Dapol Q1 pickup problem

Mr chapman

Hello chaps. I've got an original run Dapol Q1 that has developed an issue transferring power between the drawbar. If I add a small plastic shim into the casing it helps so its something loose or dirty. The problem is I cant figure out how to get into it. The body and tender body are easy to remove but I can't see a way into the coupling between the two. This is the version before the two small wires. Anyone had this and more importantly fixed this? It looses the connection on tighter curves and cuts out.

Hello chaps. I've got an original run Dapol Q1 that has developed an issue transferring power between the drawbar. If I add a small plastic shim into the casing it helps so its something loose or dirty. The problem is I cant figure out how to get into it. The body and tender body are easy to remove but I can't see a way into the coupling between the two. This is the version before the two small wires. Anyone had this and more importantly fixed this? It looses the connection on tighter curves and cuts out.

I had    3 of these  early issue  Q1s  and  although  they  worked  reasonably initially,they  all became  problematical with pickup problems , I never did have  the  tike to  sort  them  out , but  sold them on to  a friend (who was aware of the  problems)  I believe  that  he eventually got  one of  them to work OK  but  I never  queried his method unfortunately, the  other  2 were  eventually  made into frre  running  non powered locos, which  stood most of the  time in his loco yard! (Occasionally  getting pushed around  as  a dummy  double  header!!)

I must admit  that  I have never  purchased  another Dapol loco since!  just before I read  yr post  I was browsing  Dapol's N gauge  section on Hattons  and  noticed  that  they do seem to have  an unusually high proportion of  'used' steam locos  for  sale.

. The vast majority of my motive power is from Dapol. I have nothing but love for Dapol steam locos. Every one has ran well, as did the Q1 untill now. That said its clocked up a fair few miles! I would normally have this in about a hundred bits by now but the Q1 has enormous sentimental value to me.

Just looked at Hattons web site, 8 used Dapol steam locos out of 170.      19 used Farish steam locos out of 82

I wouldn't say there is an unusually high proportion of "used Dapol" steam locos for sale.

Don

I don't want this to turn into a thread about who does and doesn't like Dapol locos.

I'm very happy with my fleet of Dapol steam locos, that's not going to change. End of.

I just want to get this fixed. If anyone has advise on how to get into this please post here and try and keep it on topic please. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't want this locked before I get the info I'm after.

One of these areas where I'm not sure who the expert is- my singleton has run reliably from new so apart from weathering I've not yet felt the need to tinker with it.

Have you tried a PM to Dr Al?

All the very best

Les

All sorted now. A quick clean and adjustment of a wiper and it runs like a Swiss watch again. Thanks to all the people who took the time to PM me to say don't buy Dapol products. I quit agree. How dare Dapol put a loco on the market that after years of trouble free running would require a quick service to return it to peak condition. The nerve of some companies...

Archived