If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Chip Identification ?

daveymills

well i had no luck trying to read the CVs 7 & 8 on my programming track.  I get a vaue of 255 for both which i think means unable to read.

just by chance i opened up another loco which according to my records has a LS v4, and lo and behold it is visually the same chip as in my Class 47.

However I keep photos of the v4 on my computer to aid identificaitlon and they are definitely different to what I understood tobe a v4. The'true' v4 below.  Maybe just different version of same chip, both having v4 technology ?

post-18622-0-93608000-1415833939.jpg

post-18622-0-30331200-1415833947.jpg

well these chips have been in my possession for a couple of years - i don't know how long the Select chips have been around.

plus they have been re-blown, which with the Select is not possible

The Select has been around longer than a couple of years. It originated in the US market. It is capable of reblow I believe but only with a  factory generated full project. I haven't followed the Select' progress as it was patently designed to compete directly with Tsunami's and was of no particular interest to the UK market.

I am not surprised that some have found their way over here and I believe that Bachmann are using them or intending to use them for factory fit decoders.

I have no idea whether that is what you have but I think a reasoned guess might concur that it is a Select.

The Select has been around longer than a couple of years. It originated in the US market. It is capable of reblow I believe but only with a  factory generated full project. I haven't followed the Select' progress as it was patently designed to compete directly with Tsunami's and was of no particular interest to the UK market.

I am not surprised that some have found their way over here and I believe that Bachmann are using them or intending to use them for factory fit decoders.

I have no idea whether that is what you have but I think a reasoned guess might concur that it is a Select.

A loksound Select it is...

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-select/

David, by " a factory generated full project" I assume you mean one that is dowloadable from the ESU site ?  rather than, say, from SWD who provide Bachmann etc with a lot of sound projects.

The sound file on my Heljan 47 is a class 47 (not available from ESU) but it does behave rather oddly, in that the engine will continue as running, even if the brakes are applied and the loco is at a standstill.

cheers

Dave

This is a Loksound Select - although a 21pin version -  It looks different to the decoder fitted in your HJ 47.  

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91294-sound-decoder-info-needed/

CV 8 reads 151 - (Loksound)

CV 7 reads 255 - the software version loaded ? 

If the decoder has already been reblown as you stated, it's highly unlikely to be a Select.

Someone with LokSound experience might like to confirm this, but my understanding of the full version V4 is that you can reprogram/reload/replace individual sound files e.g. just a whistle replaced with another whistle sound, whereas the 'Select' version you can only reblow the entire project in one hit (same as Zimo and CT etc.)

J

Someone with LokSound experience might like to confirm this, but my understanding of the full version V4 is that you can reprogram/reload/replace individual sound files e.g. just a whistle replaced with another whistle sound, whereas the 'Select' version you can only reblow the entire project in one hit (same as Zimo and CT etc.)

J

Just to muddy the waters a little. I know that some of the LokSound "locked" decoders can be completely unlocked, I have at least one US unit that was unlocked and the US files swapped to a UK loco a few years ago. D

Well that perhaps explains how Bachmann managed to put their SWD tweaked 37 sound file onto 37 418 (ex Highlander Train Set) - which is fitted with a Loksound Select ! 

J

No.

The LokSound V4 is just like a Zimo or CT. The end user can use the manufacturer's hardware and software tools to compile and load their own sound projects. These are complete projects; it overwrites everything.  So, to change a whistle, you need the original sound project to edit, which is exactly the same as Zimo, CT, etc..   (Zimo have been promising an "add a new whistle" capability, but I don't think its ready yet).

The Select is intended to be like a Soundtraxx Tsunami; it would come pre-loaded with a number of whistles/horns to suit variants of the engine noises, primarily for the US market. There would be a handful of "base loads" of sound (just like a Tsunami where it comes in "light steam" or "heavy steam" or a number of different diesel "prime mover" engines). The Select doesn't have an option for user written files (unlike the V4), though there is a capability to install pre-made Select files (using the same LokProgrammer hardware as the V4).  Of course, if someone works out how to compile their own file for the Select it would be hard to tell the difference between the Select and a V4. 

- Nigel

Archived