DCC Sound Black five

Modelling Martin

Hi there,

A few weeks ago i was happily running my black five around my trak like i had been doing for the past three years (i t has a Loksound v3.5 in it) until suddenly the sound cut out as it was moving. I was able to bring it to a halt and ever since i have been able to run it without sound suggesting the chip hasn't blown. This would suggest to me there may be a fault in the software? Ive done the reset with CV 8 and nothing. The most unusual thing however is that i can turn the sound on and it will work for a couple of seconds before automatically turning itself and becoming unresponsive to my commands (whilst it it still accepting my running commands fine). Consequently i thought who should i take it to? Its well past the two year guarantee and ESU don't accept OEM decoders (mine had factory fitted sound) so i'm wondering what to do next? I don't want to give up on the decoder yet because because it still moves the loco and plays sound for a few seconds- a kind of taunt!

Any help is much appreciated as i'm stuck for what to do. Ive included some photos of the physical decoder and speaker which seems to show everything is fine.

I have just had a go and put the sound on which worked fine until i turned the whistle on when it cut out. When function one is on there is a noise coming from the speaker or decoder different to when f1 is turned off. I didn't realise the speaker is wired into the PCB of the tender. Very confusing indeed.

Regards,

Gary

• RMweb Gold

I don't know this particular model but two things spring to mind.

Doing a decoder reset may not be the wisest move. You may have changed some of the CVs that control the way the sound behaves (although the sound files themselves will still be present).

Can you trace the speaker cables and check that they haven't become worn or pinched anywhere along their length?

I don't know this particular model but two things spring to mind.

Doing a decoder reset may not be the wisest move. You may have changed some of the CVs that control the way the sound behaves (although the sound files themselves will still be present).

Can you trace the speaker cables and check that they haven't become worn or pinched anywhere along their length?

Thank you for your quick response. I initially reset the decoder after the fault developed to see if it would fix the problem. The speaker is connected to the socket and not the sound chip making it difficult to see if theres any problems. All the connections are present on the speaker and on the socket:

post-16460-0-25810600-1414775518_thumb.jpg

post-16460-0-18411200-1414775534_thumb.jpg

post-16460-0-21381200-1414775546_thumb.jpg

post-16460-0-73117500-1414775555_thumb.jpg

post-16460-0-57181600-1414775566_thumb.jpg

I would also like to add that in reverse the locomotive lifts up the cab every wheel revolution in reverse a few millimetres. I was wondering whether to unscrew the coupling rod on one side, adjust the wheel and then screw in again or add weight into the cab?

This is turning out to be quite a story!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

Have you sorted the problem as I have only just seen your thread?

Have you tried changing the speaker asi have had a few that the speaker has deid and exhibited the same symptoms that you have described.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hope the OP will tell us what happened?

I've a similar problem. Loco runs perfectly with the engine sound turned off. Press F1 and the engine bursts into life. As you increase the controller, the engine starts to thrash and gives all the sounds of running, but it's sat there stationary.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope the OP will tell us what happened?

I've a similar problem. Loco runs perfectly with the engine sound turned off. Press F1 and the engine bursts into life. As you increase the controller, the engine starts to thrash and gives all the sounds of running, but it's sat there stationary.

Hi,

Have you sorted the problem as I have only just seen your thread?

Have you tried changing the speaker asi have had a few that the speaker has deid and exhibited the same symptoms that you have described.

Cheers

Simon

Hi, sorry its taken so long, christmas and all that ( i do find it quite annoying when people don't tell you what happened!) To answer your questions in the end i sent it to Hornby for repair. Expecting a large bill for a new chip i was very relieved when it came back and all they charged was £25 for a new speaker and set of valve gear (how much they charge just for the speaker i don't know) and it seems to be running fine now. Can't say anything for certain as the loco is back with Hornby after the pickups came loose- the saga continues!

Gary

Archived