Nonneminster Planet

Catweasel

I fitted a spud to mine, converted to EM, which isn't much help to you... The spud used is the 24mm wheelbase version, I dont think that there's a Black Beetle with a w/b that small.

In MRJ 53 Francis Samish describes fitting a scratchbuilt chassis, I havent got the copy to hand (MRJ index) so I'm unsure of details, but I think that it was single axle drive.

High Level once made an etched 4 wheel drive gearbox designed to sit in the Roxey Planet, which also uses a 24mm w/b spud. Whether that would fit I cannot say, but someone on here must have used one...

Has any one fitted a decent chassis to one of these? Beetle perhaps, or, even better, a High Level system? Not a lot of room I know but, if possible, I'd like to keep the cab clear. 

If it's the same or similar to the Roxy Planet, see this link.

I've emailed Chris Gibbon, and he can supply the bits still - his advice is to ask for "the Planet thing!"

Phil

This sort of Planet: http://www.nonneminstre.co.uk/4mm-standard-gauge.php

That must be the High Level 'QuadDriver' (details on the website but I can't find an easy way to link to it), though the instructions are here:  http://173.254.28.51/~highlev3/chris/QuadDriver20%20instructions.pdf

Available in 20, 21 and 23mm wheelbases.

Adam

The axleboxes are cast as part of the sideframes so you will need to use something with exactly a 24.5mm wheelbase.

Spuds can though sometimes be very good (I use a Gaugemaster feedback unit) as the complete kit has decent weight, but I have found the odd one that doesn't want to play.

I use one fitted with P4 wheels and it performs very well but I have also experienced one overcooking and melting the motor casing due to continuous running on a circular exhibition layout with the above feedback unit, although it was under a very heavy 7mm narrow gauge body!

The gears in a Spud are 14:1 with a shaft separation of 3.6mm - this can't be changed due to the motor size and worm diameter fitting inside the casing. I've never found a finer pitch set that would maintain this separation (I think the Spud ones are 0.4mod?) but do wonder what the chances are of Ultrascale doing a custom worm diameter to a finer pitch to allow the use of a suitable finer pitch gear to give a higher ratio? 

• RMweb Premium

I fitted a spud to mine, converted to EM, which isn't much help to you... The spud used is the 24mm wheelbase version, I dont think that there's a Black Beetle with a w/b that small.

Not sure if the best solution is the Black Beetle, but the smallest w/b is 23.75mm according to the specification sheet.

http://www.steameramodels.com/bbeetle.htm

From a post on the link I gave earlier (post no 3) referring to the Roxey Planet:

Engineer_London

The wheelbase of the gearbox is 26.25mm, the wheels are Kean-Maygib wagon wheels 12.4mm. The motor is a Mashima 1220, Chris G did suggest a 1020 which I did install, but I got a bit suspicious of its hot running so swapped it for the good old 1220.
The gear box and the chassis allow the front axle to rock sideways, giving better pickup and traction, which given the whitemetal body and high gear ratio should be plenty.
I hope the above helps.

Gordon

In post no 5, poster Decauville1126 says the wheelbase of the Nonneminstre Planet is 24.5mm, so it's not the same as the Roxey model. Knowing Chris Gibbon, though, it wouldn't surprise me if you phoned him and explained what you're trying to do if he couldn't sort something out!

Phil

In post no 5, poster Decauville1126 says the wheelbase of the Nonneminstre Planet is 24.5mm, so it's not the same as the Roxey model.

In the display cabinet behind me sit my Roxey and N/minstre Planets. Checking both models with a pair of verniers reveals that the N/minste kit has axleboxes 24.5mm apart whilst those on the Roxey kit are 24.8mm apart.

The sideframes on the Roxey kit are cast in one piece.

In the display cabinet behind me sit my Roxey and N/minstre Planets. Checking both models with a pair of verniers reveals that the N/minste kit has axleboxes 24.5mm apart whilst those on the Roxey kit are 24.8mm apart.

The sideframes on the Roxey kit are cast in one piece.

Deep joy, so it seems you can use the High Level items for both locos.

Wonder what I'll be buying shortly! :-)

Phil

From Adam's post, no 4, the link takes you to a page on the Nonneminstre site that also shows a kit for a Coles self-propelled crane. This crane also uses a 24.5mm Spud, so can the High Level bits for the Planet fit the crane as well? Now that would be a nice idea!

Phil

From Adam's post, no 4, the link takes you to a page on the Nonneminstre site that also shows a kit for a Coles self-propelled crane. This crane also uses a 24.5mm Spud, so can the High Level bits for the Planet fit the crane as well? Now that would be a nice idea!

Phil

OOps! Should be a WB26 (26mm) wheelbase spud. Correction needed to website and pdf catalogue! But as the body rotates it could be a bit tricky if an alternative motorisation projected above the carriage top!

Paul 'Halfwit' of this parish did a build a while ago and it's either here on RMWeb or in his blog.

OOps! Should be a WB26 (26mm) wheelbase spud. Correction needed to website and pdf catalogue! But as the body rotates it could be a bit tricky if an alternative motorisation projected above the carriage top!

Paul 'Halfwit' of this parish did a build a while ago and it's either here on RMWeb or in his blog.

As you were! The crane should be on a WB24.5 spud - for some reason mine is sitting on a 26mm one and I've only just noticed. Off to the village to book an eye test ........

Link to crane build.

As Peter (D.ville1126) says, the only way* to motorise the crane is with a spud. Luckily the heavy cast body tames the spud somewhat, removing the motor and running it in on the bench without load helps as well.

*It does occur to me that something could be knocked up from Nigel Lawton's range of components, using spud bears on an offset layshaft with a micromotor laying alongside the 'shaft coupled to it using a belt and pulleys.

Archived