KH's Wagon and Coach Bodgings - GWR Provender Wagon, Wild Boar Models Cordon DD4

knobhead

Wow, like going from N to O scale. We can see all the fine detail you've added now. Excellent.

Thanks, Neil!

It sure feels better to post a pic like the latest one. Could do with better lighting though.

Regards,

Stefan

Decided to add the trussing before the brakes (outside brake rigging) It's been hard to chose a prototype to model from. Every wagon seems to be different from the next. I picked the wagon, shown in plate 701,  'GWR Goods Wagons' The finished wagon will, hopefully, bear some resemblance to the one in the photo.

post-12040-0-44219300-1418932715.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

With the Provender wagon done, there's room for another wagon. The lovely prototype belonged to W. A. Day, Usk (Model Railway News June 1969) and it's, pretty much, the opposite to the massive Provender wagon;

Load: 7 tons

Tare: 3-12-2

Length over body: 12 '2"

Width over body: 6 '11"

Wheelbase: 5 '0"

I'm always looking for the easiest way and is using H0 scale w-irons (21,5 mm wide, they're on the Coke wagon above as well) It's wrong for a 00 wagon but..... (tried the MJT w-irons with the body and they look way too big for such a tiny wagon)

post-12040-0-10978100-1420990380_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-28198800-1420990402_thumb.jpg

Hi Nelson,

According to the article in MRN the short wheelbase of these early POW restricted their use to the Welsh coalfields. The system of dumb buffers at one end was most common in South Wales (I think) The purpose of a tiny wagon was probably to save as much money as possible. This particular wagon did not carry a Railway Company registration plate. Others will know a lot more on the subject.

Regards,

Stefan

The hanf and half buffers were a way to save money. If you never turned the stock, they abided by the rules, having springing between every wagon. Converting double the fleet for the same money.

And the wagon looks great. What bearings are those? They look absolutely tiny. Cone bearings?

Hi Spitfire,

You could say that the bearings are part of the axle and that the holes in the w-iron are opened to fit the axles. I don't know what this type of axle is called in English. I would have prefered the traditional system since it's a little trickier (for me, at least) to get the wheel to roll freely and evenly, but the narrow w-Irons save space.

Regards,

Stefan

post-12040-0-25026000-1421080105.jpg

post-12040-0-99088400-1421080126.jpg

Hi KH

Your provender wagon is an inspiration for me to finish mine, then the shunting horses at my local miniature station can receive their hay and other provisions.

Also those Model Railway News magazine articles are are a useful source of data on early wagons. I've converted some Lima H0 wagons to early South Wales  short wheel base ones. The smaller H0 wagon bodies are a good fit for small 00 sizes.

post-6220-0-42482800-1421088320.jpg

On the shorter ones I used Ratio W irons and axle box mouldings, which do look a but crowded together. H0 ones could look better.

Where did you get your H0 W irons from?

Thanks!

I had some help from Buffalo with the outside brake rigging. It's harder to find good illustrations and photo's of this setup than the more common (modern) brake systems. I'm glad you like it!

Regards,

Stefan 

Archived