Wagon kit advice

Great Western

Evening Gentlemen, I looking for some advice regarding a easy to built, starter wagon kit of a 'modern' era engineering wagon, such a Grampus, Dogfish type wagon in 7mm.

I've seen a Grampus kit from Parkside which looks pretty straight forward, but I'm after a hopper type wagon ideally.

Do the Parkside kits come with wheels, buffers and three links? Basically everything I need minus paint and transfers.

I've looked on the JLTRT site! but can't find a wagon kits! I could have sworn they were doing a dogfish ?

Thanks

Great Western

Hi,

JLTRT has only just announced it is going to bring out the dog fish, but regarding the Parkside range they are a good quality kit with everything supplied but paint, Slaters kits in my opinion are a bit more finely detailed at a usually slightly higher price.

I would recommend any of those two suppliers for a starter kit.

HTH,

Martyn.

If you are new to making kits then the Parkside range is a good place to start. You need only very basic tools and the kits are complete, bar glue and paint.

Peco have a good range of kits. these are often overlooked. They do a nice 16t coal hopper. Again, everything included bar glue and paint.

Dougal

• RMweb Gold

Parkside 7mm include transfers

Slaters do not ( as far as I have seen)

JLRT do not have transfers or wheels

Cambridge Custom do a very nice set of transfers for 7mm based on a 4mm set that covers everything in the Parkside range and between them and spares from Parkside I normally get by - Parkside do sell other transfers at about £4 a go on their stand and website - "Old Time workshop" - and there seems to be good matches to the Slaters kits in that range

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/1948-65_Livery_Wagons.html

Chris

If you are new to making kits then the Parkside range is a good place to start. You need only very basic tools and the kits are complete, bar glue and paint.

Peco have a good range of kits. these are often overlooked. They do a nice 16t coal hopper. Again, everything included bar glue and paint.

Dougal

Oh I forgot about the Peco range, again very good with sprung buffers, couplings and the added bonus of working leaf springs ( well they do work if you put enough lead in the wagon ;) ).

Martyn.

Evening Gentlemen, I looking for some advice regarding a easy to built, starter wagon kit of a 'modern' era engineering wagon, such a Grampus, Dogfish type wagon in 7mm.

I've seen a Grampus kit from Parkside which looks pretty straight forward, but I'm after a hopper type wagon ideally.

Do the Parkside kits come with wheels, buffers and three links? Basically everything I need minus paint and transfers.

I've looked on the JLTRT site! but can't find a wagon kits! I could have sworn they were doing a dogfish ?

Thanks

Great Western

HI GW,

You are right, for the Grampus, Parkside Dundas do a nice kit - the door-frames on the underside are a little fiddly (but may be able to be left off anyway depending on your choice of coupling).

____________________________________________________

For later Pt Way stock, GJH do a decent range with lots of pre-moulded resin parts, which with a little fettling can make into nice models (Graham Harrison - the proprietor - was having an Op, so Invertrain are the best point of contact).

http://www.invertrain.com/

Eg;-

"GJH43114  EWS MTA 4-Wheel Spoil Wagon gjh43114.jpg&max_width=200&max_height=15

bullet.gif One piece resin body & brake levers, whitemetal axle boxes, sprung buffers & instanter couplings, soft resin airbrake pipes, air tank & ballast weights. Requires wheels to complete.

bullet.gif Resin/Whitemetal

bullet.gif Made by GJH Plant"

AND;-

"GJHW06  BR Tope Ballast Hopper gjhw06.jpg&max_width=200&max_height=150

bullet.gif 4-wheel ballast wagon, resin body with whitemetal fittings. Includes sprung buffers. Requires transfers, wheels & bearings to complete.

bullet.gif Resin kit

bullet.gif Made by GJH Plant"

____________________________________________________________

I would be mindful of the Peco kits as some go together a little easier (read 'fall together') than others, the Iron Ore Tippler and Pig Iron kits fall together (the Iron Ore Tippler can be used for slag/spoil as on the old S&D et al. and the Pig Iron can also be converted to a 'Coil C' wagon, if you are of a mind to) - have a look here if you like (Post #72);-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77273-down-ampney/page-3

Michael Hughes does some nice Pt Way stock, in terms of RTR Dogfish et al. and as others have said JLTRT are proposing RTR variants too and I understand that Heljan are upscaling their '00' RTR versions to 7mm FS as well.

Kind regards,

CME

Oh I forgot about the Peco range, again very good with sprung buffers, couplings and the added bonus of working leaf springs ( well they do work if you put enough lead in the wagon ;) ).

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

Yes the springs seem to work very well!

Kindest,

CME

Archived