moved on to supplying every thing for car sound systems.

Another point on the strange building habits of our fine city. I believe Hull also had the unique method of the passage way through under a  row of terraced houses leading to a court yard with several houses built off that. Remember the Hull expression Young MickNick, "Built by an unknown Jerry builder, knocked down by an unknown Jerry bomber!"

A little more progress and again not the best of photographs. I now have the roof inplace and the back kitchen chimney stacks, when these houses were new, hot water for washday etc was boiled in a coal fired "Copper". Still a lot to learn and to do, looking at the photo suggests a fair amount of remedal work is required.

post-702-0-97100000-1415037993_thumb.jpg

Hi Mick,

they are coming together very well indeed, are you shure you havn't done this before :-), what brick colour are you using?

I have found that when toning down brickwork, the most important factor is the mortar coulour, that more often than not determines the overall colour and shade of the Brick colour.

cheers

Peter

ps: I like the window frames.

Archived