Transformer for Gaugemaster 110-18 volts ac in Canada

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I've moved to Canada & our box of goodies arrived last week. I want to get something running with a Gaugemaster model W which requires 18 volt ac 1100 ma from the 110 volts mains. The closest I can find on eBay is 500 ma 5 amp transformer. Is this likely to work? I don't want to use a stepdown transformer on the original power source.

Thanks

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Dava

is it 500ma or 5amp?

most of the better power packs will produce 14-16V AC and range beyond 1 amp. How swnsitive is your unit to the 18V requirement?

An old Lionel (or equivalent) transformer would probably work; just check for deterioration.

• RMweb Premium

I run a number of Gaugemaster and Kent Panel control.  Both require all 18VAC.  I use doorbell transformers from Home Depot or Home Hardware.  Cheap and reliable.  I do use one per unit.

Thanks, I'll try this!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I'll try this!

Dava

You originally said 18 Volts at 1100 mA. there is no way a doorbell transformer would supply that sort of current. Not sure what your your local supplier is, but check somewhere like Wamart.

At 18 VAC and a required voltage of 14 that gives you 1.3 amps if my understanding of VAC is correct.  It was on this understanding and my need for relatively low motor loads that lead me to these doorbell transformers in the 1st place.  The fact that they are cheap, work and have worked in some cases for close to 15 years says it all in my book.

• RMweb Premium

At 18 VAC and a required voltage of 14 that gives you 1.3 amps if my understanding of VAC is correct.  It was on this understanding and my need for relatively low motor loads that lead me to these doorbell transformers in the 1st place.  The fact that they are cheap, work and have worked in some cases for close to 15 years says it all in my book.

Please could you post the details (from the label) of these of these doorbell transformers. Most doorbells are designed to run off batteries & so only require small amounts of current. Normally less than 200ma I'd expect. They may work on modern low current drawing motors, but 1100ma - no way, current safety design ones would shut down, or blow internal fuses.

Re the VAC, looks like my ignorance was bliss since they do work.  Alternatively it was VA and my memory is suffering the silver age syndrome.  Next time i am in home Depot or Home Hardware i will have a look at the labelling.  I will also dive into the bowls of my electric systems and see if I can read the details on one of the transformers.  Lakeview770 also brought up a good point.  One of the Hobby Shops in Ottawa always has a selection of used controllers going from about Can$5.00 for an old Tyco unit to about Can$50 for a pretty good MRC unit.  However, both have an 18V AC tap and the amperage is normally shown on the case, so depending on how many 18V sources you require this might be an even cheaper option.  

• RMweb Premium

I'm told I need about 20 VA to give 1100 milliamps, so none of the bell transformers feed enough to do this. A firm called Hammonds make a range of transformers but I haven't found a supplier yet. If I can locate a surplus controller with an 18 VAC feed that's fine. We dont have model shops here in the wilds of Cape Breton but a surplus shop might have one.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Dava

Hi Dava

I'm unsure why your fixed on 18 volts ac?

The Gaugemaster model W hand held controller works on a recommended input of 14 to 18 volts ac. It needs a transformer that can provide at least 1.0Amp or more current. 

All mine were (I'm now DCC) and all my clubs model W controllers are operated from a nominal 16volts ac using Gaugemaster twin T1 transformers.  These are rated at a nominal 16 volts ac at 1.25Amps per winding. These are installed into professionally made enclosures (cases). But for most uses a Wall Wart style plug in power unit can be used so long as it can provide the current required.  

Technically and AFAIK there shouldn't be any reason why an 18volt regulated dc power supply couldn't be used instead of an ac input. As all that happens is the ac is rectified to dc as soon as it enters the controller away! 

Good luck anyway. :-)

If you are happy to wire a bell transformer between the mains and your controller then you can just as easily wire any transformer. Look at somwhere like Digikey, Farnell or RS, who all operate internationally, or a local electronics supplier. Postage may be prohibitive.

An AC output wall wart will be OK but again these wil be heavy due to being transformer based.

Andrew

Hi Dava

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that the Gaugemaster controllers work fine on a DC supply. It is much easier to find low voltage power supplies that have a DC output as they are widely used for computer and other equipment. Just watch that they can supply the current you need - about 1.5 amps will be fine and give you a margin. The voltage is also not that critical - the Gaugemaster units will work from 9v up to about 18v - so if you can find a 12v supply that would be fine.

Regards.

Hi Dava

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that the Gaugemaster controllers work fine on a DC supply. It is much easier to find low voltage power supplies that have a DC output as they are widely used for computer and other equipment. Just watch that they can supply the current you need - about 1.5 amps will be fine and give you a margin. The voltage is also not that critical - the Gaugemaster units will work from 9v up to about 18v - so if you can find a 12v supply that would be fine.

Regards.

Next to last line in post 16 above.... 

12 volts dc may be a little on the low side for top speed especially once its also passed via the internal rectifier of the controller. But its a good stating place for dc input. 

• 1 month later...

Hi

Gaugemaster 100's run off DC fine. I'm using a pc power supply for 12V (yellow wire) (yes, lower top speed but it's for a small industrial layout). Use a 3A fuse as most PSUs will supply 15A+. For 17V use -12V and +5V (blue and red respectively) limited to 1A though. Nice smooth supply for point motors as well.

Short the green to ground (black) to make the PSU work! Also they are dual voltage, all for £30.

T

Archived