125 versus King

arfaminit

How do I assess whether my 30 yr.old 125 Intercity [diesel] engine is going quick enough ~ it appears very roughly half the speed of my King Henry V1 ?

At least it doesn't keep de-railing though [unlike the King on standard Hornby points]

Back to Back-----  the   distance  between  the  inner  surfaces  of  the  wheels!  (ie  the  measurement  of  the  distance  between the backs of a pair of wheels on 1 axle)

On a lot of old track plans the words "the accuracy of this measurement cannot be overestimated". At the crossing there are check rails to ensure the wheels follow the corect path. On RTR points this distance is fixed. If the wheel back to back is too tight the wheel will ride up the check rails and derail. If too wide the outside check rail wont stop the wheeL going the wrong way at the crossing V and again derail. You need to check all the wheels including the bogie and tender

How do I assess whether my 30 yr.old 125 Intercity [diesel] engine is going quick enough ~ it appears very roughly half the speed of my King Henry V1 ?

At least it doesn't keep de-railing though [unlike the King on standard Hornby points]

If your IC 125 is going about half the speed of your King, there is a good chance it is going too slowly, The Hornby Ringfield is quite capable of exceeding scale speed by a fair  margin. If you want to be sure you can measure the length of your circuit and time how long it takes to do say ten circuits. Then just a little number crunching to get scale speed.

Thanks everybody for your replies. I now seem to have found the problem. One of the main engine cogs had fractionally lifted off its hub. Having corrected this, it's now running smoother and quicker although not quite as quick as the King. But it doesn't derail like the King  :no:

Our Hornby 125 was not very fast and did not pull very well until we added some weight to the power car. now it goes like a good un .  :}

I guess I must be lucky with mine, no extra weight and it hauls/propels five trailers + dummy at high speed no problem.

Archived