24" by 10" OO shunting layout

Spitfire2865

Hello there. With all these layout topics out there, it may seem useless to pay any mind here. Im going for an extremely small layout which will actually fit in my desk at uni. I have only 2 ft by 10" of space available plus a quarter inch Im leaving for clearance. I will probably have to run it with an extended headshunt but it would be amazing if I didnt have to. Though...not likely.

Era will be 1928-1936 LMS and the motive power is none other than the humble Hornby pug and maybe magnets underneath for capstan use.

I designed last night a sort of minimal inglenook but was wondering if I could push that further and make something cool.

I definitely want wagon turntables and capstan shunting, and would like proper turnouts which I plan on insetting and setting this all in a tiny corner of a large goods yard. Later today I can get on my laptop and post a photo from Scarm of what I have already. Its something but not complete.

Any ideas welcome.

Sounds interesting Spitfire.

Wagon turntables also intrigue me for some reason, I didn't manage to fit any in on my similar sized layout (linked in my signature) so will be interested to see your progress.

Gra

Ive been following your updates with interest. Though Im not one for sector plates personally.

Seeing as I cant manage a screenshot on my laptop, heres a photo of what Ive managed already.

A 2-2-3 inglenook for short wheelbase stock.

Though, of I got rid of the 5.4 inches of track to the left, Is have more room but that would require a longer extension for running. If I decide on a small add on traverser, I could add another track towards the top.

post-21863-0-36947700-1415036674_thumb.jpg

Well. I MAY have found a solution to simplicity.

It still would need a lot of consideration and I may just scrap the idea again.

post-21863-0-01568500-1415137454_thumb.jpg

So how this works is my add-on bit is a proper sector plate of about 8 inches. How to hide it...not sure. Not much room for any scenic block but maybe I could figure something out. Or even flip the whole plan and enter top left.

Maybe Im just trying to cram too much into such a small space...Im not sure anymore.

But heres how itd look inset...sort of. I do plan on insetting most if not all of it. Lots of work there.

post-21863-0-58390500-1415137461_thumb.jpg

So am I just stupid and putting too much in here?

So am I just stupid and putting too much in here?

Hi Spitfire2865,

It looks like an interesting plan to me. I'm all for lots of lovely pointwork. Interestingly, I was over in UK Prototype Questions, looking at the Hereford goods yard thread, and jonas has posted a couple of links; they took me to a picture which I think could serve you well in limiting your trackage, and also contribute towards a bonne excuse for your for your turntable:

http://www.herefordshirehistory.org.uk/archive/herefordshire-images/146900#prettyPhoto 

Is it still am Inglenook in that configuration? Even better if it is :)

Cheers

Jan

Hi Spitfire2865,

It looks like an interesting plan to me. I'm all for lots of lovely pointwork. Interestingly, I was over in UK Prototype Questions, looking at the Hereford goods yard thread, and jonas has posted a couple of links; they took me to a picture which I think could serve you well in limiting your trackage, and also contribute towards a bonne excuse for your for your turntable:http://www.herefordshirehistory.org.uk/archive/herefordshire-images/146900#prettyPhoto 

Is it still am Inglenook in that configuration? Even better if it is :)

Cheers

Jan

Inglenook, maybe. If I used the top as the long siding and the bottom two as the short ones. Though I just realized the runaround is useless here as there arent trailing points...how did I miss that?

May just go back to the original design. Keep it simple and plan a larger layout for the future when I have more room.

That Turntable would head into a warehouse. Though more room for that would be best. I have another idea to lessen the amount of trackwork, make the turntable more useful, and not kill my wallet.

When I get back to my computer, Ill give it another shot. I should be able to put a full inglenook in the space if I use just the y points

Not quite sure why the track would appear to diverge and then *immediately* come back together again which is what this appears to do.

It was an attempt to fit a runaround in less than 2 feet of scenic space.

Ok then. Back to simple, and a full 5-3-3 inglenook in 2 feet of scenic space.

Im rather happy I managed to fit it in. And with a warehouse backdrop, Im pretty happy. Its currently 24" by 10" so if I end up needing a bit more room in the back for detail. I could easily bring it to 12" deep. I elected to have the long siding in the rear to exit upper left. That way I can easily hide the end with say an office building and maybe an archway between it and the main warehouse.

If I deepen it to 12", I could put the main loading dock on the backscene and remove the small island platform.

post-21863-0-58051500-1415148356_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

post-21863-0-73081600-1415148733_thumb.jpg

My biggest issue will be reaching my 3 links. Maybe a cheap wire autocoupler is in order.

Hi Spitfire2865,

You COULD make the back siding raised a bit to represent a coal road or somethig similar. As in the first photo of Tewkesbury MPD: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/399/entry-1977-prototype-photos/# . That might negate the need for the thin platform; just represent the building on the backscene...

Cheers

Jan

That may limit me and make a shunting puzzle seem odd in practice. This is to purely be an inglenook and maybe work out a game for using the loading docks.

Im not too big on coal workings either. Also, a problem I may find with raising the siding is my stock rolling down. Most of my stock is actually very free rolling. Maybe Im too good at building. Haha. I need to make some wipers for the wheels.

Probably too late now, but this is a turntable I made in a boxfile : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/32981-stubbys-latest-boxfile-layout/?p=305799

Stu

Not too late at all! Ive seen yours before, and I do like your solution to the rotation bit. Though I want to have a proper one with 4 way operation. Im thinking how to electrify it if I can manage to even fit it in. Theres not much room anymore and currently, the only place I could fit it is between the two straight roads linking them, which actually isnt as odd as it sounds. Goods yards would be stuffed with em.

Archived