RMweb

There were numerous examples of buses being used by BR for staff transport and the like but not too many pics seem to have survived. This is one I came across which was used on a service I'd never come across before.

http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=15

Scroll down to the entry on 01/ 07/ 11

A facinating picture, I found a few weeks ago. KRR261 was numbered AA 0304 E and if you look carefuly a double arrow is seen on the side. The Bus came from Mansfield and District and carried their Green & cream livery.

Tinsley marshaling yard and loco shed was built in the mid 60s to replace the multitude of smaller yards & sheds inherited from the LNER & LMS. Therefore a requirement for moving displaced staff was needed. Similar arrangments were made at the large depots that were some miles from town centre / main stations. Examples being Toton, Saltley, Margham and others. New vehicles were used by some regions and second hand by others.

Merf.

Nice Bedford colour pic Chard.

I've kept away from Scarab pics in the past because I thought they were too common but plenty here , dozens of 'em in a series of pics at Sighthill Rail Freight Terminal in Glasgow along with Austin Loadstars.

http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/archive/sighthill-springburn__o_t__t_1204.html

They are brilliant aren't they. Obviously photographed to show off the newly built depot. 1963/4 ish judging by the few yellow ones begining to appear. I did find them a few years back but forgot where.

Merf.

A facinating picture, I found a few weeks ago. KRR261 was numbered AA 0304 E and if you look carefuly a double arrow is seen on the side. The Bus came from Mansfield and District and carried their Green & cream livery.

Tinsley marshaling yard and loco shed was built in the mid 60s to replace the multitude of smaller yards & sheds inherited from the LNER & LMS. Therefore a requirement for moving displaced staff was needed. Similar arrangments were made at the large depots that were some miles from town centre / main stations. Examples being Toton, Saltley, Margham and others. New vehicles were used by some regions and second hand by others.

Merf.

Margam used a BR crew bus, as the approach road went through a low bridge to access the TMD and yard buildings. When I blagged a lift on it, as a 14-year old, it was a green Commer (the same cab as the former Matchbox ice-cream van, one of which has been in my 'round-to-it' box ever since). Sometimes Western Welsh would provide a single-decker as cover, which could just about get through- however, they fouled up one day and sent a double-decker, along with a driver who wasn't familiar with the route..

Another find in Ernie's superb collection.

A Bedford VAS with Strachens bus body. One of a number supplied to the Midland Region, NNK918-932D = OVC 8918D M - OVC 8932D M, in the original green livery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5934751346/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Merf.

At least one of these finished it's days as a staff bus with Weetabix at Burton Latimer. It was still in BR yellow with the addition of Weetabix names which distinguished it from the others in the fleet in the Weetabix lemon yellow scheme. There was a Duple (Midland)/ Willowbrook bodied VAS there as well which looked as though it was ex-BR.

They were all replaced with "real" coaches in the early eighties (mostly Bedford YRTs and Volvo B58s) before the Weetabix fleet was disbanded in 1997.

At least one of these finished it's days as a staff bus with Weetabix at Burton Latimer. It was still in BR yellow with the addition of Weetabix names which distinguished it from the others in the fleet in the Weetabix lemon yellow scheme. There was a Duple (Midland)/ Willowbrook bodied VAS there as well which looked as though it was ex-BR.

They were all replaced with "real" coaches in the early eighties (mostly Bedford YRTs and Volvo B58s) before the Weetabix fleet was disbanded in 1997.

RANGERS, The Weetabix connection is interesting. I have no record of any Bedford VAS with Duple or Willowbrook bodies with BR, but I do have a shot of the larger Bedford SB with that body type which was I think Western based at Margam. Would love to hear of any buses that the railway had.

Fat Controller, The Commer BF minibuses were very numerous with BR, red/cream and green. Margam seems to be one of the places that regularly had new buses for staff transport, like this one.

Dig out the Matchbox ice cream van, like the one I made years ago !

British Rail . B912DMW. Margam Diesel Depot . August-1987 .

post-1625-0-39926700-1310674296_thumb.jpg

Nice that Merf , might have a go at a van version , assume its near 1.76 scale?

Close as..

Matchbox used to press the scale as part of the details on the 'chassis'- I'll see if I can find mine, and report back. How did you model the body, Merfyn?

Those Strachan-bodied Bedford coaches look very similar to the sort that we used to see fairly regularily working out of the various barracks around here- were the MoD ones also Strachans?

MOD stuff was all very similar up to the mid-seventies, mostly on Bedford SB (some Dodge and a handful of BMC/ Leyland FG) chassis and 32' long. The bodywork designs varied only slightly between builders on account of the rigid spec' laid down by the MOD and to allow interchangability of parts. After that they brought in 12m vehicles on AEC and Leyland Tiger chassis with Marshall, Plaxton and Wadham Stringer bodies which were very different. The 32' requirements continued up until 1988 on Bedford and Dodge, everything after that was based on Dennis Javelins with Plaxton and Wadham Stringer bodies.

The MOD stuff was built with double doors to the back up until 1996, to allow for loading stretchers.

The Commer bodywork is made using clear plastic sheet glued to the outside of the van then the windows painted around. Like the old Brackenborough bus kits.

The Strachens bodies on the VAS were in fact similar to those on the MOD SBs. I have a B W models whitemetal kit to modify. It needs smaller wheels, shortening and the side windows making deeper. A very good kit at a reasonable price. In the 'round to it' box.

Merf.

• RMweb Premium

Close as..

Matchbox used to press the scale as part of the details on the 'chassis'- I'll see if I can find mine, and report back. How did you model the body, Merfyn?

Those Strachan-bodied Bedford coaches look very similar to the sort that we used to see fairly regularily working out of the various barracks around here- were the MoD ones also Strachans?

They were 1/75 scale, as was the Trojan van that preceded it in the range. Most Matchbox vans of this type were about the same scale including a Commer TV repair van that was based on the ice cream van. The Morris J2 pick up and the Volkswagen van were also 1/75 and the Thames minibus was actually 1/76. Most of the other models are either to small or too large for OO scale or less suitable such as American cars and trucks.

Bedford CF and TK at Rochester derailment 1985-

http://www.kentrail.org.uk/slight_snag_at_rochester.htm

The Bedford CFL2, with Dormobile conversion, one of a batch registered between A204KKJ and A249KKJ, allocated to all regions. Unusualy having Maidstone registrations instead of each region registering their own. Obviously registered by Dormobile. BR didn't have many Mk2 CFs.

The TK, shame you can't make out it's number.

Merf.

Hi chaps.. saw this old Leyland FG in Bournemouth yesterday ..ex railway ?

Agreed, not one of the last which had higher roofs. Leyland badge so not one of the earliest !

Shame no registration visible.

A very rare survivor, I only know of one other as a camper in the north which was at Butterley some years ago. Body frames seem to be the problem preventing them surviving, being steel.

Merf.

[

Somthing different, a bit more modern.

The very nice model by Creative Master Northcord, of the current (2005)Mercedes Sprinter van, can be seen on many layouts of the modern era. I have no evidence of any of these with Network Rail, but the identical body is produced as the Volkswagen Crafter and N R has some of these. They appear to be used by the P Way welders for carrying their heavy equipment.

The model has had a Volkswagen radiator grill grafted on from a brochure photograph to give a somthing different look to it.

Real photo on flicker at Barnetby.

Network Rail van

post-1625-0-34931800-1311328871_thumb.jpg

Merf.

Staying with the modern theme. Until recently there has not been anything available ready to run for Freightliner operations, then all those new wagons from Dapol, Bachmann & Hornby. For the road side nothing again till on the Warren Lane thread some pictures of new tractor units at Birmingham Lawley St.

post-1625-0-35587500-1311330633_thumb.jpg

Both the DAF XF and MAN are available from Oxford so somthing had to be done with these.

A further look at flickr found a MAN with simpler (easier) livery.

post-1625-0-26081100-1311330940_thumb.jpg

The MAN from Manchester with the simplified livery coupled to the unfinished P H trailer.

post-1625-0-46406100-1311330963_thumb.jpg

The DAF in Freightliner yellow as seen in the Birmingham photo.

Like your new avatar, jcb (bigger than mine !), hope you find these of interest.

Merf.

Thanks Merf ,

Actually think the DAF is a bit modern might change it for NCL Seddon Atkinson :)

Nice models , how do you do your transfers ?

Spotted a lot of Freightliner Trucks in my neck of the woods lately , they have a depot at nearby Wilton , don't know wether they've just started using their own trucks.

Also regularly see an old E reg ERF ex Freightliner tractor unit pulling containers on way to work, unchanged except for sign writing. Trying to photo it but bloody hard when driving !

Thanks Merf ,

Actually think the DAF is a bit modern might change it for NCL Seddon Atkinson :)

Nice models , how do you do your transfers ?

Spotted a lot of Freightliner Trucks in my neck of the woods lately , they have a depot at nearby Wilton , don't know wether they've just started using their own trucks.

Also regularly see an old E reg ERF ex Freightliner tractor unit pulling containers on way to work, unchanged except for sign writing. Trying to photo it but bloody hard when driving !

Transfers, I do myself. The Freightliner is the new style introduced with the class 70s. A copy made from their website, scaled to size for printing, trial & error and printed on crafty computer transfer paper (clear). The Network rail being similar from a letterhead.

Merf.